Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
TV Upgrade to 1080 HDTV

2005 Alpine Coach FDDS, 2003 Saturn LW200 Toad
I would to upgrade my TV to a full 1080 HDTV flat screen.
Has anyone done this? If yes, please provide me with instruction or post the instructionin the
Sticky: Quick Tips & Easy Mods- Alpine Style

Thanks TJ tjshively@gmail.com
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
You will need a H D Satellite receiver Winegard TRAV'LER RV Satellite Antennas - DIRECTV HD RV Antenna on your coach, then all you need to do is to buy and install a 1080 HDTV flat screen TV to replace your current TV.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
i just carry my hd satellite antenna with me and set t up where ever im at. I have the hd dvr recorder reciever i leave in my coach.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hello All, Amazon has the best price on the Winegard Antenna, at least it was when I checked a few months ago. Around 1499 or so. One fellow had Camping World in Coburg, OR install his since the winegard rep said they had the best install crew.

I would also do my own, but that is a big chunk of change for TV, not to mention the TV, and satellite receiver upgrade. From talking to others and reading on this forum, WRV installed lots of unnecessary A/B switches, and the wiring in that compartment is a rats nest.

Having a thorough understanding of HD-TV-Satellite and its associated system is a good trait to have. I would take lots of pictures of what it looks like before removing all the rats nest stuff. If you have the funky TV signaling system, the wires are very small or fiber optic and can be broken easily, be careful. The new sat dish needs to be installed behind the front ac since if it was placed where the existing Kingdome (assumed) is located, it will vibrate in the wind. This has been reported by other owners who have done this job. I can assist you some with questions, but the best advice is, use all new RG6U or better cables, and get a good quality cable from HD or Lowes making sure it has lots of UV protection in the outer sheath, and use white color for all the roof wiring runs if possible. Mark each wire one each end with colored tape, or figure out a wiring marking system you won't forget which one is which. I would also put a A/C switch up front so the Satellite Box for the rear TV (if used) can be turned off when you don't need it. New boxes I think handle more than one TV at a time (not sure about this) You can most likely get a free upgrade from DTV for the latest box, if you currently have service, that would be leased equipment. You can also purchase a box from several vendors, so you don't have a contract to deal with (not sure about that part). You have lots of questions to answer, especially if you want to deal with all the costs associated with a HDTV upgrade. When we went looking for a new TV, all the sales folks said wait till 2015 when Panasonic comes out with their new LED TV's since they use the best components and parts when building them, and their quality control is better as well. Lots of folks use LG, we have had trouble with those folks phones, and I won't use VIZIO for personal reasons, we have Samsung and Toshiba sets at home and are pleased with them. If money is not an object, upgrade to the 4K sets since that gives you the best picture for sure, and keeps the equipment from being obsolete 4 weeks after you replace it all.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:25 AM   #5

One caution regarding 4k. We were considering making the jump a until we learned that there is presently very little content available in 4k and not likely to be any for the next 4 yrs. There is one program on Netflix and maybe one or two others. It might be prudent to wait and see what develops. Just something to consider.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Latte View Post
One caution regarding 4k. We were considering making the jump a until we learned that there is presently very little content available in 4k and not likely to be any for the next 4 yrs. There is one program on Netflix and maybe one or two others. It might be prudent to wait and see what develops. Just something to consider.
Same with 1080p. You can have all 1080 sets you want but unless the content is broadcast in 1080 it does you no good.
Our cable company transmits most stuff in 720.

The 4K stuff is unbelievable but a minute amount of content is available. DirecTv probably offers the most but I think to stream a movie in 4K is like $20.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
OK, How do I remove the Sharp TV installed by WRV? I just would like some input before I start. Has anyone actually replaced the TV set? If YES please provide some info.
Thanks
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

Did you ever get your tv out and a new one in? I'm in the process of sorting out the mess around and behind the tv and vcr.

I'm curious what you came up with for a replacement and did you simplify the existing wiring? The ab switches and rf modulators and stuff should be less complicated.

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #9

I installed a 40" samsung newest smart led tv,I can do my e-mails linked to my phone on the tv. removed the old vsh tape player added a samsung smart dvd player it is seamless.ran hdmi from sat rec. to tv.tv sees what turn on and connects to it when sat. signal is present tv auto connect turn off sat. and turn on dvd and tv auto connects and so on.I DON'T have to push all the buttons and change remotes inputs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150328_071742.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	93559  
Old 05-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A floor mounted installation!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
All - Have not taken out TV, but mine would be easy, take off the metal undercover unit (which supports the center channel speaker), and that gains access to the bolts which hold in the unit.

A word of caution, know what each set of wires which are currently connected to you current TV set do, since they all do something. They have to go into the new set, which may require adapters or new plugs because the old stuff is not supported today, i.e., S-Video gone - HDMI now is the standard.

The new set needs to have at least as many "inputs" as the old set since all those components need to work. As mentioned in my original reply to the main post, it's a rats nest in there. Make sure you know how a/v system wiring work, and what each input or wire does. Don't just go in there and rip stuff out thinking you will just replace it all, you have for instance:

1. Incoming OTA (over the air) antenna connection which also goes to the bedroom TV through an A/B switch.
2. Incoming satellite receiver wires, i.e., RCA or HDMI type input jacks, or both, or some other method. Those also go to the Bedroom (rear) TV unless it has its own satellite receiver dedicated to it. Two receivers will each have incoming roof Sat Antenna wires. (This also leads to another question, DirectTV, Dish, Canadian Resident, rent box, own box, which is better choice, DVR capable, the list goes on and on.)
3. Silverleaf TV Unit, which if equipped has an input into the TV, in my case it was S-Video type input connector which is no longer supported in current A/V industry, so you must get an adapter from Tiger Direct to make it HDMI. It works, the shipping on the adapter was more than the part.
4. VCR - Some coaches were equipped with a VCR hidden up and behind all the components for use as a tuner to the monitor which some coaches had. That now is a boat anchor since all new TV's come with a built in digital tuner, some of which are junk, and some of which are very good. You must research which TV have the best digital "pulling in" capability, not just the best picture and sound.
5. What type of audio system will you continue to use, mine has a Sony unit, which plays DVD's CD's but not Blu-Ray DVD movies. It does however have Dolby 5.1 surround sound. It's not worth my money to change out that unit as the new TV will have an HDMI input which allows me to plug in my PC and play Blu-ray movies through it, or plug in a portable player for those.
7. Numerous A/B switches and splitters are in behind the TV not to mention the "Winegard OTA" amplifier for the OTA antenna, which needs to be used in any application.

With all that said, if all you do is change the TV, then it needs to have enough incoming inputs to match up with your current system, a few more would be nice. But this leads to another question?, are you going to change the mounting bracket bolted to the front of the coach? If so, make sure it tilts down 30 degrees so when watching that new Hi-Def TV, you don't get neck strain. That also leads to this fact: Motorhomes move (earthquake going down the road), so the bracket needs to be strong enough for those road stresses. Don't take the salesman's answer, do your research first.

In my research on TV's, they rate out in the following order (FWIW-Samsung was making about 60% of all the screens used in TV land in 2013, don't know if that has changed:
1. Panasonic - for LED and Plasma(uses a lot of power). But, cannot seem to find anything less than 40" in size-which requires all new front end cabinets-read $$$$$$$$$$$$.
2. Samsung
3. Toshiba
4. Bunch of new players in the market place, many Korean, and the quality is dubious to say the least, so if not one of those first three, buyer beware. Consumer Reports and Consumers Union, rate lots of TV's, and I say now, those ratings are crap, because, you need to focus on three things, Income signal pulling power, size, LED/LCD/Plasma, or 4K (read $$$$$$$). And inputs, then quality, Panasonic being the best quality, which I got from several different salesman some of which don't sell them. Price should be the last thing you think about.
5. LG,
6. Sony - FWIW-had all my Sony stuff quit on average within 1 month of the warranty going out, (with the exception of the unit in the MH, it has never missed a beat) won't have them period, maybe quality is better, but been burned, and not going down that road again, we are talking big screen, two different 25" PC monitors, and two VCR's.
7. There is one brand, which is made in Europe for the USA market, handmade, very expensive, cannot remember the name, it would be my first choice if I was Bill Gates money.

This process is not for people who are not qualified with some A/V experience and some electrical/electronic knowledge, since while you are in there, the duplex receptacle (2-3) are the RV type and are junk, do yourself a favor and change them out to the residential GCFI type while you have all the crap out of your way. This will require a new half height box's, hence the electrical experience.

This is not all there is to know, but I have been messing with this stuff since I was a kid, a long time ago, and I generally keep up on PC's and this equipment. It's starting to dwarf me, and I mostly know what people are saying. Don't forget-Smart TV. That in itself is another education.

Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I just finished installing a 40" Samsung Smart TV in my coach like Ron & Jeannie last week.

I removed the old TV and both cabinets, resized them and reinstalled cabinets and the new TV. We love the finished product. Ours is a celing mount.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I recently bought a 2005 Class A. My first project was to remove the original Samsung 27" CRT (tube) TV. It was destroying my front overhead cabinets from the weight.

I installed a 32" Samsung "Smart" LED TV in the front overhead cabinet. The Smart TV has WI-FI built-in and I connect directly to the Campground WI-FI and access Internet Services like Netflix, YouTube, etc. I bought a Blue Ray DVD Player and connect to the LED TV using a HDMI cable. I use this to play my DVD/Blue Ray DVD Movies.

I removed the Analog Converter Box used with the old CRT TV from the RV Switch Box and connect the COAX cable to the LED TV. I use this connection for the Campground cable or roof antenna for OTA reception. I plan to upgrade to the latest Winegard Sensar IV antenna for OTA HD reception. Not using Satellite yet, maybe in the future! I'm happy with the Samsung Smart HDTV features!
Regards, Larry
Old 05-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #14

My goal is to have decent tv in the front and bedroom. I want to make them independent of each other. Bedroom tv and dvd player and leave the front as it is for now. I think the whole thing is too complicated and I want to clean it up a little. I have a friend who is heavy into all this techno stuff and I can pick his brain. I have everything out of the front cabinets and on the dash working. I have all the original coax identified and marked. Now I'll just start eliminating things and see what happens! I sure can't do anything that I can't pay to have fixed.
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade