Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Transfer Switch Problems?

Hi All,
Have an "02 34FDDS. Seem to be having some problems with my Transfer Switch - it's an Automated Electrical Control System with ESP. I have full function throughout the coach when I'm running the generator - battery charging, AC etc...
When I go to shore power, I'm getting an nEU code that indicates an open neutral. When I'm on shore power, my meter shows 120 on the supply side and nothing coming out the load side of the transfer switch. I've tightened the screws on the terminal blocks but they weren't really loose. Is this code coming from the supply side - why do I have 120 coming in at the block? Or the load side - why would everything work off the generator?
Is it time for a new transfer switch? or can I just replace the shore power block?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

waterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

Doesnt sound like the original x-fer switch that came with the Alpine--hopefully someone will have some background on this particular brand of equipment.
PS--the normal failover position for an X-fer switch is usually to the genset so that might explain full function on genset but no transfer to shorepower.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Check your cord for shore power. Check from cord plug to transfer switch. Neutral Wire might be lose. If not there it might be shore power at pedestal.
eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Should have asked--is this a new issue at the campground or something that has been happening whenever shorepower is applied? If particular to this shorepower source, perhaps the equipment is doing its job--"open ground."

Your explanation sounds like you have surge protection built in to your equip. Again, X-fer switches in early Alpines were simple mechanical/magnetic contactor models with no surge protection or digital displays [accordingly, the "eNU code" reference doesnt compute--to me anyway].
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

The "shore power" is actually here at my home - I've checked the outlets and the end of my extension cord and I'm not getting any indications of problems.
Old Scout - I think you're right that my transfer switch was added somewhere along the way. Have read a few other posts referring to the AEC load manager and surge protector - it appears to be an "add on". At this point, I've got no shore power available - and, as of this morning, the generator won't start. The generator start switch shows nothing when I toggle it up. Have checked fuses and the breaker in the battery compartment - they look normal.
Have attached a couple pics of the AES and Remote Display.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2345.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	96475

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	96476
Taking the coach into Cummins (Denver) for an annual preventive maintenance checkup and will run some of this past them or hopefully get a reference on a shop that can help.
Thankfully, the engine and drive train seem unaffected.

On a side note - with my ignition key removed - my wipers will function if I press the button on the steering wheel. Can't really think of a good reason why this would be designed into the controls. Do you think this is normal? Again, it's a 2002.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Transfer Switch Problems?

Waterdoc, please explain exactly how you are powering your coach. The extension cord and "outlets" could be suspicious. Also take a voltage measurement at the input to the transfer switch from L1 to neutral, L1 to ground, L2 to neutral, L2 to ground, L1 to L2 on both the generator and shore power sides the the coach side when on shore and again on gen power. From that we should be able to determine where the problem resides.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I zoomed the pic of xfer switch and the neutral on lower left from lower right looks like it is lose or not connected (load side).
eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

If the problem is only happening at one campsite then I would look for voltage on the neutral to ground. It should be 0 but some old wiring that is too small could leave you with 2 or more volts which will make it think you have an open neutral. You will need a good volt meter to check.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Phil I had the same unit installed in my 2001 Alpine and it went bad and gave me the same code. I had to replace the unit and installed a separate surge protector. No problems since I changed it out, I was never able to find out what was wrong the ESP . ESP was sold to TRC who manufactures Surge Guard.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #10

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get a hold of TRC - looks like they have a Model 40250-RVC that would replace my current one. I'm betting on the failure of the transfer switch also - leading up to this, I would get an error code 8.8.8 on the display which isn't on the list of codes. It was an issue that would come and go randomly.
I'll report back on the final solution.
This forum is invaluable - thanks again.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #11

For what it's worth - I replaced the transfer switch with a Surge Guard 50 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch w/ ATS 40350. Cleaning up the cables and getting them into their terminal blocks wasn't all that much fun but it did the trick. These switches run about $600.
I'm in the same camp as Dave - Don't know what happened, but it showed symptoms of a problem for about 2 yrs on and off before failing.
"Alls Quiet" on the motor home front for now.
Thanks Again

Tags
transfer switch