Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #15

For whatever it's worth, my experience with the setup in our coach is as follows:

Front TV
All signals (satellite, cable, antenna) are routed through the Directv HD receiver
Directv HD receiver directs video to the HD TV
Directv HD receiver directs audio to DVD/CD player
DVD/CD player directs audio to the speakers
Rear TV
All signals (satellite, cable, antenna) are routed through the 3 button (A-B-C) switch

After arriving at a new location:
raise batwing antenna
connect up the campground's tv cable to coach
turn on front TV & the Directv Satellite receiver
push menu button on Directv remote
select "Directv" from on screen menu
select "Initial Setup" from on screen menu
select "Signal Strength" from on screen menu
select satellite "A" & transponder "2" from on screen menu
start King Dome satellite signal search
when King Dome signal search is complete press "Exit" button on Directv remote
on Directv HD receiver open door and press the little red reset button with toothpick or something similar
HD receiver will take a few minutes to log available satellite channels
when loging complete, should have all the satellite channels per your subscription
return to Directv satellite HD receiver remote and push "menu" button again
this time select "Setup"
select "Channel Scan"
select "Start"
Directv HD receiver will scan for the available "over the air" (batwing) channels (including regular & HD) and the campground's tv cable channels
When scan complete, use Directv remote to select any of the channels available (satellite, cable, over the air) for front tv
for rear tv, insure A-B-C 3 button switch is in proper position for "over the air" channels
on rear tv remote select "menu"
select "Channel scan" from on screen menu
tv will scan for available "over the air" channels
when complete, insure A-B-C 3 button switch is in proper positon for tv cable
on rear tv remote select "menu"
select "Channel Scan"
tv will scan for available camp ground tv cable channels
when scan complete, rear tv should receive all available "over the air" & the camp ground's tv cable channels
for rear tv satellite channel, set rear tv to channel 3, select proper position on "A-B-C 3 button switch" up front, select satellite channel with the Directv receiver remote
BTF

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #16

Many thanks again for taking time to write detailed replies to help us. Ed and Dale, I suspect we are in the "same boat" as far as wiring goes. Bigfish, your post is exactly the type of step-by-step instructions that I will have to have. I'm printing all these instructions.

Well, we are at Ft. McAllister State Park, just below Savannah. Last night we watched a DVD.
Gee--with as much money as this fancy front TV setup costs, I hope we can use it for more than DVD's.

A few stations on air is all that is possible from here. I was even ready to think about subscribing to satelite, but from what I read on these posts (or at least the way I understand it), that has its own set of headaches.

Oh, for the days of "on" and "off."

Beverly

Old 10-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #17

Bigfish,

I am shocked that you have to go into the setup mode every time you set up camp. My setup might be different than yours. I have a Kingdome and a Directv Tivo. On my system, all I have to do when I set up camp is turn on power to the Tivo and start the Kingdome search. The Kingdome can find the satellite without going into the setup mode. In fact, the Tivo does not even have to finish booting in order for the Kingdome to find and lock onto the satellite. On the rare occasion that the Kingdome finds the wrong bird, pressing the start button for a short period (not long enough to start a new scan) will find the correct one.

Then once the programming info is downloaded (about a minute or so), the last used satellite channel comes on. No need for the setup mode.

Same was true with the original RCA satellite receiver (not HD).

You might want to check to make sure you are not going through more than you need to do each time.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM   #18

Jim,
Don't have Tivo, just the HD Directv receiver if that makes any difference. King Dome is a model 9702. Early on, I think I tried short cutting w/o resetting the reciver after the King Controls found the correct satellite but it did not work that way. Will try it again next time I have to make a setup to confirm. Also have run into situation where the King Dome will lock onto a Satellite and system will receive signals on the even numbered transponders, but no signal on odd numbered transponders, so I like to see that "on screen" signal strength graph and you can only get to that through the on screen menu Directv Initial Setup. In that case I hit the search again but only for 1 sec. instead of the initial 3 sec. and contiue that until correct satellite is located.
BTF
Old 11-01-2006, 05:56 AM   #19

Thanks to all of you who posted regarding our TV problems. Wanted to give you an update. We have concluded there is something wrong with the front TV. A friend, who doesn't give up easily,was helping us. He finally gave up. I made a printout of all posts. We used instructions and could never get anything. The dealer we take our MH to (not an Alpine dealer) will not work on tvs. Our plans are to go out to the factory in the spring. We will forget about the front tv in the meantime. I have filed all the posts with our instruction booklets.

We did not have cable at our campground, but turned the back tv on (simply turned it on--did no set up). It worked fine for one channel and fair reception for two more (Savannah, GA channels), which are all we were supposed to be able to get in that area.

We have discovered that our antenna will not turn at all--perhaps we could have gotten the other two channels clearer.

We'll try to stay at a park with cable the next time out and work on getting that sorted out.

Thanks again.
Beverly and Buddy
Old 11-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #20

Buddy and Beverly,

I think you will find that the reason your antenna will not turn is that when you pull down the knob to turn it, it disengages from the splines on the unit. That is what mine did. The knob shaft is too short. It is a simple fix. You need an extension for thicker roofs from Winegard. I think it cost $2 with $4 shipping.

When I get home tonight, I will email you the Winegard instructions pdf for the extension. The email address in your profile correct?

Also, is the "pointer" on unit pointing to the front or rear? It should be pointing to the rear according the Winegard installation instructions. Mine, and at least one other Alpine Coach I looked at, pointed to the front. When you put on the extension, remove the four screws and turn it 180 degrees. (The extension is indexed, so it does make a difference.)

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #21

Buddy and Beverly,
I know you have received lots of replies to your post on the tv issues in your coach and plan to come to the factory some time in the future. Let me add some more info to what you already have. Your tv in the front will tune in local and over the air channels though the directv receiver for the front tv. It is a RCA DCT210. Using the setup menu you set the receiver to no dish and then search for local channels. Thats all there is to it. ( page 25 in the RCA DCT210 owners manual) To receive local channels over the air on the rear tv, the tv tuner must be set on "AIR". For cable the tuner must be changed to "CABLE". This is accomplished using the tv menu.
Regards,
Fredie
Old 11-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #22

Buddy & Beverly,

Don't give up.

"Fredie" has my "credibility vote" and appears to be an informed voice from WRV.

If your Sat receiver is the RCA model cited and can tune local channels (UHF/VHF) without receiver activation (or re-cabling hassles), this is the solution I believe you were seeking.

Give it a try and let us know.

For the rest of us "Good Sams" earnestly attempting to help others with AV issues, I've learned it's a very difficult task due to very different combinations of AV components, especially during the last few years (unless ,of course, one has the same combination).

From what I've seen in this post, there are significantly different AV component configurations between 04 to 06 models, maybe even within the same model year.

For instance, the Winegard ~20 button switch box seems to be gone in later models, perhaps replaced by the 3 button "ABC" switch mentioned by BigFish? And, the Riverpark DHS sound system (04 and earlier) seems to be replaced with a component amplifier (also BigFish). And, the presence of Sat receivers with internal "TV" tuners has eliminated older VCR/Tuners for local channels (as in my 04). Although the Wilsons mentioned a hidden VCR (presumably used as a TV tuner) in their 06!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #23

Thanks Fredie and Jim and Mary Jo,

It will be about a month before we are out in the RV again. At that time, we plan to go to Orlando for a couple weeks. There should be good air reception there, so we can test the rear and front TVs again. We will be staying in the city park, so there is no cable. However, we may try to stay at some parks on the way down and back that have cable and can experiment again.

Yes, we have an RCA in the rear (not sure of the model number as I sit here writing). We do have the ABC switch configuration at the front of the coach, as mentioned by Bigfish.

Jim and Mary Jo, yes, my email address is the same as in my profile. I would appreciate your information on the antenna. Yes, I think we have the problem that you described. Sounds like that would be an easy enough fix.

Thanks again for your help. I will make printouts of the most recent posts and take them with us.

Beverly and Buddy