Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #1

Trailer wiring adapter

We are taking delivery of our '01 Alpine next week. The coach has a 6 pin round wiring harness from the factory. My trailer has a 7 pin wiring harness. I need a 7 pin adapter (from the trailer) to a 6 pin connector for the MH. I have searched high and low and can not find such an adapter.
Short of changing out the connector on the MH, where can I find an adapter?

Thanks,
Alex
wingtrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
First, seeing that this is your post #1, welcome to iRV2. We're glad to have you on board.

Check out the 4th adapter from the top HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Rusty.

I sure hope I don't have to post a lot of questions regarding the new (to us) Alpine.

HAGD,
Alex
Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

You will !
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Wing,

Welcome to IRV2.com/alpine forum.

You mentioned you are towing a trailer, is this car trailer or another type of trailer? I am going to assume it has electric brakes and possibly you need also to charge a battery on this trailer or require 12 Volts for something. Your 6 pin connector on the coach will have all the wires you need. The only wire you might not have would be backup lights for that you should change the female connector on the Motorhome to a bargeman 7-wire female connector. You will have to add the backup light wire to that connector, by tapping off that circuit (either backup light would work). Regardless the way the alpine is wired, and your owner’s manual (if you even get one) might be incorrect in its description. See this link: http://www.truckspring.com/wiring-info-_676.html

Remember this and you won’t go wrong: This would be the connector on the towed vehicle, not the motorhome connector. My motorhome wiring was all one color (all wires are white-with numbers on them but I believe that is later model units). I used a 12 Volt test light to figure out which wire did what, and matched to the wire harness which came with my tow bar kit from Blue Ox. I just changed the connector to match the Alpine connector end of the cable and matched the colors to what position on the coach matched the operation I was trying to perform, i.e., running lights = brown, etc. You can use the clock face, i.e., 12 o-clock, 6 o-clock, for the correct positions, you can also make a diagram of the coach.

Brown is the running lights - i.e., parking lights if you’re old like me.
White is the ground wire.
Green is the right blinker wire.
Yellow is the left blinker wire.
Blue is the electric brake wire
Red or Black can be the hot lead to charge batteries in the towed vehicle - Note its wire size would be 12 or 10 and be a thicker wire.
Orange (ford would be black w/red stripe) backup wire is the center post on 7-wire connector if done correctly. Please see the link above and find 7-wire example-note two views for each connector female and male, tow and towed vehicle.

You can test the 6 pin connector on the coach using a 12V test light. The ignition switch must be on, but the engine does not need to be running. Someone will need to step on the brakes so you know that the signal is coming through the blinker wire for the brakes. One lead will be hot all the time, which would match up with the Red or Black wire mentioned above. To tap the backup light wires, again the ignition is on, but no engine running make sure the emergency/parking brake is set to on, and as a safety measure, chock the rear wheels of the motorhome. Put coach in reverse, the backup lights should come on.

Two further suggestions:
1. Make a signature file showing the year and model of the coach, once you take delivery and some folks put the S/N of the coach (last 5 digits) since this helps in diagnosing problems within a model year close to the year change.
2. Join the Alpine Coach Association, as we have rallies, and lots of very nice things to get to know other alpine owners.

You will find everything and anything about alpines here on this forum, enjoy and again welcome aboard.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome Alex:

You'll find the umbilical you want at Camping World. I just saw the correct one, there, about 10 hours ago.

If you're like me, you'll read through all the posts from beginning to end. I learned so much by doing so. Feel free to ask any questions you have. There are lots of people with the same year and layout coach, and most of the systems are the same or similar across all years. You won't have to worry about things like the Vansco multiplex, Silverleaf or Hydro Hot heating. If you read a warning, don't get too worked up. You'll likely find it doesn't apply to your coach, or was already fixed.

But most of all, have fun. Nothing drives like an Alpine!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #7

Many thanks to all of you. The enclosed trailer I will be towing has electric brakes and I use the trailer to haul my Goldwing trike.

Thanks,
Alex