Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #1

Our u-joint failed at 20,500 miles. Fortunately, Buddy is very attentive to listening or "feeling" about anything regarding an engine. We got it fixed in Billings, MT.

Has anyone else had this problem on one so new (or not so new, for that matter)? I would certainly caution all to be attentive to the slightest sign that all is not well. Ours was not noticeable enough that I felt it in the passenger seat.

I called Chris Scott at WRV to advise him of the problem. When I called back after getting it fixed, he said to send the bill, and he would "submit" it to the Warranty Review Board.
We have had other problems that make the $361 not seem important.

Beverly and Buddy
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #2

Our u-joint failed at 20,500 miles. Fortunately, Buddy is very attentive to listening or "feeling" about anything regarding an engine. We got it fixed in Billings, MT.

Has anyone else had this problem on one so new (or not so new, for that matter)? I would certainly caution all to be attentive to the slightest sign that all is not well. Ours was not noticeable enough that I felt it in the passenger seat.

I called Chris Scott at WRV to advise him of the problem. When I called back after getting it fixed, he said to send the bill, and he would "submit" it to the Warranty Review Board.
We have had other problems that make the $361 not seem important.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #3

Beverly & Buddy,

Check out this thread about u-joint problems:
U-joint, Yoke & Differential problems
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #4

Beverly and Buddy, Ours failed in the middle of Texas at 10,000 miles. It appeared there had not been grease in them since day 1. WRV stood behind it and paid for the repair. Hope you get the same results.

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #5

Thanks, Dale for this link, which I did make a printout of. Thanks also Kent and Sharon for your reply. It seems we definitely aren't alone on this issue.

I got a call from Chris Scott, and they are going to take care of it.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #6

Buddy said the first thing he checked for was grease in the u-joint, and that our front one had plenty, so lack of grease was evidently not a reason for ours failing (they had been greased when serviced, also). He said that it was hard to tell about the rear one--the one that failed. Buddy has changed a lot of u-joints in his life, and he said that after it failed,it was very hard to tell if one had had grease because it blows the grease out when it fails.

Anyway, it seemed of interest that all the u-joint failures seemed to be on '06's. I don't know how many '06 owners participate in this forum, but if one considers all the 06 owners out there who don't even know of this forum, there could be quite a few more with failures.

After finding out quite a few had failed, Buddy was concerned that it could possibly be a design flaw and would keep happening. After reading these posts, he said WRV had probably been sent a box of bad u-joints from the manufacture.

Guess nobody has driven theirs enough to see if it's a repeat problem. Until then, we assume it's a one time problem. If so, then we're thankful we've got that problem behind us.

WRV is taking care of this.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 09-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #7

U-Joints replaced at about 3000 miles on my '06. Had a vibration when starting from dead stop. Found to be dry.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote