Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:44 AM   #1

I have about 45,000 mile on my Toyo M120Z tires. I rotate them on a regular schedule and maintain the correct pressure. I do not like the tread wear pattern that has developed on the front tires.

I have talked with the Toyo national rep and he agrees with me, based on my driving experience, that we should have steering tires on the front instead of all around tires.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? What tires would you use? The Toyo rep recommended I replace them with the Toyo M127 in the same size.

Shopping for tires soon, Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2003, 10:44 AM   #2

I have about 45,000 mile on my Toyo M120Z tires. I rotate them on a regular schedule and maintain the correct pressure. I do not like the tread wear pattern that has developed on the front tires.

I have talked with the Toyo national rep and he agrees with me, based on my driving experience, that we should have steering tires on the front instead of all around tires.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? What tires would you use? The Toyo rep recommended I replace them with the Toyo M127 in the same size.

Shopping for tires soon, Danny

Old 05-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Danny

I replaced our tires with the M127's all around. tryed them on only the front first and didn't like the handling. Now the coach handles much better now. (35 footer) don't have enough miles on them to know how they will wear.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #4

I came thru Medford OR on the way to the Alpine Homecoming and got six new Toyo M127s. Les Schwab and Toyo gave me a very generous trade in. I'll keep you posted on how I like them.

Danny

Old 05-11-2003, 02:57 PM   #5

If you don't mind what was the cost and what kind of trade did you get? Mine have 20,000 on them and was considering upgrading.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:05 PM   #6

It's on a per case basis with Toyo and the tire dealer you are dealing with. I can say I thought they were very fair with me. If your tire are in good shape you will get a good trade-in.

Danny

Old 08-23-2003, 10:59 AM   #7

I met the Byrons (ACA Member) who went with Toyo M147 tires, and the problem went away. Comments? They indicated this tire wear is very common on the Alpine Coach with the Toyo tires. I had 15K miles and the front tires developed a tapper on both the outside and inside edges.

Bernie (ACA Member)
Old 08-25-2003, 04:36 PM   #8

I just put six new Kelly KGR's on my 98 Alpine and took a 300 mile trip on Hwy 360 in Va. Coach handled great concidering the road. Was definitely smoother and quieter than the TOYO's with 30,000. I think I like them and especially the price. (About $1700 balanced and aligned)
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:33 AM   #9

I now have over 7,000 miles on my new Toyo M-127's and I am very pleased with them. The handling is great and I have not noticed any unusual wear patterns.

Danny

Old 09-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #10

Danny,

What did you base your decision on when choosing the M-127's over the M-147 or the M-122 which is the replacement for the M-120? I have 52K on our M-120's (which were rotated at 45K) and am planning to replace them in Janurary.

Wil Rathke
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 04:47 AM   #11

Wil

I talked to the national Toyo service manager at one of our ACA rallies. We went into the pros and cons of both tires.

Even though the 127's have less tread depth, I was told they wear as well and ride better than the 147's. I saw them on a number of big truck also.

The 127's are also a few dollars cheaper too!

If you upgrade tires I would recommend you add a set of the wheel balancers also. They are well worth the money. Search the forums and see.

Danny

Old 10-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #12

TOYO M120Z EXPLODED!! Better ask yourself how you will react if one explodes while traveling 65 miles per hour on a state highway in New Mexico. 45,000 miles, correct pressures, rotated regularly but when the left front tire EXPLODED - you are busy for a few minutes. No piece left bigger than a dollar bill. All I can say is thank goodness I had the forsight to install a Steer-Safe on our 99 40FDS when we bought it new. Blew the shock off, blew off the forward mount to the Propane tank, rolled the steel wheel-well shields up like paper and took out a portion of the left front coach outside panel. Conversation with TOYO rep at Purcell Tire Co in Las Vegas was "TOYO tires don't explode". Not sure yet where this will lead - but I am going to be looking for a better tire than the M120.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #13

Danny,
If you are getting new tires, get them from a semi-truck dealer. I had problems with my Toyo tires wearing on the sides and got the e-mail that this is normal. Coming back from the Alpine rally in California the front tires were so soft on the sides that you could rub the rubber off with your finger. We were in Greenriver UT and could not get new tires, we call Gay Johnson truck stop in Grand Juction CO and we got alot of information about tires. We had the front of the coach weighed so the proper tires could installed. After his inspection I was told that the tires are driving tires and do not belong on the front as stearing tires. The belts do not go over the sides to prevent the tire from rolling over when turning, when you use drive tires in the front. The grooves we all have been seeing is the end of the belt line, these tires should only be used as drive tires. I had Michelin 275 80 R 22.5 XZAZ put on the front and the differance in the driving is like night and day.Im sure other brands that are designed for stearing would do just as good, but I do know these tires worked very well for us. I also had the front end aligned and it did not require any adjustments.The problem I have is; Why do almost all the motorhomes have drive tires on the front, the price differance can not be that much. We all spend alot of money for our coaches and we would expect our units to be safe on the road and have the proper tires. I have heard of a few of the Toyo tires coming apart on the front (not the back ones), A few dollars spent on the right tires may save alot of damage in the future.
Thanks, Frank
Old 12-09-2003, 07:45 AM   #14

Danny, could you send the name and contact info for the Toyo National Rep that is familiar with the tire issue. My front tires @ 15k miles developed a wear pattern on the inside and outside edges. I took it to the local Houston Toyo dealer, he is not familiar with the issue, indicates alignment problems. They don't see many Alpines down here! Thanks!

Bernie - ACA Member 36' 2002 Alpine
BernieS699@aol.com