Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #1

We had the 3M Shield put on our Alpine at the FMCA Rally in Perry, GA in 2002. This stuff is a mess. We are looking to have it removed, has anyone dealt with this? I am on a search for the receipt. Thanks!

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #2

We had the 3M Shield put on our Alpine at the FMCA Rally in Perry, GA in 2002. This stuff is a mess. We are looking to have it removed, has anyone dealt with this? I am on a search for the receipt. Thanks!

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Which part of the coach is it on? I have it under the door on my 2007 APEX, and it's is starting to come loose at the bottom. If you try to take it off, it will pull the gelcoat I was told, I live with it until I can get a good fiberglass shop to put some gelcoat at the bottom of the door and wrap it around somehow.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #4

It's on the entire front of the coach and the rear view mirrors. It looks awful. We also did an oval around the lock on the door. It has turned brown all around the edges. Some of the front has turned white and it has thousands of scratches that are all brown. We hate it.

We are looking to see if they are going to honor the lifetime warranty since we are the original owners. I hunted down the receipt today and am contacting them tomorrow.

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Old:

Is your coach not painted?

I've read the 3M film can be removed from painted surfaces with a combination of heat, chemical and elbow grease. An installer should be able to remove it. Several companies take off the old and install the new. It seems like most of them are painting companies.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #6

There were about 7 other coaches that had the Star Shield Armor put on at the FMCA Perry, GA Rally in 2002. Any chance any of you reading this are one of them, or know someone that had it done?
I have found the receipt and the brochure, but haven't gotten a call back from them as of yet.

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Be very careful if you try to get it off or be prepared to repaint.I had to have mine removed and when they tried to take it off the paint came with it.One of the problems is the paint job wasn't applied correctly and the paint will pell off very easy.Mine came off in sheets.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #8

Did you have it put on or did you buy the coach with it already on?
Was there any warranty?

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #9

The only way you will get it off is with heat and plenty of time. The problem with that stuff is that it traps moisture under the paint. I have removed lots of that stuff and can't remeber a coach that I didn't damage the paint on. The older the worce. But if you do get it off it will leave a residue that you can get off with kent speedy 500.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I had it put on my o3.The installer sold both 3M and Avery and he said that the Avery was better so that is what I had him put on.It got a bad stain so I had to have it replaced.The 3M installer said that 3M wouldn't have stained like the Avery.The reason the paint pells in my opinion when you try to take the old film off is when WRV did the paint job they don't sand the coach in between the coats of paint.You only have a few hours between coat or you have to sand and I know that wasn't being done.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #11

2racer, From your description you do not have 3M Film on your coach. You have some kind of an imitation. 3M Film does not develope any of the appearances you describe. 3M Film, applied by a 3M certified tech. (very importatnt) will outlast your clear coat paint. It does not discolor or craize or separate from the painted surface if properly applied. This product has a high profit margin, and many fly by nighters have taken advantage of this with cheaper non-3M materials (look-a-likes), and non 3M trained/certified techs applying it.
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #12

I really must agree with Chuck's opinion. Mine has been on for not quite 4 years and has held up admirably. I believe the product you received or the installers were at fault.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
There is only 2 companys that make the film.3M and Avery and if you had your film put on by WRV you got Avery.They call it by alot of differant names.The 3M installer told me after my Avery stained that the 3M wouldn't have stained because the 3M has like a clear coat on it.