Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #1

Trouble with Electric Step Cover

Hello Everyone, Well here's a new one for me today, The in-laws stopped over to see our new coach, and the wife wanted to show them how the electric step cover worked, so she extend the step cover.
Now I can't seem to get it to retract.
Had to jump out and get the step ladder for the wife, the mother & father in-law to get out of the coach.
I did check all the 12 volt fuses on the fuse board in the bathroom, didn't find anything there. No obstructions to be found either.
Has this happen to anyone else? Where do I look next? Hope it's just a blown fuse that I couldn't find.
Thanks in advance everyone.

Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #2

I had that problem once and I vaguely recall that there was a small cushion of some sort on the door that pushed against the actuating pin on the door jam. It had fallen off, so there was nothing pushing against the pin to make the connection. See if the piece is on the door. If not, you could make one with a thick piece of rubber or plastic and glue it to the inner edge of the door. I think I got a spare from WRV at that time, but I wouldn't be surprised if Aubrey's RV has them in stock.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Roger,

The step cover has no fuse it works through the vansco system. Power down your chassis battery which should reset the vansco system. Try your step cover again
Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #4

On my 2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS, the step cover well is NOT square, but the step cover is. As a result, if the step cover is extended to far then it jams by sliding slightly out of the tracks on the sides of the step cover and grooves in the step well. The workaround is to manually jiggle the step cover from outside the coach while someone presses the retract button. This action will un-jam it enough so that it will retract. To avoid the problem, I've found it does not jam, if it is extended about 2 inches short of full extension. See if you have the same problem.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
As Tom mentioned, turn off the chassis battery switch located in the battery bay. This will reset the cover motor by resetting the Vansco unit. However, when this happened to me I found the real problem was that the cover had extended out too far so that when we attempted to retract the cover it caught on the step edge causing the motor to blow again. Seems the cover had been cut a bit to short!

We now never extend the cover all the way out. We stop with a couple of inches to spare. No problems since.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #6

Jerry and Dale

I have the same jaming problem thanks for the info
Old 11-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Reason # 4,837,449 why I'm glad to have an "03" and a MD at that...

No auto step cover...

It seems my decision keeps getting reinforced, the more I read..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #8

Well Guys, You did it again, I reset the Vansco and I'm off and running, You guys are unbeliveable. Thanks for the quick respones everyone.
Roger
Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Mike and Sandie.....................you probably replaced your CD player with an old 8-track unit because you remember how great it performed.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Mike and Sandie.....................you probably replaced your CD player with an old 8-track unit because you remember how great it performed.
Nah,

Installed a combo bluRay/CD surround sound ssytem that allows us to plug in the ipod...I don't even use the CD's anymore! I am all digital!

I even use vspec on a laptop to monitor coach performance!

I am not anti-technology...Iam anti-bad technology, and most of wht I have heard here about vansco is not very complimentary...also I am a "keep it simple" kinda guy....Why have a powered step cover at all?...sometimes I think we add features just to add features...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #11

Electric Step Cover Problem Again

Well I thought I was out of the woods with this problem. Laying in bed last night I thought "what could I put on the slides to make it extend and retract easier".
So this morning I ran to the hardware store and found some bee's wax, thinking that it would work on the plastic slides rails and I would not have to worry about any kind of grease getting tracked into the coach or on someone's clothes.
Got home rubbed the bee's wax on the rails. Went to extend the cover and retact it a couple of times to lube it up, but after I extended it, it wouldn't retact. It extened very smoothly, the cover is not binding at all, seems to be in just the retact mode. Tried pushing it a little while hitting the retract button
Any thoughts Tech Team?

Roger
Old 11-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #12

Roger L.

It's likely binding, then causing the circuit breaker to trip when the motor draws too much current. You have to find a way to stop the binding.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #13

Dale, If it's binding, it has to be on the cyclinder when extened, the cover itself does not appear to have any binding. The bee's wax seems to help it move a little easier. Think I should spray the cyclinder rod down with some type of lube?
Roger
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #14

Roger L.,

I assume you are re-setting the breaker for that circuit by turning the Vansco off/on, after which the step cover will again extend but not retract after you have fully extended. If so, then you need to only partially extend then retract until you find the point where it is binding. That will give you a clue about the binding and what to do.