Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

TV Antenna Booster

I have an '05 40FDTS. We are i an area where everyone else can get a good antenna signal with about 20 channels. We get one analog station very weakly. Everyone says I need to turn on the antenna booster. I have looked everywhere for the button or switch with no luck. Any clues? If it can't be found is it possible to somehow wire in a new one? I had a tech out for an hour and he couldn't figure it out.Thanks for any help!!
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The switch for the booster is almost always located on the plate where the jack to connect the TV antenna cable is. It is quite small, and there should also be a light that comes on when the booster is activated. These connections are usually located in a cabinet close to the TV. They sometimes get hidden behind dvd players, etc..
Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The booster is not always located at the TV. It may look like this>
Signal Amplifier, White

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

The '04 coaches had a Winegard switchbox. It had a switch on the left side to turn on power to the booster. If the '05's still had the box, look there.

If you are relying on over the air, consider installing the Winegard SensarPro booster and digital signal meter. It works great.

Do your TV's have a digital tuner? At least some '06 coaches did not.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, that's it, and in both my former C and current A, it is located in a cabinet next to the TV with the antenna cable from the TV attached.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #6

On my 05 the amp is located behind all the crap in the cabinet to the right of the TV. I do not recall a switch, there is a light. I only took the mess apart one time and did not pay too much attention to the amp.

Ken
Ken T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #7

The amp is actually in the antenna head. The switch plate just supplies power to it.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please do not think I am trying to start an argument. I truly dislike to see that on this forum. Just so as not to confuse the OP, some antenna heads do not contain the amplifier. The link posted above is for an amplifier panel for non-amplified heads.

Description

White amplified wall plate with on/off switch and indicator light works with Winegard non-amplified 75 ohm RV antennas. Uses 12V DC. 1 per pack.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
If you find that the switch is on (if it worked before, it probably is) the problem is most likely in one of the coax coming from it and to the "A/B" switches in the left cabinet or actually at the antenna on the roof. In my '05 I found several bad coax connectors (on the white cables) and resoved the problem by cutting them off and replacing the connector. Good luck.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I have a "JACK" antenna. Will the Wineguard amplifier work with it?
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
I have a "JACK" antenna. Will the Wineguard amplifier work with it?
If its the original one that came with the coach it is not a amplifier the amp is in the antenna head as it is in the jack. What you think is a amp only provides 12v to the antenna head and will work with the jack antenna.

I removed the Wineguard antenna from my coach and installed a Jack antenna using the Wineguard power supply that was installed in the coach. Works perfect.

I then installed the Wineguard antenna at my house and used the Jack power supply. It works perfect also

I thought the Wineguard antenna was bad but turned out to be a bad cable
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytom View Post

I thought the Wineguard antenna was bad but turned out to be a bad cable
A much more common failure!!

If somebody put a splitter in the coax line between the switchplate and the antenna head, that can block the power from getting to the head as well.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #13

My booster switch was not accessible until I removed the bottom cover under the TV. I had to move it out to be accessible. Also do you have a batwing or a Roadstar? On my factory installed Roadstar all the contacts were corroded and did not work. Also the roadstar doesn't work as well as the batwing.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #14

Definitely recommend checking the connections and cable on the roof--at some point the crank-up antenna had trapped the cable during crank down and broke the copper lead wire inside the co-ax cable.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna