Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

Does anyone out there understand all this Digital to analog TV conversion stuff that will happen next year? Are we Alpine owners going to have to have convertor boxes in order to watch over-the-air (local) TV ? As I understand it DirecTV and Dish are not affected as they are already digital. Comments?

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #2

Does anyone out there understand all this Digital to analog TV conversion stuff that will happen next year? Are we Alpine owners going to have to have convertor boxes in order to watch over-the-air (local) TV ? As I understand it DirecTV and Dish are not affected as they are already digital. Comments?

Being pushed by a 2006
Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I understand it. In Feb you'll need a converter box or digital tuner in your tv to watch over the air tv. It doesn't matter what kind of coach you own. If you don't care about local tv and have DTV or Dish, you are good to go. This is no different than cassette replacing 8 track or cd replacing cassette or dvd replacing cd. It's just technology marching on. I have raised my bat wing 5 times in the last 2 years. All to clean the roof. Network TV is void of content.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #4

Instead of buying a convertor box, I'm planning on replacing the old DVD player with a DTV DVD player. This upgrades the old DVD player and allows digital signal to the tele. All the information about DTV is here.
If you have a television made within the last 3 years, call the mfgr phone number in your owners manual and inquire if your make,model, serial# has a Digital tuner.

DTV is not the same thing as HDTV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Network TV is void of content. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is just about true for cable and satellite also. 250 channels of nothing.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #6

Ray,IN - Replacing the DVD/VCR combination player with one with a digital tuner is what I'm planning on doing also. BUT be careful, I found out the other day that there are new DVD players on the shelves that don't have tuners in them so they will be useless for what we want to do. I wondered why some of them were around $85 and others were $180, now I know. Can't imagine why anyone would want one without the tuner, how are you going to tell it which station to copy?
Wagonmaster2
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #7

Historyljc - I'll certainly agree with you on the 250 channels of Nothing. When I signed up with DTV and getting 150-200 channels I thought, wow I'll never lack for something to watch. Wrong. Out of all those channels, if I can find a couple each evening worth watching I consider it a wonder.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #8

C&H,
The simple answer without the soapbox add-on's about the good, bad and ugly of TV programming is that if you want to watch over-the-air TV you MUST have a converter, a new TV with a digital tuner or use something like the DVD option mentioned above.
There is great information available at www.dtv2009.gov including:
"At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting."
This is also where you can apply for 2 $40 coupons usable for 2 converters (only 1 coupon per box).
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the digital TV deadline will be like the passport deadline. The change over will be a fiasco and analog broadcasting will go one for a couple years.

And there is always radio.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the digital TV deadline will be like the passport deadline. The change over will be a fiasco and analog broadcasting will go one for a couple years.

And there is always radio.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will you come back on Feb 18 and say the same. From what I have heard virtually all of the TV stations have already complied. If not, they will be taken off the air AFAIK.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:

Will you come back on Feb 18 and say the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see this is not a question but I'll be here Feb 18th, God willing.

And what does AFAIK mean???

-Tom

Old 05-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It was a question because I am not 'quite' that cynical when it comes to technical advances.

AFAIK= As Far As I Know.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm not cynical of technical advances, I'm cynical of a government mandate.

After the passport "fisco" , I'm sceptical of the analog to digital TV mandated change date.

The shutting down of analog cellphone service last winter is another example. I had analog service in VA 2 weeks ago.

As I stated I'll be here next Feb., to eat crow.

-Tom

Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #14

Hey Tom, I had to look up Sarver, PA. I grew up in Pleasantville which looks like it's about 50-60 miles NNE of you. I have been in most, if not all, of the 50 states but I have never seen The United States from the perspective of your map. Is that as viewed from China? Harold

Being pushed by a 2006