Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
NOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO SHARE PHOTOS, I'LL SHARE SOME OF THE UPGRADES I'VE INSTALLED IN MY COACH.

THE ADVANTIUM OVEN I INSTALLED DRAWS A BIT OF CURRENT; WHEN CONSIDERING THE TV'S ETC, I FELT A NEED TO UPGRADE THE INVERTER. I CHOSE THE SAME 3KW TRUE SINE WAVE THAT WRV NOW ADDS TO THE APEX. THE CONTROLS ARE A COMPLETELY DIFERENT SIZE, SO I HAD TO MAKE A NEW CONTROL PANEL - SHOWN HERE:

THE FIRST PHOTO SHOWS THE INVERTER CONTROL IN THE LOWER RIGHT AND THE AGS IN THE LOWER LEFT. THE STANDARD GEN START CONTROLS ARE BOTTOM CENTER.

UPPER LEFT IS THE NEW DISPLAY FOR MY GARNET TECHNOLOGY TANK LEVEL INDICATORS. THIS IS A FAR SUPERIOR SYSTEM THAN WHAT CAME WITH THE COACH AND USES THE ORIGINAL WIRING TO CONNECT (EASY). THERE IS ALSO AN OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE SENSOR THAT SHARES THE SPOT WITH THE LPG READ OUT. BY PUSHING A BUTTON YOU CAN ALTERNATE BETWEEN TEMP AND LPG.

TOP CENTER ARE THE TANK DUMP SWITCHES FOR GREY/BLACK TANK DUMP. THERE IS A PARALLEL SWITCH IN THE SERVICE BAY. I GOT TIRED OF HAVING TO GO OUTSIDE AND MESS WITH DUMPING IN FOUL WEATHER, SO NOW I JUST DO IT FROM INSIDE.

UPPER RIGHT IS A SWITCH BANK THAT IS LABELED APPROPRIATELY.

THE TANK FLUSH IS CONNECTED TO A SOLENOID VALVE THAT FLUSHES THE BLACK TANK.

THE TANK LEVEL SWITCH IS THERE BECAUSE YOU NEED TO DISCONNECT POWER IF YOU WANT TO REPROGRAM THE SYSTEM.

THE WATER PUMP IS NOW OPERATED BY A PUMP CONTROLLER WHICH REQUIRES A MOMENTARY PULSE TO GROUND TO TURN THE PUMP OFF AND ON. YOU CAN ADD LOTS OF SWITCHES AND I HAVE ADDED THEM IN THE SERVICE BAY, BATH ROOM, AND BASEMENT NEXT TO THE PUMP FOR WINTERIZING. THE CONTROLLER EMITS A SIGNAL TO OPERATE THE LED'S WHEN THE PUMP IS ON.

THE PORT LIGHT IS THE ORIGINAL "SECURITY" LIGHT.

WHEN I SAW PHIL BELOUS DESK I HAD TO HAVE ONE TOO, SO I STOPPED BY DAVIS CABINETS AND THE RESULTS ARE SHOWN BELOW.

WHILE AT DDR LAST YEAR PHIL INVITED ME TO WATCH THE SECOND HALF OF THE SEAHAWKS GAME. WE HAVE THE SAME 37" PLASMA TV, BUT HIS PICTURE WAS HIGH DEF - HAD TO HAVE THAT TOO! THA RESULTED IN A NEW CONTROL PANEL UP FRONT WITH A TRUE HIGH DEF SWITCH (RBG WIRES - 100 FEET RUN TO BEDROOM AND BASEMENT) AND NEW TV'S IN THE BEDROOM AND BASEMENT. THE BASEMENT TV IS MOUNTED ON A MOVEABLE ARM AND IS HELD IN PLACE BY A STRIP OF WOOD THAT, IN TURN, IS HELD IN PLACE BY TWO DOWELS. THE BEDROOM TV IS ALSO MOUNTED ON AN ARM AND HELD IN PLACE BY VELCRO WHILE TRACELING. PHOTOS BELOW.

I GOT TIRED OF STANDING IN THE RAIN AT THE FRONT DOOR, SO AN AWNING SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA.

HERE IS A PHOTO OF THE SERVICE BAY SHOWING THE ELECTRIC DUMP VALVES AND SWITCHES, PUMP SWITCH, AND FLUSH SWITCH. VAGABOND RELATED ITEMS ARE: PRESSURE GAUGES, BEFORE AND AFTER TDS METER, FLOW METERS FOR PRODUCT AND WASTE, AND A HOSE BIB FOR WASHING THE RIG. A SWITCH FOR THE GLENDINNING HOSE REEL IS SHOWN TO THE LEFT OF THE PAPER TOWEL RACK AND YOU CAN SEE THE VELCRO WHERE I HANG THE REMOTE CLICKER THAT RUNS THE HOSE REEL AND THE POWER REEL.

AFTER DDR, I FELT A NEED FOR MORE SOLAR POWER, SO I ADDED ANOTHER 100 WATTS FOR A TOTAL OF 200. THE NEW SOLAR PRO CC220 CHARGE CONTROLLER IS SHOWN BELOW.

THE NEW RIGS COME WITH NICE MAP READING LIGHTS. HERE IS MY INSTALLATION.

MY RIG HAD ONLY ONE SWITCH FOR THE ENTRY FLOOR RETRACT, SO HERE'S A PHOTO OF A PARALLES SWITCH AND THE NEW AWNING SWITCH.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, I SEE PEOPLE ADDING SIDE WIEW TV MONITORS. I CHOSE TO ADD LARGER MIRRORS. THE PHOTO BELOW SHOWS THE NEW V-MAX MIRRORS WHICH HAVE A MUCH LARGER VIEWING AREA AS WELL AS LED TURN SIGNALS AND REMOTE CONVEX MIRRORS. I BOUGHT THE MIRROR HEADS AND INSTALLED THEM ON THE EXISTING ARMS. YOU CAN SEE THE CONTROL SWITCHES IN THE PHOTO OF THE LEFT READING LIGHT.

THAT'S ENUGH FOR NOW!!!

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
NOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO SHARE PHOTOS, I'LL SHARE SOME OF THE UPGRADES I'VE INSTALLED IN MY COACH.

THE ADVANTIUM OVEN I INSTALLED DRAWS A BIT OF CURRENT; WHEN CONSIDERING THE TV'S ETC, I FELT A NEED TO UPGRADE THE INVERTER. I CHOSE THE SAME 3KW TRUE SINE WAVE THAT WRV NOW ADDS TO THE APEX. THE CONTROLS ARE A COMPLETELY DIFERENT SIZE, SO I HAD TO MAKE A NEW CONTROL PANEL - SHOWN HERE:

THE FIRST PHOTO SHOWS THE INVERTER CONTROL IN THE LOWER RIGHT AND THE AGS IN THE LOWER LEFT. THE STANDARD GEN START CONTROLS ARE BOTTOM CENTER.

UPPER LEFT IS THE NEW DISPLAY FOR MY GARNET TECHNOLOGY TANK LEVEL INDICATORS. THIS IS A FAR SUPERIOR SYSTEM THAN WHAT CAME WITH THE COACH AND USES THE ORIGINAL WIRING TO CONNECT (EASY). THERE IS ALSO AN OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE SENSOR THAT SHARES THE SPOT WITH THE LPG READ OUT. BY PUSHING A BUTTON YOU CAN ALTERNATE BETWEEN TEMP AND LPG.

TOP CENTER ARE THE TANK DUMP SWITCHES FOR GREY/BLACK TANK DUMP. THERE IS A PARALLEL SWITCH IN THE SERVICE BAY. I GOT TIRED OF HAVING TO GO OUTSIDE AND MESS WITH DUMPING IN FOUL WEATHER, SO NOW I JUST DO IT FROM INSIDE.

UPPER RIGHT IS A SWITCH BANK THAT IS LABELED APPROPRIATELY.

THE TANK FLUSH IS CONNECTED TO A SOLENOID VALVE THAT FLUSHES THE BLACK TANK.

THE TANK LEVEL SWITCH IS THERE BECAUSE YOU NEED TO DISCONNECT POWER IF YOU WANT TO REPROGRAM THE SYSTEM.

THE WATER PUMP IS NOW OPERATED BY A PUMP CONTROLLER WHICH REQUIRES A MOMENTARY PULSE TO GROUND TO TURN THE PUMP OFF AND ON. YOU CAN ADD LOTS OF SWITCHES AND I HAVE ADDED THEM IN THE SERVICE BAY, BATH ROOM, AND BASEMENT NEXT TO THE PUMP FOR WINTERIZING. THE CONTROLLER EMITS A SIGNAL TO OPERATE THE LED'S WHEN THE PUMP IS ON.

THE PORT LIGHT IS THE ORIGINAL "SECURITY" LIGHT.

WHEN I SAW PHIL BELOUS DESK I HAD TO HAVE ONE TOO, SO I STOPPED BY DAVIS CABINETS AND THE RESULTS ARE SHOWN BELOW.

WHILE AT DDR LAST YEAR PHIL INVITED ME TO WATCH THE SECOND HALF OF THE SEAHAWKS GAME. WE HAVE THE SAME 37" PLASMA TV, BUT HIS PICTURE WAS HIGH DEF - HAD TO HAVE THAT TOO! THA RESULTED IN A NEW CONTROL PANEL UP FRONT WITH A TRUE HIGH DEF SWITCH (RBG WIRES - 100 FEET RUN TO BEDROOM AND BASEMENT) AND NEW TV'S IN THE BEDROOM AND BASEMENT. THE BASEMENT TV IS MOUNTED ON A MOVEABLE ARM AND IS HELD IN PLACE BY A STRIP OF WOOD THAT, IN TURN, IS HELD IN PLACE BY TWO DOWELS. THE BEDROOM TV IS ALSO MOUNTED ON AN ARM AND HELD IN PLACE BY VELCRO WHILE TRACELING. PHOTOS BELOW.

I GOT TIRED OF STANDING IN THE RAIN AT THE FRONT DOOR, SO AN AWNING SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA.

HERE IS A PHOTO OF THE SERVICE BAY SHOWING THE ELECTRIC DUMP VALVES AND SWITCHES, PUMP SWITCH, AND FLUSH SWITCH. VAGABOND RELATED ITEMS ARE: PRESSURE GAUGES, BEFORE AND AFTER TDS METER, FLOW METERS FOR PRODUCT AND WASTE, AND A HOSE BIB FOR WASHING THE RIG. A SWITCH FOR THE GLENDINNING HOSE REEL IS SHOWN TO THE LEFT OF THE PAPER TOWEL RACK AND YOU CAN SEE THE VELCRO WHERE I HANG THE REMOTE CLICKER THAT RUNS THE HOSE REEL AND THE POWER REEL.

AFTER DDR, I FELT A NEED FOR MORE SOLAR POWER, SO I ADDED ANOTHER 100 WATTS FOR A TOTAL OF 200. THE NEW SOLAR PRO CC220 CHARGE CONTROLLER IS SHOWN BELOW.

THE NEW RIGS COME WITH NICE MAP READING LIGHTS. HERE IS MY INSTALLATION.

MY RIG HAD ONLY ONE SWITCH FOR THE ENTRY FLOOR RETRACT, SO HERE'S A PHOTO OF A PARALLES SWITCH AND THE NEW AWNING SWITCH.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, I SEE PEOPLE ADDING SIDE WIEW TV MONITORS. I CHOSE TO ADD LARGER MIRRORS. THE PHOTO BELOW SHOWS THE NEW V-MAX MIRRORS WHICH HAVE A MUCH LARGER VIEWING AREA AS WELL AS LED TURN SIGNALS AND REMOTE CONVEX MIRRORS. I BOUGHT THE MIRROR HEADS AND INSTALLED THEM ON THE EXISTING ARMS. YOU CAN SEE THE CONTROL SWITCHES IN THE PHOTO OF THE LEFT READING LIGHT.

THAT'S ENUGH FOR NOW!!!

Vagabondman
Old 12-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #3

Frank You and Cruzer need to get together and compare notes. Great mods. Larry
Old 12-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!

Vagabondman
Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #5

Wow Frank,
Now that you have posting down you went Hog wild!!! LOL
Great mods... gives me some ideas... hmmmm
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #6

Frank,

Excellent upgrades!

A few questions please:

I assume our mirrors are Velvac and the V Max mirrors are directly compatible with the arms. Were there any other install issues? Did you run additional wires for the convex mirror control? ANy issues?

On the door awning, does it clear the front cap raised seam OK? Is it the same color as the original "pewter/taupe? How was power and control wiring run?

If the factory did either of these two mods, who was you instal contact?

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Frank,

Great upgrades. Which Garnet tank level gauge did you use. I went to their web site and found the had many models.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #8

Frank, what kind of dish do you use to receive HDTV?

You have done several modifications that all Alpines should consider making standard. Perhaps you should lead a group to gather all of the suggestions that have been provided in this forum. Sounds like a good topic to cover at the DDR. I will be anxious to see your rig there.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

V-MAX mirrors are made by velvac and they fir the exixting arms. I had to take the arms apart in order to fish more wires past the joint. Velvac includes a wiring diagram, but ir's a little lacking and I made some diagrams I can send to you if you want them. With my diagrams I don't think you will have any issues.

The awning does not clear the front cap seam; I removed the raised portion and sealed it with silicone behind the awning. It is the same color as the original - I called the manufacturer to make sure I got it right.

The original awning control box is wired for the door add on; you just have to run the wires up to and thru the side wall into the door awning from the back side. I ran the power wires up thru the original computer table and the window valance. Control wires went behind the magazine rack to the location shown in the photo.

This was a do it yourself job, so no factory contact.

DAle,

I used the Garnet model 713 and the corresponding temp sensor. One of the reasons I picked this one is that I can use the available digital to analog converter to run a DC switch that, in turn, can run the Vagabond control solenoid which will eliminate the need for installing float switches in the tank. I am a dealer for Garnet and can get you whatever you want at a discount. Garnet stuff will be on my web page soon.

Lundy,

I'm using the Kingdome low profile with their HD add on box that simulates a dual LMB. Unfortunately, I won't be at DDR this year as I'm trying to ski a little before I head South. I'll be in Indio by the 15th of Jan. If you're in the area give me a shout.

Vagabondman
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #10

Frank, that's a very impressive set of DIY mods!

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Jim
Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Frank,

Who makes the "pump contoller" and where did you get it? Are the LED's just mounted by the switchs?

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #12

Frank, your improvements are incredible. If you don't mind I would like to e mail you a private post and get some additional detail on your improvements. They are absolutely outstanding.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
hf

Solo Rvers Club
You mentioned a remote for the Glending Wheel (electric) where did this come from? Did you buy it after mkt? Did WRV install the two power wheels?
Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I WOULD BE HAPPY TO TALK WITH TOU TED - ANY TIME. YOU CAN MAIL ME AT FRANKEROUSE@CHARTER.NET OR CALL ME @ 509-952-3104. I'M IN A SLING FOR A WNILE, SO TYPING IS SLOW.

HF - THE REMOTE CONTROL IS A GLENDINNING PRODUCT FOR WHICH I AM A DEALER. CHECK VAGABOND FOR MORE INFO AND PRICE. CALL ME IF ANY ? THE POWER CORD BUCKET CAME FROM WRV WITH THE RIG; I ADDED THE HOSE REEL AND REMOTE - IT'S EASY.

Vagabondman