Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Bluefox,
What was the part number of the transfer switch you ordered?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If your Transfer Switch is an IOTA, Get rid of it and never buy another one. It's a POS.

Replace it with an ESCO Transfer Switch and you won't be sorry.

Only My Opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Hi Richard,
Would you mind providing us with the basis for your opinion?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post

Hi Richard,
Would you mind providing us with the basis for your opinion?
Certainly.

1) They have a very high failure rate.
2) Caused numerous RV fires.
3) Went bankrupt due to the losses incurred.
4) IOTA no longer manufactures RV Transfer Switches (I wonder why?)

ESCO Transfer Switches are well known in the RV industry. They are still in business and make a high quality dependable product.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Does anyone know who manufactured the transfer switch for our Alpine coaches?

I could look at mine but it's currently in storage.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Certainly.

1) They have a very high failure rate.
2) Caused numerous RV fires.
3) Went bankrupt due to the losses incurred.
4) IOTA no longer manufactures RV Transfer Switches (I wonder why?)

ESCO Transfer Switches are well known in the RV industry. They are still in business and make a high quality dependable product.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Hi Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to what manufacturers switches were failing, only that quite a few members were experiencing electrical problems which would lead to the transfer switch. Since I was curious about the failures I called the manufacturers of both Iota Engineering and Parallax Power Supply and wrote a post of what I found that you can read here.

As part of my conversation with Iota Engineering I found, as you mentioned, they no longer make transfer switches for the RV industry. The reason I was given is they could no longer compete with the four or five other switch manufacturers in price and decided to give up that market, but they did not go bankrupt.

As I stated above, I have not paid attention to specific manufacturers failures and would be interest in information that would support your conclusion to Iota's high failure rate, numerous RV fires, and bankruptcy due to failures. Even though Iota is no longer making these switches thy are still in many RV's, including my own, and I'm sure we would be interested if our RV's are at risk.

As a result of the information you provided I called ESCO today about their 50 amp ES50M-65N transfer switch. My contention is that a switch rated for 50 amps can carry 50 amps continually, but cannot switch a 50 amp load between sources without suffering damage and/or lose of contact life to the switch. Switching a 50 amp load can damage a switch because of the arcing associated at that current level especially when switching high magnetic loads associated with air conditioning motor loads. My contention was confirmed about this with my discussion with both Iota Engineering and Parallax Power Supply, and now today with ESCO. All three confirmed there is no switch geared to the RV industry that can switch high currents and not risk damage and lose of contact life. Also each manufacturer recommends reducing load to 5 or 6 amps before switching load sources.

I do agree that ESCO makes a good switch and is priced about $100.00 above the others. But unless a switch is used properly any switch will fail.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
RJay,

Sorry, I was trying not to get too lengthy in my response regarding the IOTA transfer switch and sorta jumped ahead.

IOTA is a company that was started by the same people that had owned the TODD Transfer Switch company. They are the ones that went bankrupt because of the law suits from fires caused by the transfer switch. As a result, they went back into business under another name, IOTA. You take it from there and come to your own conclusion. Do you think they re-engineered the transfer switch?

To replace a good working transfer switch is kinda ridiculous until it fails, however, it makes good sense to install high quality safe and reliable electrical equipment in your RV to prevent what happen to this person. See link below.

Ten Minutes is All It Took!!! - Fort Fiends

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #21

Although the discussion about IOTA and ESSCO transfer switches is interesting, just to help the Alpine Coach owners and "nssracer" who started this topic, I believe most of the model year Alpine Coaches used a transfer switch from Technology Research Corporation in Clearwater, FL -- model SurgeGuard 40250.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #22

Early Alpines had a separate xfer switch made by Lyght--my original Lyght AC model went out after 5 yrs service. Bought their DC current [no contact chatter] model and have have good service for several years. Generally, yr water heater and inverter/charger are largest draws upon start-up--A/Cs are usually delayed. I could see 15-20 amps at start but not 50, so think most xfer boxes would handle. Newer coaches have a combined xfer and surge guard--made by "Surge Guard".....

PS 5-6 amps is like less than a light bulb--like to think their switches could handle more than that!!!!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #23

My problem is fixed! It was not the generator or the transfer switch. It was the neutral wire in the junction box between the Transfer switch and the generator. The wire and the plastic box melted. Our local RV replaced the box and wiring harness and we are good to go. Thanks for everyones input.
nssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #24

Sounds like the reason was the old "loose wires in the transfer switch" issue. A number of us have had that issue. When I checked ours a year and a half ago almost every wire was loose; were never tightened properly at the factory. It was an issue like yours waiting to happen.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
If that is the Grey box mounted to the underside of the floor just behond the generator, several of us have found that the wire nuts used were undersized by WRV. Cleaning,re-connecting (twisting) the wires togerther, and using the proper size wire nut has solved and prevented problems.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
For those wanting a longer description, read the old posts (couple of years old now) on generator wiring and transfer switch issues. For those who read this forum, and don't own alpines, your suggestions won't work on our coaches, because we have a different breed of cat, especially those coaches with the silverleaf system installed. New transfer switch last time I checked was 345.00 and some shipping charges, and the OEM version is/was still available at least in Jan 11 it was, as I ordered one for a client who wanted to carry it as a spare.

1. Check the wiring from the generator to the coach, junction box located rear of genset compartment - read old post about the potential fire hazard from lose wires.
2. Check connections on all wires in transfer switch/surge guard unit, again, read posts of this condition also about two years old.
3. To keep from killing yourself, make sure you are electrical savy, and if not, hire someone who is, and is aware, that the potential of 50A of electrical current can go across your body, stopping your heart. Make sure you know what you are doing.
4. Also check all 120V and 12VDC connections in the breakers/fuse panels in the coach making sure those are tight as well.
5. On the engine are at least two grounding posts, check to make sure those are tight, check each ground on the coach and make sure it's a good ground,and tight, electrical issues are the biggest issue with alpines.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote