Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that he was refering to the new engines runnin the new fuel, not the old engines running the new fuel. The new engines run hotter and require API CJ-4 oils versus the API CI-4 oils presently being used. The fuel in itself shouldn't affect the engine oil. There's more info on this in the RV Tech Library at This Link.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2006, 05:42 AM   #16
I do believe at the Charlotte pre rally that the Cummins guy from Yakima, name escapes me Mike Young maybe, did make the 1000 mile statement. At the latter Nashville rally he corrected that and stated that no changes in sceduled oil or filter changes would be required for ULSD in engines built prior to 07. That was good news to all of us.
I had a problem with my engine fuel system and I talked to him on the phone to get his input. I found very available and helpful. If questions still persist on this subject it might be helpful for someone to call him and post his comments here. I am away without the MH and do not have his phone number.

2001 36 MDDS
03 Honda Pilot toad
jetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #17
Mike Young is the Cummins guy from Yakima. He knows is stuff about Cummins engines and has always been very helpful. His number is 509-248-9033, e-mail: www.michael.a.young@cummins.com.
Mike and Nancy
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
2009 Hummer H3 Alpha
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
Mike Young's 800 number is 1-800-688-9033. He is a very knowledgeable person and worth talking to. He gives Cummins a good reputation.
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
I had a call into Mike Young Cummins Northwest yesterday before the posts about Mike. Today (29 Dec 2006) I talked with Mike about the effects of Ultra Low Sulphur Fuel for older than 2007 (new engine) Cummins/Alpine Coaches. Per Mike Young:
"¢ Use same Oil and Mileage Intervals
"¢ Fuel Economy may be slightly less. May not be noticeable.
Lift Pump (12V pump computer activated by ignition switch being turned ˜on' runs to prime fuel system then shuts off 12 seconds after engine start) ISL (400) has a sealed Lift Pump and new fuel has no effect on them leaking. ISC engines have a bolt together pump and these are the ones that can potentially leak from the new ULSF fuel. The ULSF has been in use since September according to Mike. He feels if you have driven around 5,000 miles with no leak, you should be ok. Cummins where he works in Yakama has only changed 5 lift pumps on ISC engines since September all trucks. The pumps can also fail from other causes besides the new fuel. He said Cummins also isn't stocking any additional pumps as they don't expect an increase in failures. Also there is a gasket/o-ring kit available but didn't know if they were in stock yet. He felt the couple places that have installed lift pumps most likely had the pump in stock and not the kits. Wanted to pass this info along, hope it helps.

FYI .... Mike Young has been over to WRV within the last week and they are building coaches again having started about two weeks ago. Cummins delivered an engine last week.
D & D Rich

Dan R.
2004 Alpine 40 FDTS
D & D Rich is offline   Reply With Quote