Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Today it is My turn.

Got up this morning and my trusty Ole Smart Sensor water pump would not Shut off. Looked for leaks and found none. I got a feeling the smart sensor turned dumb.It just runs at about 1/3 throttle. When I open a faucet flow is greatly reduced. I need to go to camping world anyhow. I sure hope I don't get a lemon, this one has lasted since I bought the coach.

To top off the morning I turned on the front TV to listen to Fox news ( cant miss the signing of Obama Care). No sound from the kenwood amp. Time for that new Blue Ray unit I have been eying.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #2

Same exact symptoms mine had. I think the impeller is partially melted at this point and you'll probably find the motor is way hot from continuous duty.
You might call Shurflo in Irvine, CA and see if they still sell the repair head. They had that in their product lineup for a time at least. If it is not unreasonably priced, that would give you a spare.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #3

I picked up a new pump yesterday along with the silencing kit. I need to go to Lowe's to get a valve to allow me to change the pump in the future with out draining the tank. I plan on ordering a repair kit for the old pump as Mike suggested so I will have a spare.

I wired the speakers to the TV so that is working for now. Bad part is the DW nixed a new Blue Ray unit since I had a work around for the TV. Strange she wasn't willing to use city water for a work around on the pump.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #4

Wayne- if yours is like mine you won't need a valve. I use hose-pinchers to clamp the flex line on the IN side of the pump shut, and take a tupperware container to catch any incidental water. The output side didn't drop much (I relieve pressure @ the utility bay shower head) and the hose can be pinched off close to the pump. I have flex hose on the inlet only. Should get less than a quart to deal w/ using this method. Hose pinchers are handy for other stuff also. I got Lisle brand because for the small took size I get something that does the job well and doesn't take up much space.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

Mike, I decided I needed a bath. So I proceeded to change the pump with the city water turned on. By the time DW got outside and shut the water off I was nice and clean.

I went ahead and put a pex valve on the line exiting the tank. So far the new pump is functioning as it should.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

I guess we'll have to stop saying "Wayne, that dirty rat..."
Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #7

Got that right!

Just checked a replacement smart sensor is $42. **** ouch.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #8

So whadaya get for a smart sensor @ $42? Is that the mini circuit board in the head? Or do you get the pump head & impeller w/it?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #9

Not sure, It is actually called a switch assembly. Got a feeling you get an itsy bitsy switch, a nut and an O ring.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #10

Well I don't need another nut.