Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #29

Bill,

You are correct, the Winegard RC-DT09 does have a coax output. It is their "coupon" converter box, and does not provide HD output. I have the RC-1010 which does have the HD output but no coax output. The RC-DT09 was not out when I bought mine. Sorry for the confusion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dang, I am going to have to go draw a diagram as I can't seem to make that work in my head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I have had some time to think and there are almost too many variables to give a good answer to this. The first complication is what kind of a Video Control Center that you have (3 inputs, 5 inputs, 5 plus DVD) and second, how many components besides the TV setup that you want to use.
If you have a 5 input and you only use a DVD or VCR plus over-the-air TV I would suggest that you take the TV1 output and connect it to the converter. You would then take the converter output and run it to a splitter and connect one of these to the Satellite connection and one to the Aux. Now you can select DVD/VCR or digital TV on either front or back TV's. You could improve on this setup if you are using a DVD and satellite but getting the 6 input controller and plug the DVD into necessary ports, the satellite into satellite and the split output described above into VCR and Aux. There are simply too many options here to describe all but the setups are certainly doable and the variety of options will only be limited by your imagination. If your satellite/DVD/VCR has an antenna input this will also work with the hardware working as an A/B switch. i.e. Satellite receiver on you get the satellite signal. Satellite receiver off you get whatever is plugged into the antenna connection.
KISS is the best approach but many folks will want it all and this can take a bit of imagination!
Remember that if you want to watch to different over-the-air channels at the same time, each TV will require its own converter. This is actually easier to setup ad you just insert the box in-line to each TV. You would need to keep the boxes separated however as trying to change the channel on one converter box that is in the same cabinet will likely change channels on both boxes.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is their "coupon" converter box, and does not provide HD output </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim,
There is no reason that any "coupon" box would need to pass an HD signal. The idea behind the coupon is to ensure that those who cannot afford to upgrade their analog TV to a digital TV would still be able to afford to buy a converter. Since NO analog TV can utilize the HD signal there is no need for any "coupon" converter to pass an HD signal.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #32

Bill,

Since this thread started out on the Alpine Coach forum, many (if not most) of us have digital monitors (with no tuner at all) that can take advantage of the HD signals. So for this reason I was trying to encourage the Alpine Coach members to take advantage of it.

After it was moved in to the general area, I now realize that there are many that don't have digital monitors. So my comments don't really apply to them. I'm sorry it got moved into an area where my opinions don't apply.

Therefore I will opt out of this thread.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #33

I'll share just a little bit of information on the Winegard converter box (and some others). As far as being able to pass an analog signal, the Winegard converter box will NOT do this currently. And from my understanding, none of the coupon eligible converter boxes will do this. The FCC didn't put the analog pass through as part of the coupon eligible boxes until very recently. So anything that is in stores now, and coupon eligible, will NOT pass an analog signal through the box. Eventually some boxes will have this function in them (Winegard and others).

Regarding the RC-1010, Jim is correct in that it is the ideal solution for those with HD monitors (tuner not built in), but it does not qualify for the coupon. The only boxes that qualify for the coupon are the "bare bones" boxes that only do digital to analog conversion. Any extra features (HD,DVR,etc) make the boxes not coupon eligible.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jd_hoffman:
SNIP
And from my understanding, none of the coupon eligible converter boxes will do this. The FCC didn't put the analog pass through as part of the coupon eligible boxes until very recently. So anything that is in stores now, and coupon eligible, will NOT pass an analog signal through the box. Eventually some boxes will have this function in them (Winegard and others).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my coupon (actually a card) yesterday and the list of boxes that came with it now shows three that will pass analog signals.
Echostar TR-40, Philco TB100HH/TB150HH9 and Magnavox TB-100MG9/TB100Mw9.
They must have updated the list and added them.