Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

Trashed left side

Thank you border station coming into Vermont. One of those concrete bollards just jumped out and smashed 3 compartment doors, the rear wheel well and the front of the radiator grill panel. Also the exhaust extension and rear lower corner molding. Should have know better when I saw the opening but I thought I could make it. Obviously, did not. And no, I will not post pictures - too embarrassing.
Local RV shop guy from Burlington, VT was in the park and took a look at it. His shop does lot of bodywork - wild ass guess, $4-5000, will need the 3 doors. wheel well and radiator panel fixable. Insurance adjuster coming by in the next few days. Re: the doors - I seem to remember somewhere in this forum, someone found the outfit that has the molds for the doors. Will do a search.
And now to the scotch.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your incident - I hate it when those things jump out like that! Thanks for sharing what is definately a "double Scotch" moment.

Harold

NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

From one of my previous posts:

The firm that makes the door panels and radiator grille in Yakima is Magic Metals; phone number of Gary Griggs, the key contact, is 509-453-1690, and their website is Magic Metals. They have a lot of good panel manufacturing equipment.

They should still have the templates to make these for you.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Very Sorry to hear about your damage. Just curious, what did the agent at the gate have to say? Something like, it happens all the time? They should have standard widths or better markings.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reminds me of last August when I came off the ferry in Portland Maine from Nova Scotia. I was instructed to unhook my toad to get on the ferry in Yarmouth. My DW drove it on board the ferry. When we got into Portland, customs would not let us stop when we got off the ferry to hook up. The customs official waved us in the left lane. When I was finished my inspection, there was a large welding machine in the driveway that impaired my turning radius. I was guided by one idiot in front and one in the rear to go back and forth, then directed to turn right. I heard a loud noise and when I looked in my left rear view mirrion, I saw something on the ground. The idiotin the rear just walked away. The on in the front toldme it was nothing. I stopped and checked and luckily, I had knocked down a speaker on the canopy, not a taillight like I thought. well, when I found a safe place to park, I inspected the damage and I had an ugly black mark on the upper rear of my mh. I called the police and they made a report. Well, that was a joke. When I returned home, customs referred me to city of Portland, said they owned the property. Cityof Portland denied liability, said they were exempt. I had to repair it myself. In the future, I will bypass Portland, Maine or not go there at all.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What happened to you is so unfortunate. I'm not sure what you could have done differently to avoid it.

I hope your insurance is good to you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
Thank you border station coming into Vermont. One of those concrete bollards just jumped out and smashed 3 compartment doors, the rear wheel well and the front of the radiator grill panel. Also the exhaust extension and rear lower corner molding. Should have know better when I saw the opening but I thought I could make it. Obviously, did not. And no, I will not post pictures - too embarrassing.
Local RV shop guy from Burlington, VT was in the park and took a look at it. His shop does lot of bodywork - wild ass guess, $4-5000, will need the 3 doors. wheel well and radiator panel fixable. Insurance adjuster coming by in the next few days. Re: the doors - I seem to remember somewhere in this forum, someone found the outfit that has the molds for the doors. Will do a search.
And now to the scotch.
Um, 3 doors and radiator panel? My wild ass guess is double that number (at least $8000). I had a recent encounter with a 5er where the driver attempted to go around my parked mh and his awning caught the top right corner of my Alpine, scratching the corner an messing up the trim molding(yes, he was THAT close). My wild ass guess for my damage was $1000 but the actual cost was $3200 (his insurance paid). So, if you get buy for $5000 you will be very lucky. In my case, the body shop had to match 4 different colors, even though the affected area was relatively small.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #8

David- I'm reminded of two of life's great lessons:
1) That's why they sell insurance.
2) Life is too short to drink cheap booze.
I'll crank up the martini shaker tonight and commiserate. Hope repairs don't slow you down too much. Cheers!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #9

Sorry to hear about this. Ironic that we just departed Burlington today stopped over in NH, enroute to MA. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
If you have collision insurance, all you have to pay is your deductible, regardless of the estimate. That's why you have insurance!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
Um, 3 doors and radiator panel? My wild ass guess is double that number (at least $8000). I had a recent encounter with a 5er where the driver attempted to go around my parked mh and his awning caught the top right corner of my Alpine, scratching the corner an messing up the trim molding(yes, he was THAT close). My wild ass guess for my damage was $1000 but the actual cost was $3200 (his insurance paid). So, if you get buy for $5000 you will be very lucky. In my case, the body shop had to match 4 different colors, even though the affected area was relatively small.
We could have a contest and the winner gets a new coach special ordered from WRV. My W. A. guess is at least $15,000. It cost over $3000 to repair a foot square hole in my front cap resulting from a new owner of a 36' 5th wheel backing in unassisted. The estimate for my blowout is $11,120 for the fiberglass panel, rim, repair of hydraulic compartment door, minor HWH & keyless entry repair and paint dings down the side (3 colors).
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
We could have a contest and the winner gets a new coach special ordered from WRV. My W. A. guess is at least $15,000. It cost over $3000 to repair a foot square hole in my front cap resulting from a new owner of a 36' 5th wheel backing in unassisted. The estimate for my blowout is $11,120 for the fiberglass panel, rim, repair of hydraulic compartment door, minor HWH & keyless entry repair and paint dings down the side (3 colors).

I had similar damage on my 2000 Alpine water closet to radiator grill. $10,800. That was in 2001.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #13

David, I know how it feels. Bottomed out in Louisiana at a friend's bar ditch entrance to his house/acreage. Right rear basement door damage and frame. $3,200 damage with 3 color paint.

The good news is, it is good as new again. It can always be repaired.

Don
Old 06-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #14

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
I was at the body shop today picking up my coach after the fiberglass panel that took over 3 weeks to build & ship was for the other side. %&^&%*$# (censored) There was a $285,000 coach (don't remember brand) there with $185,000 damage done by a station wagon. Totaled! Took out the whole side and put the owner in intensive care.

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote