Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #1

Being a new bee.
What type of cleanser do you use to clean the toilet? We are planning on always keeping the holding tank empty. Therefore,........I was thinking that Bon Ami would work, as it contains no chlorine, perfumes, or dyes. In addition, it is not suppose to scratch, thinking scratching would hurt the rubber seal. What do you all use? So far, we have just really flushed the tank out prior to dumping and the tanks dry now except for the water around the toilet seal.
Thanks again.
Looking fwd to an Alpine outing.
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #2

Being a new bee.
What type of cleanser do you use to clean the toilet? We are planning on always keeping the holding tank empty. Therefore,........I was thinking that Bon Ami would work, as it contains no chlorine, perfumes, or dyes. In addition, it is not suppose to scratch, thinking scratching would hurt the rubber seal. What do you all use? So far, we have just really flushed the tank out prior to dumping and the tanks dry now except for the water around the toilet seal.
Thanks again.
Looking fwd to an Alpine outing.
Dave

Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #3

Dave - I use the Scrubbing Bubbles Fresh Brush. It's easy to use, a quick swish around the bowl as needed and you are done (sounds like a comercial, huh) then you can dispose of the "brush" down into the tank. It is flushable and septic safe. Have been using this for a couple years and have had no problems. Smells good too. Does a good job. You can get these at any grocery store, etc.

dj

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Donna & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #4

We have used the Thetford toilet bowl cleaner from Camping World (get it at Fife), and like it. We also use Simple Green, sometimes 409, and find it to work well when sprayed in and used with a standard toilet bowl brush (can get smaller ones at Camping World.). You're right, don't scratch it because it scratches easily. Also make sure the seal is working so it retains some water in the bowl to seal the tank from fumes. Cleaning the surface that opens into the tank regularly helps this.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #5

If I read your message correctly, you indicate you plan to leave your black tank empty. this is not necessarily a good idea. Problem is that solids may build up and cause a problem if you leave the black tank valve open to the sewer while camping. I believe best approach is to let black tank build up and then dump and flush. I personally always flush until flush water is nearly clear as it can be. I have a clear section on my dump valve, camping world has them as do many others, so I can see the color and amount of flow. Also I try to dump after I have some amount in black tank, at least a quarter to half, so the movement of the coach has caused everything to mix around and liquedfy. Also occasionally I dump ice cubes into the toliet bowl and flush down to the tank just before going on the road so they will knock around and remove any solids clinging to the side of the black tank. Also I use a chemical, forget which one, to help to disolve contents.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #6

I use Barkeeper's Friend. It is non-abrasive and works on all areas of bathroom & kitchen. It does not interfere with any of the enzyme tank additives and cleans to a bright, shiny finish. I love it in the shower, too. Works great on soap scum and hard water deposits with very little scrubbing.

Claudia

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Claudia,

This is the first I have heard of anyone using Barkeeper's Friend, but it sure sounds like it is worth a try if it cleans and shines in one step. Thanks for sharing this product idea!

Gail
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:17 AM   #8

I think you will find that Barkeepers and Bon Ami are very similar as they will not scratch. I don't understand why you would want to keep your black tank empty.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote