Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #29

I checked behind the turn signal light panels and found a connector on the bottom panel which was added (middle of the bottom row on the bottom panel), and screws into a hole in that panel. There is no wire connected to that connector, like it came loose, but I can't find that wire anywhere I've looked. I'm curious if anybody else has taken that bottom light panel (think it has the right turn signal light and the top has the left turn signal light) out and also found a missing wire to that connector. That would help me understand if that wire might be a "speaker" wire for the turn signal, since the "speaker" is part of the light panel.

I did find a wire with a taped on "LH" on the top panel and a taped on "RH" wire on the bottom panel, which I am guessing are the turn signal wires. I can check them with my meter when I visit the coach again and confirm. If so, based on the suggestion listed previously, and Mark Harrah's response below, I think I'll wire a Radio Shack chime into each wire, as long as it's not too loud, and use that instead of trying to work through the fixing the panels.

I e-mailed Mark Harrah and got the following response after I did the checking discussed above. It's in line with E-Mike's earlier response. Here's Mark's response:

"The click is from the light panel. the only way to get that one working again would be to get ahold of Actia and have them repair it. Or you could add some type of audible alarm in line."

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like adding the audiable alarm is in order

If you can find the flasher, I'd go with the "Extra Loud" flasher option

Else, I can design a very simple audio device for you.. 5 parts is all I will describe them and you can build them

This will give a "CLICK" sound

Two diodes, 1 resisistor one small speaker

One lead of speaker goes to ground

Diodes hook to RH and LH turn signal lines on one end Use a test lamp to insure that the diodes are conducting when the turn signal lights.. The other end of the diodes go to the resistor

The other end of the resistor goes to the other side of the speaker

Resistor controls the volume (And I might add the current draw) with 14 volts on an 8 ohm speaker that's about 25 watts of audio, so it will be loud, if you put 8 more ohms it becomes 12 watts (E*E/R) I'd go with around 25 ohms to start

Or, you could go with a fairly quiet 12 volt sonalert type device

This would give you a BEEP... BEEP...BEEP. instead of a click click

But in this case all you'd need outboard is the 2 diodes

There are more options too if you like.. You can home make an old fashion telegraph sounder.. That would be best in fact.

The kind of thing Thomas Edison used to become the world's greates telegrapher

Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #31

I haven't checked to see if the annunciator lights snap or screw into the front of the dash. If so, you might be able to pull them from the front & check out how Actia set up the speaker; maybe the speaker is bad.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #32

Hax, thanks for the reply and the cheap speaker design. I might be able to put that together.

But I did find an 80db chime for $9.95 at Radio Shack for this purpose that I think will work exactly for this purpose. I just need to put a test light on the LH and RH wires I found when I pulled the light panels (they screw in, Mike), and make sure they're the turn signal wires for me to wire to, and find a good ground.

I'm still curious about the connection on the middle of the bottom of the lower light panel with the missing wire, or whether it was ever intended to have a wire.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #33

Did you find a speaker in the annunciator assembly?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #34

Mike, no I didn't find a speaker in the assembly. It might be hidden behind the chunk of built in plastic surrounding the connectors to that light panel. Both panels look pretty much the same, so if it's a speaker it doesn't have any holes for the sound to come out, and it's very small. That's what makes me think this connector that doesn't have a wire in it may go to a speaker somewhere else that I haven't found.