Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
My transfer switch is humming and getting louder. Should I replace it and does anyone know of an upgrade?

Richard and Cris
Durham, NC
2004 Alpine Ltd. 36 mds
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
My transfer switch is humming and getting louder. Should I replace it and does anyone know of an upgrade?

Richard and Cris
Durham, NC
2004 Alpine Ltd. 36 mds
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
If in fact that's true, then a) yes, and b) right away. Xfer switches shouldn't hum; to do that they would have to be generating heat and that's not a pretty thought.
Could be something else that's humming. If you can put your hands on the switch housing and feel vibration, then see above (if no vibration there, feel around elsewhere for the vibration associated w/the hum). B4 replacing, try shutting off all power on both sides (inverter as well as incoming 120V or 240V), then open the switch housing and tighten down the connections on incoming and outgoing wires, then close the box & re-energize. If that doesn't fix a hum, then the booger is asking for early retirement and its wish should be granted.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
I am not sure if the power, used internally, to operate the contactor's control circuit is AC or DC. If it is AC, then the contactors will hum as they get older. I have never seen them heat up from this, they just create a very annoying noise. On all of the humming contactors I have seen the contacts are still holding fine. The humming is created by the AC causing the core and part of the contactor that supports the contacts vibrating against the coil and base. The contacts on the contactors can burn with age also.

If you know what you are doing, checking which contactor is making the noise and replacing it is quite simple. If not, just buy a new complete unit.
Dale Gerstel
2007 Limited SE 40fdts
Las Vegas, NV
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
I have the Surgeguard transfer switch and it stopped passing the secondary leg when connected to shore power. This is the leg that powers the front A/C and the washing machine. The transfer switch consists of two three contact relays which are normally open. One is connected to the generator and one is connected to the shore line. They both connect to the coach power. The AC power itself operates the respective relay to pass the power through. There is no DC connection. The box contains other electronics to function as the surge and voltage protection, time delay etc. In my case, the shore power relay had a bad contact that would not close sufficiently. I could push the button on top of the relay that physically closes the contacts and that would do it but under power it stayed open.

When I first opened the box I noticed that the wire from the shore line was loose and that may have contributed to the problem. Fortunately, Surgeguard repaired the unit under warranty. I am in the process of re-installing the unit using plugs and receptacles so I can wire it on the bench and just plug in three connections. This allows me to bypass the unit if it ever fails again just by switching plugs.

As for a hum or buzz, there are capacitors and coils installed to smooth the 60 hz AC. A call to the vendor might provide insight.
Rick J Fisher, BW is Judy
2007 Alpine 34FDDS Limited SE
2003 Jeep Rubicon or a 1995 Toyota Tacoma
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote