Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Transfer Switch burned up

I need a replacement transfer switch for my 98 Alpine 36fds. The original transfer switch had been replaced and there are no markings or product identification information on the replacement. Any ideas on what (ie manufacturer and product number) I should be looking for as a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and Happy Thanksgivng to all!
florida egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

Recommend the Lyght x-fer switch with the DC voltage contactors [less hum/chatter].....Some units combine both x-fer and surge protection functions--I prefer separate devices...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #3

The original was the Power Switch TS50S made by Todd Engineering. They are no longer in business so you need an alternative.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ts 50 wiring.pdf (71.6 KB, 126 views)
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
The original was the Power Switch TS50S made by Todd Engineering. They are no longer in business so you need an alternative.

Esco makes very reliable transfer switches.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #5

Two things cause the vast majority of ATS failures:

Transferring under load-- arcs/pits the points.

Loose connections=resistance=heat= more resistance= melted insulation and more resistance= failure.

With all 120 VAC disconnected/off (shore power, generator and inverter), open the ATS annually and tighten all connections.

And, do not transfer power sources under load (i.e. turn off A/C, water heater, etc BEFORE changing power sources).

Brett
2003 Alpine 38
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #6

Thanks all. Found replacement at Camping World.
florida egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are basically only two types of transfer switches, possibly a second x2 on the list (I will get to that)
The Transfer switch I have if there is no power.. then it SHORE is connected, applying shore power to the RV does nothing (The switch is already in the proper position)

Starting the generator causes the switch to activate, after a time in period it connects the RV to the generator output.

I have seen one that uses two sets of contactors (or possibly 3), more on that in part 2)

When no power is present it is disconnected, Plug into shore and it pulls in one set,, Start the generator it pulls in a 2nd set..

The part 2 is that this type may also have a 3rd set for inverter power, But as I recall it did not.

However,, You can replace any t-way (Shore/Generator) switch with any other provided it will fit in the space provided,, Not need to get an exact same make/model they all do the same job, they all have the same connections.

Only thing you need worry about is the size (30/50) cause that's different, and in 30's you may have a difference if there are two air conditioenrs. (you can use the two A/C switch in any case you will just have some terminals not connected is all)
Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
This brings up an interesting question (in my mind any ways). Should the transfer switch default to generator or shore power?

I don't know which product Florida Egg purchased but I was reading the description associated with the TRC product at CW and noticed that it defaults to the generator. I'm pretty sure my '03 transfer switch (WRV original) also defaults to generator. I can hear a loud "thud" when connecting to shore power but not the generator.

If you rely on shore power more than the generator why wouldn't defaulting to shore power be better? I would also assume that even the TRC product could be wired "basically backwards" to establish shore power as the default position. Having the default position of shore power means that there's no power transition (relay operation) required and therefore less likely to have a problem (again assuming that you need shore power more than generator power). Am I missing something?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch