Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #1

Our friends bought a new 2007 34' FDTS from a local dealership on October 18th and they have had many problems and they are not getting fixed to their satisfaction at the Dealer. It has been 1 1/2 months now and it sits on the lot waiting for parts. He is in manufacturing and the answers he is hearing don't match up to his experience with parts delivery. Anyway he is quite frustrated and would like to go further up the chain to the CEO of WRV.
Anybody know who he is?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #2

Our friends bought a new 2007 34' FDTS from a local dealership on October 18th and they have had many problems and they are not getting fixed to their satisfaction at the Dealer. It has been 1 1/2 months now and it sits on the lot waiting for parts. He is in manufacturing and the answers he is hearing don't match up to his experience with parts delivery. Anyway he is quite frustrated and would like to go further up the chain to the CEO of WRV.
Anybody know who he is?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I believe the person you are looking for is Richard Fish (not sure of the first name, but I think it is Richard)

You don't state what part of the country you are in, but we just spent four weeks at the factory in Yakima, WA.

They tried very hard to take care of our MANY concerns, but I am not confident that things are going to stay fixed. We have not had a chance to really take the coach out and use it yet.

If your friend wants to talk to me, send me a PM or email and I will give you my phone number.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #4

Clark
You can have your friend contact me I will help him anyway I can! You have my contact info. Thanks Ron
Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I Understand There concerns I have Been fighting with CONSTANT problems for TWO Years on a 2006 APEX, (JUNK) is the only way I can describe My Apex!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #6

You think you've got problems. As long as we're doing one of these, "My Alpine has more problems than yours," here's something for your reading pleasure. We bought a new 2006 36' FDTS from Lindsay, February of this year. During the past 10 months it was with Guaranty for 3 months throughout the summer. Say goodbye to the summer vacation and all the rallies. They did a nice job at Junction City, on 65 items, some big some small. Really great people who do excellent work. The primary reason for all the delay was due to the TOTAL
lack of support from the parts people at WRV. The majority of the problems should have been addressed prior to the coach leaving Yakima. This is the old song that plays over and over here on the Forum. Guaranty completed all the items with the exception of 6 or so, not bad at all. After driving from San Diego back to Junction City and expecting a quick turn-around we waited another 9 days for more parts from Yakima and the finalizing of a few repairs. Prior to returning to Junction City for the retrieval we received the news that we were on the select list of recalled Cummins 400 ISL's. "Have no fear," they tell us only 3-4% will probably fail. That definitely made us feel much better. We had a nice leisurely two month trip back to San Diego. Nothing "major" except that for 7 weeks we had no AC power because the surge guard had failed. It wouldn't latch on and hold the power. One of those on for a couple seconds then off for a few seconds sort of thing. In any case, no AC power with the exception of batteries and inverter for the rest of the trip. No problem here, the roof is covered with solar panels. We already had an appointment with Cummins Coach Care in El Cajon, CA for the recall so they could replace the box while cleaning up the few items left over from Junction City. In the mean time the bedroom slide blew the hydraulic lines and a major pressure line at the pump was also leaking. No problem, except it took six weeks for WRV to send the lines. Unfortunately, they missed one and who knows where it might be as we go into 2 months with Cummins? The new surge guard box has been installed. That's the good news. The bad news is, instead of having intermittent AC power we have NO AC power of any kind, generator or shore. Are we discouraged? Of course not. Well maybe, just a wee bit. You see, while doing a little test drive the "ECM" fault annunciated a failure. This is the Electronic Control Module and controls everything in the wonderful 400 ISL. Still no problem, right? Not so fast. Then the "Low Fuel Pressure" warning and "Check Engine" lights came on too. No problem, it's still running. The "Fuel Low Pressure" and "Check Engine" lights cycled on and off a few times over a 15 mile period that eventually found the poor little Alpine back at Cummins. A day and a half later no word from Cummins. No news is bad news, or something like that.

We're still waiting for one hydraulic line, one slide topper, one day/night shade, it looks like another surge guard box (maybe?), and engine work. With the total lack of support from the WRV parts people we would hate to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

You noticed I used the expression, "No problem," a few times. Obviously, that was strictly tongue-in-cheek. The new management at WRV may be trying to improve their image, but we personally haven't seen the results. I've thrown quite a few stones here, but before I finish I'd like to acknowledge the outstanding work of both Mark and Chris at WRV Customer Service. These two are the hardest working and caring individuals that I have encountered at Yakima. They should be applauded for their efforts. If they were to receive the support they truly deserve, that would be a major plus.

Incidentally, the local Cummins people have had such a bad relationship with WRV that you had better bring a big checkbook, because you'll be paying them and then trying to get your reimbursement from Yakima. I'll report back on that later. The money meter is ticking wildly at this point.

I too would appreciate the name, phone number or mailing address of whoever is supposed to be running WRV. But, I doubt he would ever talk to me or even care to hear what I have to say. To own one of his products and have it available for use only 50% of the time, or less, is totally unacceptable.

Do we absolutely hate it? No... Personally I like the way it drives, when we get the infrequent opportunity to drive it somewhere besides to and from repair stations. Susan loves the windows, the floor plan, and the great kitchen. See, we do try to see the bright side of this.

Dick and Susan Bunting
San Diego, CA
Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #7

I am very impressed with the power and helpfulness of this Forum. On top of that I'm also reassured about Alpine after Phil from the Service department at WRV called me this morning to get my friend's name. They had seen the post with the followup comments and wanted to jump in and get the problems solved.
Also, many thanks for the PMs that offered to personally help my friend.

Clark
Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #8

Hello folks,
We are full time in our 2006 Apex. Had it since Jan 20, 2006, built as WRV was in its downward slide. Many problems, over 65 on the first list. We took it back to Guaranty in Indio and they fixed what they could and ordered parts that never arrived.
Went to the factory in April of '06, stayed for a month and were told we had to leave, fixed or not. After going to the FMCA convention in NC, went to Guaranty in Junction City in September '06 for three weeks. They fixed what they could but could not get parts from WRV. We returned to WRV (also known as Camp Run-a-muck) in April of '07 and stayed for a month. They tried to fix everything but had a parts problem and manpower problem. There were no painters in the Service Department and the Production painters made more problems that they fixed. We had to leave to meet other commitments. Later, Chris told us to go to the Paint Department in Chino, CA to get everything fixed. One of the problems that the factory tried to fix was a loud air leak at the door. Turned out that the wall of the coach was curved instead of straight.
On the way here, we started getting a low coolent warning - turns out the radiator is leaking. (There is a problem with the radiator manufacture.) WRV agreed to replace the radiator however, the shop that has the radiator will not do the work unless I pay them because they have not been paid for work done in March for WRV. Jim Rowe, CFO at WRV, promised payment in October but it still has not happened. The Paint Department does excellent work but they have not been paid either. This is the third shop we have run into that is owed money by WRV. They have been promised payment but, since they have not received any, will not do any more work. Even though the work was approved in writing by WRV, the "higher ups" have to approve the payment. Dave Campy at WRV has stated that payment is in "process". Is this the same as the check is in the mail?
We have been here in Chino now for nine weeks with a coach that we cannot move until the radiator is replaced. We had to spend Thanksgiving in the parking lot and looking at Christmas in the same parking lot, no wheres near the family, kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. Mama is NOT happy!!!
I am looking at having to come up with approximately $10,000 to be able to move. This is all for work that should have been done before the coach left the factory. I am afraid that WRV is about to follow National RV.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We are so sorry to hear of your tales with WRV. We have one of the very first '07 Apexs - delivered in July '06(which means it is really like the '06) and although we have had many manufacturing issues with it - we have plunked away at each issue with Guaranty in Junction City doing all the work - and WRV has stepped up to the plate taking care of each thing (eventually) even though we have had many frustrations with their ineptness. It has taken 3 months over all this year to get things done but we made an adventure out of "going to Junction City" 5 times this year - and made lemonade out of our lemons. I have spent so much time "facilitating" getting the work done this year I feel like I should be on WRV payroll!

The bottom line is that we LOVE our Apex and inspite of the trials and tribulations it has put us through - we are NOT sorry we traded up to it last year. And we are especially glad we bought it from Guaranty - who has bent over backwards to take care of us!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #10

I also had a problem with the SurgeGuard switching box for the AC power. After much checking I found that the box wasn't the problem but it was in the connections. After tightening the wire connections inside the box and then resetting the inverteer/charger my problems went away. The connections were quite loose and I'm not sure how they worked in the first place. Hope this might help your problem, Dick.
We just bought our used Alpine at The Rally and have had only a few problems. Most annoying has been the inability of WRV to deliver a replacement speedometer so I can read the odometer display.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #11

Hi Russ,
Thanks for the words of wisdom. As I mentioned, the Surge Guard has recently been replaced and shortly thereafter, no AC; that was one day. I visited the coach a couple days later and all the AC power sources provided power, a miracle, pure magic, or luck, which I don't know. No one at Cummins said they had done anything to bring the AC back on the line. The recent postings on this subject should prove useful for all of us in the future however. It would appear this is an ongoing problem. My philosophy is if something failed once it will certainly fail again -- and usually at the most inopportune time, problems just don't go away all by thenselves.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
How did we get on the subject of Surge Guards?

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote