Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #1

We have had numerous issues with trying to level our 2000 36' MDSS coach. If we are not on a reasonably level surface to begin with, the 'out of level' warning indicator lights up more often than not (sometimes I can override manually, but not always.)

Unfortunately most of the places we camp aren't really that level...

I've tried blocks of wood or plastic leveling blocks under the jack pads to no avail. I'm beginning to think WRV installed undersized jacks on the coach.

I've seen many other coaches (not necessarily Alpines) with the tires completely off the ground when the jacks are extended; in fact I saw one coach up near Mammoth where the driver was installing chains and had lifted the whole axle off the ground with his jacks to install the chains!

Now I know our coaches are much heavier than the average gasser, but I still think the jacks should be able to lift the coach sufficiently to at least level.

According to HWH's website coach configurator the jacks recommended for a 2K Alpine 36' would be 9K in the front and 12K in the rear. Does anyone know what would have been installed on a 2000 36'? It does have the 600 series controller pad (and associated equipment I assume); would I be able to change the jack units themselves without affecting the rest of the system? (I know this is probably a question for HWH Customer Service, but...)

Thanks,

MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #2

We have had numerous issues with trying to level our 2000 36' MDSS coach. If we are not on a reasonably level surface to begin with, the 'out of level' warning indicator lights up more often than not (sometimes I can override manually, but not always.)

Unfortunately most of the places we camp aren't really that level...

I've tried blocks of wood or plastic leveling blocks under the jack pads to no avail. I'm beginning to think WRV installed undersized jacks on the coach.

I've seen many other coaches (not necessarily Alpines) with the tires completely off the ground when the jacks are extended; in fact I saw one coach up near Mammoth where the driver was installing chains and had lifted the whole axle off the ground with his jacks to install the chains!

Now I know our coaches are much heavier than the average gasser, but I still think the jacks should be able to lift the coach sufficiently to at least level.

According to HWH's website coach configurator the jacks recommended for a 2K Alpine 36' would be 9K in the front and 12K in the rear. Does anyone know what would have been installed on a 2000 36'? It does have the 600 series controller pad (and associated equipment I assume); would I be able to change the jack units themselves without affecting the rest of the system? (I know this is probably a question for HWH Customer Service, but...)

Thanks,

MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #3

Mark I too have a 2000 36 MDS their are times that it is hard to level. I was told that in later years Alpine lowered the jacks down on the frame. I think if you call the factory you might be able to get new brackets. I thought of doing this but it looked like too much trouble for the few times I have found an unlevel campground. Jim
Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #4

I had the same problem on my 98. I heard you could move the rear jacks to the front and get new larger ones for the rear.
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #5

Mark

We too seem to camp on unlevel ground on a regular basis and have had the "excessive slope" light come on many times. However, by placing 2 or 3 2"X6" blocks, which we always carry, under the low side jack pads and re-leveling we can usually bring the coach up to the desiered hight. Sometimes this means almost lifting the front tires off the ground. Not what we like to do but in some cases we just don't have a choice to achive plumb.

Fred

2000 36' FDS Alpine Limited
Kori & Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I'll agree with everyone else here. I make a point not to raise the tires off the ground. Two 2x6's will come very close to raising our rear wheels off the ground. If we are going to do that I put the rear wheels up on 2x6's also. Be sure to support the entire tire. It will take a board 12 inches wide to properly support one tire, and you need to support both tires.

I'll pull into a spot, dump the air read the HWH panel and decide where to put the boards. Seems to work for us.

I don't worry if we aren't perfectly level front to back. If we are close the refer works fine.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #7

.02 cents worth. I also have had times when the coach 03 38' would require one of the rear tires to be off the ground. This would create a situation that would not allow the air brake to keep the MH from moving.

What I did to solve this was to go to Napa and buy their rubber chocks for about $28.00 a set of two, here in Fairbanks, and placed each so both rear tires where chocked. Also One set of chocks was used on a front wheel as well. This was a safety issue that was solved that way. I presently have three sets of chocks that makes sure the coach will not move when elevated to level in an unlevel parking spot. Mike E.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #8

Mark,

We too had the same problem as you on our 99 coach. This past September we went by the HWH factory in Moscow, Iowa and learned from them that Alpine had put in an undersized jack (6K) on the front even though HWH had recommended they use a 9K. We had HWH install 9k's on the front and the problem was solved. Total cost $691.22. Our problem has been solved. We had 9k's on the back and elected to leave them there instead of moving them to the front becaued we have had no problem with lifting the rear, even off the ground.

Greg
gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #9

Wow Iron Mike, you only value your suggestion at two hundredths of a cent (.02 cents)? I would have said it was at leas worth 2 cents! Seriously, chocks are a very good idea. Although I seem to recall that every hydraulic jack leveler I have seen on any RV provides a warning stating that the wheels should not be lifted off the ground with the jacks...probably a safety issued and the manufacturers are attempting to cover their back 40.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #10

SteveS, thanks for your comment. Have been following your addition to the forum ever since we had the telecon some time ago.

When we joined the local RV club several years ago we were parked at Quartz Lake and in order to be a part of the group we moved the MH to a spot that put the rear end off the ground on one side. Got to thinking that I really didn't like the HWH keeping the MH from rolling backwards. I used some 2 X 6 pieces to chock the offending wheel. The groups wagonmaster mentioned the chocks that NAPA sold, so having bought them we no longer worry about unusual attitudes except when flying. The MH does not have a locking rear end so one wheel off the ground is a big deal. Probably this has been addressed in better detail than here. Thanks again for the reply.

38' 2003 Alpine, 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitari

The less a man judges others the more he looses site of himself. Author unknown
Old 11-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
For my $0.02 just to let you know that you should not lift the wheels off the ground without support under the axle. When you lift the wheels off the ground the only thing that prevents it from continuing down is the shock absorber which then supports the entire weight of the axle.

When you are not level you should drive the coach on blocks under each tire that is being raised. This will keep all wheels/tires on a hard surface and you can chock the opposite axle/tire.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #12

Thanks Dave, Your clarification like so many of your inputs hit the nail right on the head. Thanks. Mike E.

38' Alpine, Suzuki Grand Vitari

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Please don't quote me or bring this to DW attention. Aint this fun in the off season?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I use our large rubber chocks when we stop on a incline just to rest. Make me rest easy

Mike, unusual attitudes flying? I've always wanted to visit Alaska and ride in a C-195 . Land on a lake