Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Transmission Comm error

Hi there. We have a 2008 MDDS that has an on again/off again transmission communication fault that won't allow the coach to start. I have spent several thousand dollars between towing and a Cummins Allison truck dealership. The TCM and wiring harness check out. Any one else had a similar problem? We could sure use some suggestion Thanks Dard and Terry Price

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I don't have any experience with your problem but sure am curious what Cummins did to immediately resolve the problem each time. Their actions may lead to ideas concerning a possible remedy.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

....guessing but sounds like a low battery [12v] or a bad ground----check the multi- wire, aircraft-style connector at the tranny--sometimes wires have been known to not get seated in the connector...... Resetting you Vansco comm modules by turning off the main bat switch for a few secs/minutes might solve the symptom if stuck on the road, until root cause is found.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #4

My transmission starting giving me error codes that said things like my oil level sensor had failed, my temp sensor was either too high or too low and the transmission would go in to limp mode occasionally. My Allison dealer (not Cummins) checked it out and found a wiring problem "inside" the transmission. Replaced that and not a problem for 7 years now. Just a thought.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. Both times this has happened and rv was serviced at campground or dealer after tow the coach stated . Go figure! I have new starting batteries and good grounds. I will check connections at the transmission. thanks again and pray for us. Dard
Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardnterry View Post
Hi there. We have a 2008 MDDS that has an on again/off again transmission communication fault that won't allow the coach to start. I have spent several thousand dollars between towing and a Cummins Allison truck dealership. The TCM and wiring harness check out. Any one else had a similar problem? We could sure use some suggestion Thanks Dard and Terry Price

i think you are still going to find it to be on the CAM side any ways

the cam bus is splice so many times with resistors to stop any sound in the system

you are spliced off so many times for ABS ECM allison touch pad .. some newer jack system now talk to it but i dont think so on your year

so i would unplug each unit one at a time to see if like a ABS unit is playing games in the system as a bad unit can

next really low cost MD inverters love to play games in 8.1l ECMs for GM and some games with the TCM

now again sounds nuts but a bad or low cost MD converter yes there is a thing .. can all so play games ... so make sure your inverter and converters are made for a motor driven RV and are D O T safe

as keep in mind when on the road when on inverter or gen set power that ever thing is run to ground .. even one leg of your AC power is all so ran to 12v DC -

this buzz in the system can kill any thing on the 12v side

but i am sure when doing all this testing you have at one time had all power off to gen set and inverters off to make sure of this

so i think where going to find here one of
low 12v dc power or bad gound on
tcm think it get one hot wire at all times
tcm think it has 2 or 4 wires for ground one wire not good
tcm think it has 2 or 3 wires for ground on or more not good
the mane power / ground wire for the VB in the trans has been giving a hard time

3ed or 4th gen tcm is bad .. or if you have one not getting 24vDC
ECM all so could be bad

some one was welding on the unit with out unplugging every thing first

this cam system the wires are 40 feet long and it dos not take much like a DC or AC motor installed next to think to start to play games

any info you can add any thing that is new installed like a home type frig to a DC air pump .. any thing new in the last few months you can think of

how was the wiring tested any thing could help

Tags
transmission