Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Transfer Switch II

Hi All,

It happened again. Ther SurgeGard RV power monitor said "Open Wire ground fault" when we pulled in to the Springs RV resort in Borrego Springs. Outdoor temp was 105 degrees. I took off the module cover plate and found the single copper ground wire on the output side had come loose again. Simple fix I thought. I re-connected the wire but no joy--still the same message. By now I was sweating and getting overheated. No voltmeter available for me so, I defaulted to running the generator for AC power---All Labor Day weekend! Must have burned $150 worth of dieselThe coach is now in the shop awaiting a final diagnosis. Could be the combo SurgeGard transfer switch has completely failed cause the gen set worked fine and the inverter also could supply AC power.

2006 Alpine 36 FDDS
sdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Realize it doesnt help much now but next time, as an alternative to running the genset, you could simply bypass the surgegard [manual re-wire or built in bypass switch???] and run off shore power--assumes you are "comfortable" with the quality of the power at your rv park. Understand the Surgegard combo surge protector and x-fer switch is "proven" technology but its does beg the question of a single fail point for both surge protection and x-fer [though it sounds like your x-fer is working if the genset powered the coach].

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think your problem is the fact you have a combination device, Modular devices are very nice in that if ONE MODULE fails you can always use the other one and sometimes, It works that way.

Why not go with a generic transfer switch and and put a progressive dynamics RV Surge Guard (power monitor) in front of it?

I prefer the portable types as they are easier to bypass manually and to remove for repair should they need it, To convert a portable to an "installed" use a Hughes Autoformer Install Kit (or make one up yourself)

If you like, put an autoformer in front of it, (That is how I"d do it)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote