Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Trading up

Looking at a 2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36. Would appreciate any feedback as any specific things to look for or just share your experience.
gilcolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #2

I've owned a 1999 36' for almost 10 years. The major repairs have been the exhaust manifold (common for this vintage of ISC engine), turbocharger (internal oil leak), CAC (leak caused by oil from turbo), radiator (corrosion), radiator hydraulic fan motor (leaking seals), broken hydraulic hoses (friction due to poor routing and lack of protection), brake pads and rotors (corrosion & cracking). There have also been a large number of smaller repairs which are common for any RV of this age. All things considered, I have been happy with my Alpine Coach and would consider purchasing another used one.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

trading up

Thanks Dave for your input. I`m curious about the mileage on your rig.The one I`m looking at is about 80,000.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

Unlike Dave I have NOT replaced the exhaust manifold (but did replace exhaust and muffler) nor the turbocharger, CAC, radiator and motor. So I would not say these are common Alpine problems. Have replaced normal wear items, tires, air bags, brakes etc. and also had all the windows de-fogged.
My coach has 80,000 miles on it but in a diesel pusher it is not an issue. I would be more concerned with one that has a low mileage.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
My Apline has 117,000 miles on it now and have had to do brakes, replace exhaust manifold, have windows defogged, and replace cooling coils on RV style fridge. Of course, there have been a few minor fixes but that is to be expected on a 15-yr old coach.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #6

My rig has about 95K miles on it. I purchased it about 10 years ago with 55K miles. I am a bit surprised about the number of Cummins parts that "wore out" with relatively few miles. It is interesting to note that many of the replacement parts I installed were redesigned by Cummins. I guess, at least, they recognize when they have poorly designed components.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Brakes, batteries and tires for me on my 2000. 50k when purchased and 75k now.
No engine or exhaust parts so far, runs great.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Our rig has 38K on it, ISL-400; and we have changed the mixing valve on the HH, fixed an oil leak in the engine, modified the air registers on the HH unit heat side, added a computer desk, fixed the dash a/c; annual services included flushing the brake fluid each year or every other year, oil and filter, genset service, engine coolant change in 2011 & 2012 (Genset also)regular inspections of the roof and areas associated with that. It also has a flat screen and silverleaf system installed. I went through and tightened each electrical connection I could get too, and they are all nice and tight now,. New AGM batteries in 2011, and inverter in 2012 with new starting batteries in 2012 as well. Stored covered when not in the SW of the US. It's for sale too. I know there is more, cannot remember what else.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2000 36FDS w/70k miles. Other than original brake recall it's had regular maintenance, batteries, water pump and 2ACs replaced. TV/home theater upgraded. It "may" also be for sale soon.
miaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Thanks all for the feedback. You have been very helpful.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Bought our 2000 in '04 with 20K on the clock. Brakes, batteries(one set of each), tires, lift pump and maintenance. Have a small crack in the exhaust manifold and need to replace the furnace motor.
I feel it has been fairly trouble free at 70K
Added a fireplace and a 42" TV in the front, a 21" TV in the bedroom, all wood valances around the windows, window sills and a few other items. Now it is very comfortable.