Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

Transfer Switch gone bad????

We returned home yesterday after 2 weeks in Pahrump and Las Vegas. The coach performed as it should. On the last day, while plugged in at the RV park, I thought I smelled something electrical. It reminded me of when my inverter went out and all the magic smoke came out of the box. I checked out the inverter and connections to see if I had a loose wire somewhere, I could not find anything and I no longer could smell anything electrical.
We arrived home late in the day yesterday and when I put the coach away and plugged it in, it made the normal popping sound as usual, then nothing. (NO AC from the shore line and the awful smoke and smell). There was a very small amount of smoke and it dissipated quickly. When I opened up the compartment where the inverter is located, I could not tell where the smoke was coming from.
My first thought was the inverter which I replaced a year and a half ago with a Magnum 2800 series. After unplugging the coach, I checked the readings on the Silverleaf. The inverter was inverting and appeared to work, I re-plugged in the shore power and nothing. No power no smell I had no battery charger.
I unplugged the shore power and started the generator. I had AC on both legs, the AC worked, and the battery was charging. All is well on generator.
I turned off all power to the coach and came into the house for the day..
I will start looking for loose wires and bad connections today. I am thinking my transfer switch might have gone bad. If it is the TS (and I think it might be), what is the best brand to purchase?

40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check wire connections into the ATS. The large gauge wires going into the switch can loosen over time and need periodic tightening. The strands in the wire shift and allow the connection to loosen. When ATS is not working, it usually 'defaults' to the generator connection. I'm a little surprised that with smoke and smell you continued to try to get power into RV. Electrical fires happen that way.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

What brand of transfer switch do you have? Mine was a AOTA and it melted. Turns out there was a recall on that brand.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

I installed [replacing the failed AOTA] the stand-alone Lyght TS product several years ago and have not had any issues. Great point--time to check the connections and make sure they are still tight!!!!!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

My transfer switch is a Surge Guard 40250, if I am looking at the right switch. I have not gotten to it yet, except to remove the cover and found no signs of loose wires. I will start with the Electric power reel to see if those connections may be bad and move to the power input side of the surge switch, then to the output. If I have no power at the output, it could be a breaker in the surge protector.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

After checking out the TS problem I found power in but no power out from the shore side of the TS. No signs of burned or loose wires. I called the Mfg and their tech confirmed that the board is bad and the TS needs to be replaced. To confirm the shore side was bad, he had me swap the gen set and shore. Everything works as it should from AC when swapped. I ordered a new surge guard today.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Rusty Bear, I know the thread is old but, I have the same type ATS that you have, did you replace with same type? My is still working at the moment but when connecting to shore power I hear a clack clack clacking sound for 20-30 seconds and the display gives me reasons to doubt the ATS. I'm sure I will need to replace it soon. I am currently using a EMS Portable version 50 amp which is telling me everything is good E0 LS1 121 volts 5 amps LS2 122 volts 0 amps, but the Surge Guard is displaying 121 volts 72 amps on one side and 122 volts 0 amps on the other. Shore pwr active, open ground, reverse polarity, low volts Ls2 120volts. I'm suspicious of the Surge guard (ATS). Thanks

Ralph
Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0808 View Post
Rusty Bear, I know the thread is old but, I have the same type ATS that you have, did you replace with same type? My is still working at the moment but when connecting to shore power I hear a clack clack clacking sound for 20-30 seconds and the display gives me reasons to doubt the ATS. I'm sure I will need to replace it soon. I am currently using a EMS Portable version 50 amp which is telling me everything is good E0 LS1 121 volts 5 amps LS2 122 volts 0 amps, but the Surge Guard is displaying 121 volts 72 amps on one side and 122 volts 0 amps on the other. Shore pwr active, open ground, reverse polarity, low volts Ls2 120volts. I'm suspicious of the Surge guard (ATS). Thanks

Ralph
If your EMS Portable (on the shore cord?) is showing LS1 5 amps, LS2 0 amps, but a second display (on the other side of the ATS??) is reading LS1 72 amps, LS2 0 amps, I'd say you've got an issue, somewhere 67 amps is being absorbed by something.

I'd start by checking all connections to the ATS, they do loosen over time. After that I'd try to accurately measure and test that each leg of your 50 amp service is getting into the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

I replaced my ATS with Surge Guard 40250. It's been working fine since.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 01-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #10

I have been checking the all the screws & making sure everything is tight. The display on the surge guard is bad it always shows 72 amps, could be 7.2 but the decimal is not visible. I know the ATS is clacking and will be quitting working soon.

Ralph
Old 01-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #11

Rusty Bear, may I get an estimate of the cost of the replacement Surge Guard?

Ralph
Old 01-30-2015, 11:56 PM   #12

Progressive Industry products--lifetime warranty.....Surgeguard products--one year...choose wisely---just saying.... [not a paid advertisement--smile]
Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Yes, I have a EMS Portable 50 amp, but I will be needing a ATS soon, the Surge Guard in my coach is going to need to be replaced.

Ralph
Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Ralph--recommend you look at the Lyght DC contactorr product as a replacement...