Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Wiring Problem

Need some help again,
We left Tucson headed for Spring, Texas and noticed while we were doing our check off list that the left brake light and left turn signal on our tow vehicle would not come on but the RV did.
Both brake and trun signal work while the car is not wired into the harness from the RV.
Could it be a short in the harness between the RV and the car? Or could it just be that one of the wires came loose on the RV?
The harness is the 4 pin flat wire harness.
Where would one look for a loose connection on the RV?
I know it was working correctly from 11/20 to 12/15. I make sure we check everything before I hit the road.

Roger

Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

Could it be a short in the harness between the RV and the car?
Check the Vansco for turn signal actuation- #1 & #15 for left turn should flash in time w/the dash clicker. If they don't when the toad is hooked up, that's probably a short to ground somewhere between the Vansco & the toad tail lights (yeah, that's the whole setup, but you need more info to nail it down than just Vansco lights. Right turn FWIW is #2 & #16.
If #1 & 15 flash w/toad hooked up, then its an "open" circuit, i.e. something came loose.

Or could it just be that one of the wires came loose on the RV?
Yes it could.

The harness is the 4 pin flat wire harness.
Where would one look for a loose connection on the RV?

I'd start w/a trouble light or an analog volt meter & check the 4-pin flat connector on the coach to see you are getting left turn flash signal there. If yes, problem is on toad.

I suspect when you find the turn signal problem, the brake problem is in the same place. Examine the cord between the coach & toad for any pinch marks where the wire might have been cut.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ours sometimes looses one side turn signal or the other on the toad. I've found if I wiggle the connector in the MH socket it will come of. Sometimes I have to insert a sliver of wood etc into the socket to push the connector to the side to keep it working ....haven't yet gone to the trouble to figure out exactly what is not connecting without the sideward pressure....
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Rather than use the wood sliver;try slightly (and gently) spreading the pins of the car and/or mh socket. Each pin has a slit that sometimes becomes compressed over a period of time. good luck!
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #5

Check the most obvious first, then work backwards to the more complex.

1. Determine if the brake and turn signal work on the RV with the toad disconnected.

2. If #1 is okay, then check the cable connector at the toad. Since this connector is plugged and un-plugged each time you hook up or un-hook from the toad, it is very suspect. Test each pin with a test light or with a voltmeter.

3. If #2 is not okay, then use the test light or voltmeter at the RV socket connector for the cable that goes to the toad.

4. If #3 is okay, then pull the lense cover off the left, rear brake/taillight of the toad so that you have access to the lamps there. Test the lamp sockets with a test light or with a voltmeter. Normally, there is a diode in the brake/taillight assembly, unless you have separate bulb(s) just for towing. The diode could be bad. Test it also.

I've even seen the case where all this testing seemed okay, but the problem turned out to simply be a bad bulb(s). So, try a new bulb(s), also.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
try slightly (and gently) spreading the pins
That may be the tip I need ...thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #7

Thanks for all the information, Mike.

I checked the harness, no issues there.

I turned on the left turn signal and checked the Vansco. The only one blinking was the #1 light, nothing on #15. I then turned off the power to the system, waited a while then turned it back on, hoping it would do a reset, but that didn't change anything.

All the tail lights on the coach weather it's hooked up to the Jeep or not, work.

All the tail lights work on the Jeep when it's not hooked up to the coach.

Roger
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #8

Thanks for all the information, Mike.

I checked the harness, no issues there.

I turned on the coach's left turn signal and checked the Vansco. The only one blinking was the #1 light, nothing on #15.
I then turned off the power to the system, waited a while, then turned it back on, hoping it would do a reset, but that didn't change anything.

All the tail lights on the coach weather it's hooked up to the Jeep or not, work.

All the tail lights work on the Jeep when it's not hooked up to the coach.

Back where I started, never ending, is it?

Roger
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #9

Roger- from now on, when you have the toad hooked up, instead of turning left:
1) take a right, then
2) take a right, then
3) take a right.
Just remember when you sell the coach to explain the work-around to the new owner.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Roger- from now on, when you have the toad hooked up, instead of turning left:
1) take a right, then
2) take a right, then
3) take a right.
Just remember when you sell the coach to explain the work-around to the new owner.
Thanks for the quick reply Mike, at least I got to laugh today.
Roger
Old 12-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #11

I had a similar problem with my 2001 Alpine Coach. On mine there is a module at the left rear of the Coach, down fairly low, like behind the bumper if there was a bumper. This module failed. A Frieghtliner Service Center in Missoula found the problem so I didn't see all the details, but I believe the module combines the left turn signal with the left taillight, and the right turn signal with the right turn light. The module probably uses 4 diodes to to this. This should be fairly easy to test with a test light.

Lots of luck,
Gary
Old 12-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #12

I forgot to ask, what's a Vansco?
Gary
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #13

Vansco is the chassis wiring multiplexing system WRV started employing with 2004 model year coaches (apparently a few 03's have it also). Cuts down on miles of wiring running front to back, includes auto-resetting fuse capability, and gives LED signals of what's working at the time. That's where Roger is looking to see LED#1 blink.

Roger- Gary mentioned a "module" below/behind the rear skirt for combining the separate turn/brake light signals from the coach to a standard 4-flat trailer plug output. You should check the wires into & out of that (follow the wire from the back of the 4-flat on the coach and you'll find the gizmo). If they do not agree then you have the same problem as Gary and need a new box. Any trailer supply joint will have it, CW, most truck accessory places that sell chrome junk, NAPA at their trailer aisle... It'll look something like this.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Vansco is the chassis wiring multiplexing system WRV started employing with 2004 model year coaches (apparently a few 03's have it also). Cuts down on miles of wiring running front to back, includes auto-resetting fuse capability, and gives LED signals of what's working at the time. That's where Roger is looking to see LED#1 blink.

Roger- Gary mentioned a "module" below/behind the rear skirt for combining the separate turn/brake light signals from the coach to a standard 4-flat trailer plug output. You should check the wires into & out of that (follow the wire from the back of the 4-flat on the coach and you'll find the gizmo). If they do not agree then you have the same problem as Gary and need a new box. Any trailer supply joint will have it, CW, most truck accessory places that sell chrome junk, NAPA at their trailer aisle... It'll look something like this.
I think you guys hit it on the head, that's what is hanging under my bumper. I'll check that out tomorrow.
Thanks guys
Roger