RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Turning Radius

Hey all.

Does anybody know, or know where to find, the wheel cut for my 2000 40FDS?
I've combed thru ACA's Tech site but all I could find was a handwritten note that 50 Degrees Radis(sic).
Thats pretty good, I think, but Id like to be a bit more certain and see if I can find the actual designed radius.
Thanks guys. I know it is what it is, but I like to know I'm getting full bang for the buck.

Mikanjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2019, 10:58 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
A 2000 Alpine wheel cut is about 45 degrees if I remember correctly I believe that's what my 2001 Alpine is.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:30 AM   #3

….thinks is either 46 or 48 degrees....some time in late 2003 it improved to 50 or 52, still not that good when compared to modern coaches....so the 40ft needs the better part of a football field [American not Canadian] to turn....so for me, 16 years and 178k miles later, you get pretty good at judging when you can and cant make the turn....better cut would be desirable but not a deal breaker.....IMHO
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

I know you are asking about the THEORETICAL cut angle.

But, be aware that cut angle is easily adjustable on the Sheppard M100 steering box.

Let us know and we can walk you through the procedure.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

….perhaps the gear box is adjustable but WRV had to bend the drag link significantly on the newer suspensions to gain more arc for the wheels/tires to sweep through....of course, this resulted in a shifted in center of gravity for the drag link and caused premature wear with the end joints and grease cups.....
Old 04-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Ö.perhaps the gear box is adjustable but WRV had to bend the drag link significantly on the newer suspensions to gain more arc for the wheels/tires to sweep through....of course, this resulted in a shifted in center of gravity for the drag link and caused premature wear with the end joints and grease cups.....

That is why many of us hung a weight off the drag link to counterbalance an bring it back to neutral.

BTW, I just followed details in a post made here a couple of years ago-- so not my original idea.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for all the help guys

Mike
Old 05-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #8

If Iím making a right turn in my 05, I usually go with the hip rule; once my hip is just past what I donít want to hit, I cut the wheel as quickly and sharply as I can. If itís an exceptionally tight right turn, I allow traffic to pass and swing left a little. Be aware, your nose will end up in the other lane, so if youíre at an intersection the car perpendicular needs to clear your path.

Iím a Navy guy, so excuse the terminology. Iíve found that the law of gross tonnage usually applies. By that I mean that most of the time people can see what youíre trying to do and tend to get out of the way and give you a wide berth...
Old 05-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #9

..your 2005 has a significantly better wheel cut than the OP's 2000--so your "hip rule" probably doesn't apply to him.....or any other body part [smile]…..the first time you misjudge a tight turn and find yourself trying to unhook a bound-up tow bar in the middle of a traffic jam you just created--then you go to a parking lot and practice...
Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
If Iím making a right turn in my 05, I usually go with the hip rule; once my hip is just past what I donít want to hit, I cut the wheel as quickly and sharply as I can. If itís an exceptionally tight right turn, I allow traffic to pass and swing left a little. Be aware, your nose will end up in the other lane, so if youíre at an intersection the car perpendicular needs to clear your path.

Iím a Navy guy, so excuse the terminology. Iíve found that the law of gross tonnage usually applies. By that I mean that most of the time people can see what youíre trying to do and tend to get out of the way and give you a wide berth...
Thanks Tommy. The Law of Gross Tonnage does help👨*🦳