Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #1

Cool trombetta solenoid

The original solenoid on my 05 was not working and after reading all the info located within, I purchased a Trombetta solenoid. Well, it is too large and will not fit in the black box in my battery compartment. I then did the next best thing and purchased a Cole Hersee and , wonders of wonders, it is now charging the chassis batteries just fine. I would sure like to use the Trombetta due to everyones thoughts on it. I would like to keep the Cole Hersee as a backup. Was hoping that someone has install the Trombetta and can share how they did it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Happycamper1...Which model Trombetta did you purchase? We do not own an Alpine -but I believe ours is in the battery compartment. (SacsTC has gone to bed - otherwise I would verify the location)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #3

HappyCamp- there are many people still running on the Cole-Hersee (silver in a metal case) solenoid w/4 or 6 batteries and have gotten good service from it. If you expand to 6 large (250+ amp hour) or to 8 house batteries, the larger solenoid would be a better fit electrically. If you wanted to upgrade to the Trombetta and there is literally insufficient room, you could get longer cables & locate the solenoid on the rear (left) bulkhead of the batt compartment ot elsewhere outside the black box; you would have to lengthen the coil wires as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #4

Always an exception to everything. 8 batteries and still on original solenoid. I carry a spare but still have not used it
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #5

Wayne- what do you have in solar panels?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #6

2 50 watt units. I actually was thinking about putting a switch on just before the controller. So I can shut them down in the summer when I am parked at the lake for several months hooked to 50 Amps. I suspect they are overcharging my batteries at times.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #7

I replaced my Cole-Hersee from the orig. to an upgrade Cole-Hersee before the great Trombetta. I bought a spare Cole but have yet to use it.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #8

Monaco Mama - It is a Trombetta Bear Model #114-1211-020. From all the posts, this is the best. Thanks to all for you responses. A friend suggested I have the cover on my Black Box cut and weld on a box extension so the Trombetta fits (it is abour 1/2" longer than the Cole Hersee) with enough room so it doesn't short out with contact on the cover. Although, you have made a good case for the Cole. I have six coach and two chassis batteries. Time will tell. The first one lasted five years and this new Cole Hersee is supposed to be better built than the original.
I think I will keep the Trombetta and purchase another Cole as a spare. If the one in the coach goes out quickly, I will probably replace it with the Trombetta, in the same location but with the expanded box cover. That way, if it goes bad, I can replace with the second Cole.
Am I over thinking this?