Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We are thinking about a new car, suv, or ? to tow. Want 4 doors and automatic. Checked out the Saturn Vue 'Red Line Model' salesman said only the Vue is flat towable 2005 and up. Then found out Roadmaster doesn't have kit for Vue Red Line Model. Going to look at Jeep's next.

Would like to hear from the group what you tow. Please note if you have a driveline disconnect and or trans pump. WANT TO FLAT TOW.

Thanks,
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We are thinking about a new car, suv, or ? to tow. Want 4 doors and automatic. Checked out the Saturn Vue 'Red Line Model' salesman said only the Vue is flat towable 2005 and up. Then found out Roadmaster doesn't have kit for Vue Red Line Model. Going to look at Jeep's next.

Would like to hear from the group what you tow. Please note if you have a driveline disconnect and or trans pump. WANT TO FLAT TOW.

Thanks,
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route

Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
D & D Rich

I have a GMC Envoy four wheel drive with a transfer case which can be shifted to neutral. This feature is available on any GM four wheel drive models with a tranfer case, (not all wheel drive). The nice thing on GM is you do not have to leave the key in the ignition. When shifted into neutral the steering wheel does not lock when the key is removed. This operation is explained in the vehicles owner manual and is easy to follow. No disconnect or transmisson pump required.

I also have the Roadmaster hitch system and a M&G Braking System. Hooking everything up takes about five minutes.

Good luck on your search.
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #4

D&D - Sounds like the Saturn salesman was...well, let's just say, being a salesman. There are a lot of available cars you can tow 4 down. Matter of fact, as far as Saturn SUVs go, only the V6 is towable...don't make the mistake of buying a 4 cyl and expect to tow it. The most popular towable SUV is the Honda CRV...I have taken unofficial count in my travels. I was about ready to purchase one but SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) liked the Jeep Liberty better. I have to admit, I do too but it comes at a price...although cheaper, it is heavier and suffers with poorer mileage. To tow a Jeep, you have to get a 4x4 and tow it with the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park. The Suzuki Viatra is another one I liked but the rear window doesn't open so I let it go. I liked it very much but needed the window to open. Another caveat with the Suz is that you have to start it up every two hundred miles and put the transmission in drive for a few seconds. The Honda has a start up requirement also but it is every 8 hours or before you take off for the day. Anyway, most of the GM and Honda cars and SUVs are towable, Isuzu, and Dodge 4x4 with transfer cases are towable. Everything I mentioned assumes automatic.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #5

I second John's comments on the Envoy. We have a 2002 that we have towed over 18,000 mi with no problems. We use the Blue Ox bar and a Brake Buddy.
There is no mileage accumulated on the odometer while being towed. You must have the 4X4 version. The 2x2 does not have the same ability to be towed flat.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #6

D&D, We have a 97 CRV that has over 150,000 driven miles on it plus another 30,000 toad miles. It still runs like a top and it has never had any major work done on it. We also have an 05 Trailblazer which works just like John's.
MotorHome magazine has a dingy towing guide that they produce every year and is available on the net. It covers official towing ratings for just about everything that is out there.

We also use a Roadmaster "All Terrain" towing system. Which works very well if you and your toad are not perfectly level.
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We just bought a new '05 Avalanche P/U 4wd and will be selling our '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Auto Select Trac4x4 that has 22,000 miles on it. It is silver with grey cloth interior. You just have to shift it to tow it on 4 wheels. It has the brackets and wiring kit for the Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar. It is in great condition and we have had no trouble with it.

Don't know if you are interested in a "used" vehicle but if you are interested - we can send (email) you a picture of it!

The Swans
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #8

We use the Honda Pilot. It is tow ready.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #9

I have an Excursion 4x4 Power Stroke Diesel with Remco Disconnect.

David
Old 09-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
We tow a 2004 Escalade ESV. It's big, but we don't know it's there and it serves as a big trunk. We also use it to haul grandkids, so it's dual purpose.

This rig requires a trans pump and there is no central fuse (would probably have to remove a bunch), so we use a battery disconnect.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Patty and I will travel with rockcj, Dave F,and VAGABONDMAN. If we break down we can always use one of their toads for a TOW vehicle

Still haven't gotten our PT convertible towable yet, and homecomming is only a few weeks away !
Old 09-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks to all who replied...............

Steve S. The Saturn saleman was talking only about Saturn. The previous sedans were towable but in 2005 and 2006 only the Vue is flat towable from saturn...

Lyle & Cath.........Don't know anything about the CRV, is that 2wd or 4 wd, auto or standard. Do you tow in neutral? Is this one of those you stop and start and run through the gears every so often?

Cedar41...........Honda Pilot guess I have the same questions as above?

Swans........Thanks for the offer.......

Tom & Patty..........You have some really great friends! With gas and wear and tear at all time highs, this is the best way to go...

So far we have driven the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Trailblazer and Envoy Denali. Still looking and checking at this point. Thanks to all who responded I appreciate the info. Guess so far the only thing we all have in common is what the tow bar connects too.........

Thanks again,
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 09-10-2005, 05:35 AM   #13

With the Honda Pilot you tow in Neutral. You can only tow 8 hours then you have to run it thru all your gears. It does not register miles either. My Brother just bought a GMC small truck that is tow ready.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #14

I know you were pretty emphatic about towing flat but we use a Demco 2 wheel dolly and tow a PT Cruiser which is my wifes regular car.As a matter of fact I just ordered her a new 2006 GT cruiser which should show around the end of this month. Anyway, long story short the Demco tow could not be any easier and if for some reason you cannot tow your regular tow car you can tow any other car without concern. We have auto transmissions in all of our cars and I have towed my Q45 with no trouble. The PT is front wheel drive and Q45 is rear wheel so I just back it on. It truly is very easy and offers some versatility that you don't have when you are setup to pull one vehicle flat. Worth a 2 thought.

Ted
2005 Alpine Limited 34

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote