RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:29 AM   #1

Upgrade to Lithium Batteries

Hello fellow Alpine owners,
I am currently in the process of installing a set of lithium (LiFePO4) batteries into my coach. After cleaning up the battery bay and repainting the bottom floor I installed an additional panel on the back wall holding all the additional relays and switches.
My question is has anyone of you by chance changed to Lithium ?
And just in case you wonder about the brand of batteries I build a 400Ah set using 8 200Ah cells.
Thanks

Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 04:49 AM   #2

A 400Ah lithium bank would consist of 2, 200Ah batteries. In virtually all RV applications, 12V lithium batteries are installed. Your current 8 battery configuration are 6V batteries wired in series and parallel.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 AM   #3

Yes ... And ?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
A 400Ah lithium bank would consist of 2, 200Ah batteries. In virtually all RV applications, 12V lithium batteries are installed. Your current 8 battery configuration are 6V batteries wired in series and parallel.

A single cell has 3.2 V nominal voltage I guess that is where the confusion is. I used 8 of them for a 4S2P battery configuration.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:56 AM   #5

Looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	043BEF07-46D2-4FB6-A2C1-740865BB8B99.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	243612  
Old 04-26-2019, 04:58 AM   #6

The weight difference to the 4 green interstate is 78kg.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:57 AM   #7

To be a bit more specific the questions I have :
* In case you have a lithium battery without BMS how did you prevent overcharging from the alternator ?
*The optional 100W solar panel charges constantly same issue
* Xantrex charge settings ... I disabled equalization charge in advanced settings ... what did you choose for absorption V and time. I set mine to 5min to practically disable it.
* Lowered charger high cut off to 14.5V
* I also realized that the Alpine really has no battery main cut of switch. The house switch in front does not disconnect all power from the house battery as one might assume.
* I did install another main disconnect in the battery bay ... is there an effect on the Vansco shutting all power off completely over extended time periods? The reason I ask is that all PLC’s need to hold a Programm and often there is either a small button battery or a capacitor doing that job. After 13 years that battery might be low and if the Vansco has no power for let’s say all winter then you might come back to a module without a program. ???
* Does anybody know the voltage that the Vansco is using to start combining the house and chassis battery ?
* Do you happen to know the routing of the OEM 100W solar panel wire ? I know the solar charger is in the cabinet with the main panel but the wire penetrates the roof far up front on the passenger side about where the big window starts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Can only comment on a couple of your list:
You might consider talking to the manufacturer of the batteries for help in setting up charging. I called a Trojan battery engineer that gave me great information on the configuration of my Xantrex charge settings.
Are you saying in your questions that the new house disconnect is turning off the Vansco? Vansco system is for control of chassis functions and powered by the chassis batteries I'm pretty sure. You could confirm this for yourself by disconnecting the house bank and you should still have vansco function. Vansco (according to manual) uses non-volatile memory to log system events so I have to assume it also stores programmed logic in non-volatile memory also.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

Ahh thank you ... yes sure Vansco runs of the chassis brain fart thanks that one was easy.
The Xantrex has a custom setting that I set up I think my manufacturer is of little help in that regard.
The none-volatile memory info is great. Thank you !!
Old 04-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
Yes ... And ?
Correct. It was not clear in your original message that you had wired 4 individual cells together.

I have yet to install Lithium. Therefore, my knowledge is limited to the research I’ve done and some familiarity with a 24V, 2.5Kw system that a coworker manufactures as a portable power unit for film and television production. Search Cinetrix or Cinejuice.

I do know that a BMS is a must.

I’m interested in following your progress on this project.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Correct. It was not clear in your original message that you had wired 4 individual cells together.

I have yet to install Lithium. Therefore, my knowledge is limited to the research I’ve done and some familiarity with a 24V, 2.5Kw system that a coworker manufactures as a portable power unit for film and television production. Search Cinetrix or Cinejuice.

I do know that a BMS is a must.

I’m interested in following your progress on this project.

I think the word “cell” referring to just one 3.2v element of the battery was not used very well in my initial post and therefore confusing.

In case you would use a drop in solution like a ReLiOn or Battleborn Battery they already have a build in BMS. So if things go haywire you are protected and I think the upgrade is easy this way ... but cost more than twice what I have paid.

I build a protection system using Victron elements and have everything wired up but I am getting a bit frustrated trying to program everything so it will play together.

24V is the right choice for a larger system but my Xantrex sw 2012 got replaced along the way and I did not want to spill out another $1,200 at the moment.

I can rewire to 24V at a later time if I want to and have already the wire gauge in place for a 3kW inverter.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #12

Initial cell balancing

Here is a picture of the 2 12V 200Ah Batteries hooked up to my balancing charger. It took me 2 days to get the cells to maintain a balance. The Ir is good amongst the cells of around 0.5 mOhm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B594C1C1-74F1-4553-9ADB-AEC89F03F9EE.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	243641  
Old 04-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #13

Battery bay clean up

So the last 3 days I spend on my knees in front of the battery bay with the goal to clean everything up and understand the wiring better that evidently several people had theirs hands on.
# After removing the batteries I took a grinder equipped with a scotch bright type wheel and removed all the paint around any rusty areas. You definitely want a face shield a mask and hearing protection for this. I am usually not too protective of myself but sticking the head in there for one minute and that stuff flying around everywhere made me suit up.

# Second I used a Rustoleum “Rusty Metal Primer” and sprayed the areas that I had now decently clean and free of rust as good as I possibly could get it.

# I repainted the back wall with white “Stops Rust Enamel” ... twice.
And used truck bed liner paint for the floor. I noticed that the bed liner paint dissolved the primer a bit both are Rustoleum products but if I would do it again I would choose a good urethane primer instead.

# Next I cleaned up the wire end connections from the main positive and negative post battery wires. Some had quite some corrosion I used again a scotch bright pad for that until I had the contact shiny.

Now I “ test” fitted the new battery for the first time. Looks kind of lonely in there.

Here a pic ... so today I will see about some of the wires that were added at some point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	95114F34-30FA-4B2E-95BE-17B7473E578B.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	243707  
Old 04-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #14

I have done 2 coaches with Lipo. One I built the packs, the other was for a friend (less tech savy) so we went with Renogy.

Both coaches have Morningstar solar controllers set to 14.2 with no float or equalization. Cut off at 14.5. I don't remember what we have the LVD' set to. One had Xantrax that we were able to change the charge settings for. The other had a separate converter and and inverter.

The built pack is 4 years old. Works extremely well. Why anyone would go with any other setup is beyond me. I just picked up a new to me coach and will be doing the same setup. 400amp hour pack with all the goodies.

Tags
batteries, lithium, upgrade