Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Transfer switch problems?

Being new to full hookups (only boondocked before), I plugged into shore power with generator running and both air conditioners going. Now I don't have power when the generator is running and unhooked from shore power. I checked circuit breakers and can't find the problem. Searching on the forum it looks like maybe I fried something in the transfer switch. Is there a way to check the components? Or am i best off replacing the whole assembly? What is compatible with a Todd TS 50S? I'm thinking if I need to replace the whole assembly I want something as similar as possible to keep it simple for me to just switch wires and not have to do any new wiring.
This is on a 1999 Alpine 40 FDS

swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
try gen off, unplug from pedestal, turn inverter off, cycle off/on all 120V breakers, turn chassis 12V & house 12V switches off/on. Then try 120V input again and see if xfer switch does the job.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi swish and welcome to the forum!

There has been a lot of discussion about shutting down load before transferring power sources either from generator to shore power or vice versa. Take the cover off the switch and test for voltage going into the coach, if none it's the transfer switch. Also have a look inside the switch for burned wires and contacts. It's not recommended to transfer loads higher than 5 or 6 amps. with the transfer switch.
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club

Hello & Welcome Swish:

More than once I have forgotten to check the circuit breaker on the pedestal or I threw the circuit breaker the wrong way. I even contact the Park Managers and they had to show me how turn on the circuit breaker. I donít like to tell this story but it is true.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
As bad as Dave feels about not checking the breakers on the pedestal, the breaker on the generator is even easier to over look. If you are nolonger getting power from the genset--check the genset breaker.....
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
If you have power from the pedestal and not the generator I doubt the transfer switch is the problem. Check for power with the generator running at the transfer switch with a voltmeter. If no power check the breaker on the generator. Or just check the breaker on the generator
Tom and Sue
2005 Alpine FDQS
tinytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the help. I'm kinda new at this with the electrical system. I understand everything except one that I'm sure is just so obvious to you all. Whats the pedestal?
swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Pedestal is the common name for the electrical box located at each RV or CG campsite where your shore power cord gets plugged into to supply shore power to your coach.

BTW, most transfer switches are designed in such a way that the DEFAULT position is for the generator. If your shore power cable is connected to the pedestal and the generator is running providing power, the transfer switch gives priority to the generator first. Once the generator is stopped, the transfer switch with snap over to the shore power cable supply.

Also, it is not a good practice to have major amp loads turned on when going from shore power to generator and back again. The recommendation is to turn off all major loads when hooked to shore power, start your generator, then start turning on the large loads. Once you are done, turn off the loads, stop your generator, allow the transfer switch to reset to shore power and turn your major loads back on.

I think your problem is most likely the circuit breaker/s on your generator may have to be reset.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote