Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Upgrading T. V.'s

Hi again gang. Lin & I are about to become full-timers. The house is sold, now comes the fun part. You know, packing, storing & selling, Oh Yea !!

We have a local man here who is installing the KV 8400 series drawer slides on all drawers as I speak. Thanks again for your help.

Now, we would like to upgrade the entertainment system in our 2005 including a DVR for recording shows etc. We still have the original set up, except we took out the second satelite receiver and knowing nothing about electronics, we're looking for any suggestion of who, where or what is a reliable location to find someone who can and will replace the 2 TV's that we currently have. Someone who knows what the devil all those wires are for, as well as how to get the current ones out and install new ones.

As we are now, the rear TV only repeats what is on up front. ???
Does anyone why those little blue lights on the surround speaker up front and the one below the rear TV are for and why do they blink ??

Once we go full-time, we'll be able to go anywhere the best guy is. Thanks in advance for your inputs. We're still in Vacaville, CA for another month or so.

Happy traveling.... Dave

Dave Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Dave,

Good luck with your upgrade project. You will need it!!

I don't know who in your area can help you. I have done all of my upgrades myself. I have a high def DVR and a high def 37" plasma TV in my coach. My coach came with the Panasonic 37" SD plasma TV, since discontinued. I found a direct replacement for it on this forum. Same model, but 2-3 generations newer and now HD. But same mounting holes. And now discontinued as well.

The main challenge is to find components that will fit in the compartment. The compartment on mine is 13" deep from the front of the cabinet frame to the back wall of the compartment. A Directv DVR is 12" deep, PLUS the connections on the back. I found right angle connections for everything but the power cord, and it barely fit the 13" depth. But it fit. So it is definitely possible. Just not necessarily easy. I also can use a DVD player, and have a tuner for over the air and for the park cable system. (Which I rarely use.)

The next thing you need to know, and tell anybody who works on the system, is that their are 6 main coax cables running to the entertainment center area. These are likely white with some sort of color code. These are probably RG6, and don't need to be replaced. These are:

Coax from roof satellite dish.
Coax from auxiliary satellite dish connection in curb side storage compartment.
Coax from park cable system connection point in the driver side utility compartment.
Coax from roof over the air antenna.
Coax to the bedroom TV.
Coax to the outside TV connection in the curb side storage compartment.

The idea was to be able to watch any of 4 programming sources. Those were:

Satellite receiver
Over the air antenna
Park cable
DVD player

Then get these 4 signal choices to all three TV's. Finding somebody who understands home theater systems will likely not know about all the options in an RV like ours. And the RV technician may not know how to get the best signal to each TV. WRV definitely didn't!!!

The whole idea is connect everything using the best possible A/V cable connections to the front TV. Then connect the audio output from the TV to the surround system. This will give you the best possible picture and sound to the main TV, which is typically larger and capable of HD. Then use lower picture quality RF coax outputs to the bedroom and outside TV's.

With most newer components and flat screen TV's, the best A/V cables to use are HDMI, if available. Component video and stereo audio is next. S-video and stereo audio is third. Composite video is fourth. A distant last is coax and tuning to channel 3/4. (But likely necessary on the bedroom TV since there is only a single coax going back there. Same with the outside TV.)

With only 1 satellite receiver you will only be able to watch the same satellite channel on the bedroom TV, not a different one. But if properly connected, you could watch a different over the air station or different cable system program on each TV.

Last, the flashing blue light is probably a system for sending the remote signal from the bedroom to the front to change the channel on the satellite dish. Mine never worked and I never bothered to find out why.

I hope this helps you understand a little more about the system and what needs to be done. Personally I like the challenge to get the system to do what I want to do. And I have succeeded!

Have fun.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #3

if you are looking for someone to do a very good job, contact Bobby Vodden at Kustom Coach Works in Junction City Oregon.. 541-501-3371..If you have Dishnetwork, they have a new receiver that gives HD on both TV's with only one receiver.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #4

We second "Melorene's" thoughts. Last year Scott Adams and Bobby Vodden in Junction City, OR did a complete makeover of our entire A/V system, both front and rear, and we absolutely love the results. We also added DISH to the system and that installation turned out beautifully. The satellite dish was located on the roof just aft of the kitchen exhaust fan with the wire bundle run through the air conditioning duct – extremely sanitary. Bobby is a wizard when it comes to electronics and Scott is a world-class craftsman with cabinetry. A new flat screen Samsung was installed in the bedroom that left a bunch of additional space between the bedroom and bath walls for a large addition to the existing cabinet, along with a second access door. Scott did an excellent job on the interior of this large cabinet and also perfectly matched the existing doors and finish. But of course, this was no surprise as he has created other fantastic cabinet additions for the coach, such as the full length multi-door cabinet that runs along the dining room slide. Scott’s work is absolutely stunning.

Here’s what worked for us in completing the A/V project. We bought the TV’s, DISH receiver, Winegard DISH Trave’ler dish, Sony surround sound system, and a DVD player from Amazon.com, and had everything shipped to Scott and Bobby; we arrived, and in three days everything was completed. After a full year of enjoying the results of this project everything is still working perfectly, and we couldn’t be happier with their work. Truly, Scott and Bobby are a terrific team and they turn out magnificent work. You should definitely consider making the trip to Junction City for your A/V and cabinet needs. Bobby and Scott’s number is 541-501-3371.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

+1 on Bobby & Scott in Junction City, they've done a ton of entertainment system upgrades, many on Alpines.

The problem w/most entertainment system installations is the installer makes it easy for the installer. To make it easy for the user, the install usually takes a bit more time, & mostly more fore thought. I think WRV kept evolving their setups while clinging to old wiring & methods (maybe even wired coaches one way then entertainment-systemed then another while on the assembly line).
Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We also want to upgrade and would like to farm it out. We live in SE MI. Anyone know who can help us out in our area?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Pepper2,

We had Carlyle at Focal Wood do our remodel. Party and I felt his work was excellent with a good price. The only trouble he had was getting the stain to match.....light ash interior. Carlyle replaced all of our window surrounds, built a kitchen garage, replaced other fabric and vinyl pieces in the coach with wood, and built our credenza with fireplace and 42" TV lift. However, he doesn't do any wiring. Check him out.

Tell him Tom and Patty with the Alpine and TV lift said to call.

We were almost finished in the picture below. Still in Carlyle's shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-260656578.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	21891   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3393522529.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	21892  

Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Birddog and Engineer Mike...

We have an appointment with Kustom Coach Works for 30 July. left a message and Bobby called us back. Sound real friendly and looking forward to getting it done in a month or so. Thanks again. Dave
Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #9

Dave- try dinner or a late lunch at Fisherman's Market in Eugene while the boys are working on your rig. Good stuff, and take some smoked fish home for snacks. Or a day trip to the Oregon Coast.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #10

E Mike.. I will use your advice also as I have an appointment on July 2.. gotta love fish.. thanks. Mel Cummins
Old 06-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #11

I forgot to mention they also have good beer. I don't know anything better for you than fish & good beer.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If you are headed to Oregon and have any questions or concerns with how your coach handles you might consider passing through Grant's Pass and have Henderson's Line Up perform a Road Test Assessment. They really helped us out and got our rig handling the way it should have come from the factory.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the tip E Mike. We love seafood and cold beer also. We will definetly check it out. Dave