Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #1

have a 05 40mdts., surround sound was RCA (Thompson electronics) quit working probably because of no ventilation in compartment above driver side. Was able to purchase Sony unit that is currently used. question why is sat receiver to TV and surround sound receiver to TV not using S-video leads. From everything I've seen s-Video quality is superior.
Have seen posts about fan noise in newer coaches, Picked up 2- 4 in. fans w/ ball bearings at Quartzsite for $4.00 (110 volt, attached to round existing hole between tv and component cabinet and hole sawed a 4" hole between tv cabinet and pass. component for 2 nd fan for Sat receiver. Cut the center out of all 4 doors and installed expanded aluminium for ventilation, Looks better than wood panel. hooked up fans for both sides in TV compartment (lots of room) with each fan blowing into component cabinet. very quiet and cools all 3 compartments.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #2

have a 05 40mdts., surround sound was RCA (Thompson electronics) quit working probably because of no ventilation in compartment above driver side. Was able to purchase Sony unit that is currently used. question why is sat receiver to TV and surround sound receiver to TV not using S-video leads. From everything I've seen s-Video quality is superior.
Have seen posts about fan noise in newer coaches, Picked up 2- 4 in. fans w/ ball bearings at Quartzsite for $4.00 (110 volt, attached to round existing hole between tv and component cabinet and hole sawed a 4" hole between tv cabinet and pass. component for 2 nd fan for Sat receiver. Cut the center out of all 4 doors and installed expanded aluminium for ventilation, Looks better than wood panel. hooked up fans for both sides in TV compartment (lots of room) with each fan blowing into component cabinet. very quiet and cools all 3 compartments.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Are you going to be at the Las Vegas rally next weekend? I want to see & hear what you have done!!!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #4

My '04 used a VCR as the tuner for the TV, and it only had a composite video connector on it. Everything was coax wired to go through the Winegard switch box to distribute all inputs to the VCR (to the plasma) or the bedroom TV and outside connection. Coax gives the lowest picture quality, but is the simplist to wire and use.

Alpinerver, you are correct, the S-video feed is better, but the component feed is even better. And better still is HDMI. I wired my DVD player using component leads directly to the plasma, and connected the Tivo to the S-video input. (S-video is the best the Tivo has.) I still wired the coax feeds to the Winegard switcher to feed the bedroom and outside TV's. The RCA satellite receiver that came with my coach even had component video outputs, but I replaced it with the Directv Tivo.

The picture is definitely improved. The VCR is for sale! Cheap!!

I believe the later coaches changed the wiring, and might be better than what came with mine. So the Swans might not need to change anything. I don't know.

Thanks for the tip on the fans. Mine doesn't have cooling fans. But everything on mine seems to be staying cool enough, but if we spend more time in hot places, it might become a factor to consider.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #5

alpinerver,

great idea

with all of your fans blowing air into the area for your components did you leave a hole for the air to come out? Even though the area is certainly not air tight, it would be a good idea to have an exit for the air (either passive or active)

On ours their are 4 fans all blowing exhaust air towards the windshield (which can be turned on for additional windshield clearing on really fogged up windshields) but I have always felt that maybe the fans should be two in and two out for best cooling.
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote