Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

TV Coax Routing 2003 Alpine 38FDDS

I am in the process of sorting out the AV equipment wiring and have a question:

The Wingard TV (over air) antenna is just forward of the galley. The coax is not run from it down into the coach and forward, but is run on the roof all the way forward, then across just behind the cap seam to the left side where it dropped down into the AV area.

There is a Wingard "thru roof" plate just forward of the Wingard antenna, but was sealed (including the top-side coax connection) with caulk.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A WIRE CHASE FROM THE ANTENNA LOCATION TO THE AV AREA FORWARD. If so, I will replace the "thru-roof" plate with a new one and route the cable through it and forward that way.

Other option is to come down just outboard of the antenna into the passenger's side overhead cabinets and then forward inside/through the cabinets.

Just does not make sense to have 15' of coax running forward and then all the way across the roof.

Thanks.

Brett

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Havent heard of any "wire chases" in the roofs of Alpines--dont think the autoclave process they used to laminate the roof panel would allow for it. Two options: 1--down the A/C tunnel in the middle of the ceiling; or 2--down the top of the roof as your rig suggests.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Thanks, Dean,

Yes, there is a wire chase-- at least there is one from in front of the front A/C forward. The Original (read that two generations ago) satellite wiring ran through it.

I just find it strange that there was a Wingard "thru roof" plate in place immediately in front of the Wingard antenna, but blocked off with caulk.

So, others with this vintage coach also have the over-air antenna coax running on the roof???

Brett
Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

Brett,

My coach is a very early 03--the Wingard is a combo satellite dish and over the air antenna--manual crank-up. The two coax cables from the antenna run about 2 feet across the top of the roof to a small, thru-roof plate. The cables exit inside in the control panel area that is above our dining table -- this is on a mid-door model. From there, they across behind the wood work panel above the door and down behind the refridge to the basement.....
Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

OK, more work on the roof-- removed the Wingard "thru-roof" connection plate located immediately in front of the Wingard antenna (just in front of galley area on our coach) and what do you know-- THERE IS A COAX CONNECTED TO IT. Will be a couple of days before I get back over with a helper to see just where it goes and whether it is electrically sound. Very strange that is was blocked off and sealed and a wire run 10' forward on the roof and then across from passenger's side to driver's side.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like this was done differently, even on the same year model depending on AV equipment.

Brett
Old 10-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #6

Interesting--sounds more like an "after-market" engineering project Vs a WRV OEM solution--but then again, you cant underestimate WRV's passion for doing it "different."
Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

UPDATE:

OK, coax wire from antenna (right side just in front of galley on 2003 FDDS) to TV switch box area: The Wingard thru-roof female to female adapter plate is immediately in front of the antenna itself.

There is a channel in the foam insulation running outboard from that. Very easy to cut a 5/8" hole in ceiling of the overhead cabinets to access the "floor" of that channel and run the coax forward in the cabinets then forward and over to the TV switch box area.. Much cleaner than running it all the way forward on the roof and then across to the driver's side (which may have been done by the previous owner).

A related question: Where does the DHS sound system get it's input? I see the red/yellow/white from VCR goes to the front TV, but saw no output from either VCR or Pioneer Plasma TV to the DHS. WHAT AM I MISSING? Thanks.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 11-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

Another related question: If we upgrade from the current TV (actually a monitor-- Panasonic TH 37PWD4) to a 40: LED such as Samsung UN40J6200AFXZA, how do we connect to the DHS sound system?

Assume with the new TV that we can do away with the Toshiba VCR which we do not use for its VCR function, though it is currently used to tune channels on the original TV (actually monitor).
Old 11-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

Brett,

The '04 had switched to a home theater in a box surround sound system instead of the DHS system, so I can't help you a whole lot. I did help some friends with their '03 many years ago, but my memory is poor. It seems to me that there were "speaker" outputs on the plasma, and that was somehow connected to the DHS. Or the red-white stereo audio output from the VCR went to the DHS. I believe there is a switch on the dash to switch the DHS input from the dash radio to the TV sound. I have no idea where those wires are located.

The '04 plasma screen was different from the '03. The '04 had the TH-37PWD6 model. I have since switched mine to a TH-37PH10UK, now discontinued. Still a plasma monitor, but I have dual HDMI inputs.

Most flat screen TV's will have a stereo audio output, the red-white RCA jacks. Somehow that needs to go to the red-white input on the DHS, but probably through that switch.

You might consider scrapping the DHS system and put a sound bar system under the new TV.

I replaced the original sound system with a Panasonic Blu-ray home theater in a box sound system on my coach. I used the existing speaker wiring. Easy swap for me. Probably not for you, as you would need to get to the speaker wires somewhere.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

In looking at the TH-37PWD6 manual, there are speaker terminals to be used to connect external speakers, which we don't have. If the TH-37PWD4 was the same, that would be what they connected the sound to the DHS. I think WRV used that connection to get the sound to the DHS. Not very good from what I remember. The system had a 60 cycle hum in it.

The '04 didn't use that system. The VCR stereo output was connected to the sound system, not through the TV. The VCR composite video output went to the plasma, but not the sound.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 AM   #11

finding tv cable

Hey a little late, but I have the 03 38fdds and went into all this. The wires on roof on mine where all shorted and one of the owners just cut the wires off and installed a in motion satellite dish over cab. I checked so I could watch normal tv and found the wires. Look in the cabinet above the driver on the sidewall corner and you will see a antenna cover. that is the switch and booster for the antenna and old satellite that cranked up. It also is a push button for booster. When you pull that out the cable has color tape on it. Yellow red and white That's why when you ohm there is a problem. That is also a directional switch. So ohm from roof to that box and you'll find the wire you want. I hope I'm not confusing you.

Larry Pate
2003 38fdds 350 Cummins
Boston Ky
Old 11-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #12

Thanks, Larry.

After several hours with an ohm meter and a long wire, I pretty well got things sorted out. I tried to go back and edit my posts to help others in the future, but the edit feature is not available after a short time.

And, it sounds like there was a lot of variation even within the same model year and floorplan-- likely dictated by A/V options chosen by the original owner.

I removed the satellite dish which was on center and just aft of the front cap seam. Made "cover plates" from 1/8" thick aluminum plate painted white and bedded in Sikaflex 221 white.

Then ran a new antenna to Winegard box as described above. Then from Winegard box to Zenith converter box, back to Winegard and then to the TV's. Saw no reason to replace the perfectly good Plasma TV just because I could not figure out the wiring.

Both TV's now work off air and will verify on park cable next time we are out at a CG. That is really all we want.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #13

The plasma monitor does have a great picture. LCD's can't match it. But it is a power hog.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #14

Ken L.

I too have an 03 Plasma TV with external sound system. It is a DHS surround sound system connected to the "speaker out" terminals of the plasma monitor. The volume is controlled by the TV. With the Samsung LCD TV that I purchased to replace the Plasma the Audio Out can be input to the DHS system but I cannot control the volume with the Samsung. Samsung tells me that none of their TVs will control the volume to the Audio out for external speakers. I get sound but I have no control of the volume. Samsung tells me that I have to use the volume control on the surround sound system to control the volume. I believe that I have no volume control on the DHS system. I like the surround system and want to continue using it, any one with any ideas??? I am leaning toward opening the TV and bringing out the speaker wires to feed the DHS system the way it was for the Plasma Monitor that came with the coach. Samsung does not recommend this approach. Of course not, but what else can I do? Ken