Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Urgent Response "gadgets"?

I know this is off the coach related issues shown here, but it does relate to full-timing in an Alpine.
As a single older person, I sometimes see the ads for Urgent Response devices and wonder if I'm ready for one at age 73. If something were to happen that I needed urgent care, I know I should call 911. But what if I don't have my phone with me? Has anyone else faced this question and, if so, how did you answer it? Does anyone have one of these devices? Would appreciate any thoughts y'all might have.

David Horn, TX; 2014 40ft Phaeton QTH; 2014 Mazda CX5; 2013 Can-AM Spyder RT-S on TandemTow trailer; Traveling with Ringo (an English Cocker)
dshogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see these ads too... They are a "one button" device far as I know which makes them simpler than a cell phone but if you can wear one of those, you can easily wear a phone too. I DO NOT recommend progmaning a cell phone for one-button 9-1-1. (I got way too many butt calls when I answered 9-1-1 for a living).

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Suspect the technology is evolving with these devices and there may be some satellite/cell phone based devices available but our families experience with these devices is that the "alert" button is slaved to a land based phone set in the home. Doesnt really help if you are driving to the mall or down the street. How 'bout you tie your cell phone around your neck--works for me [smile]....
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree, thought the idea would be perfect for my handicapped wife and the system worked okay in the house but was useless when out of shouting distance from the receiver/sender unit. As said carry a cell phone.
When I cancelled out my contract had to send the hardware to the company at my expense or continue the monthly fee.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Emergency Response

We're aready there: A cellular emergency alert system:
5Star Urgent Response - Personal Safety for any family safety, security or urgent situation | GreatCall
Purchase $50 - Monitoring $15 a month.

It's not just a mobile 911 device - they are aiming the device at kids, seniors, women who travel alone, etc. to link to a response operator real-time

Looks like it's associated with the very successful "Jitterbug" cellphone (very simple cell phone for diabled).

Best of luck

I am not associated with this vendor - so I can't comment about their service or reputation, but I noticed it is endorsed by John Walsh (from TV's America's Most Wanted)...and I like what Mr. Walsh does.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
I have a Telemergency that I bought for my mother. It calls 3 programmable numbers first before it calls 911. She had an "oops" when I was at the dunes and the other numbers didn't answer. It went on to dial 911 before she could shut it off. An officer still showed up to make sure it was not a desperate call that was canceled by a thug. When I was programming it, it called 911 by accident and the same thing happened. The officer requested to come in to see if there was anyone hiding in my house that had called 911. He apologized for being busy and taking 20 minutes. I'm just glad it wasn't a real emergency.

If I was to activated it again, I would put an "O" ring on the "wear around your neck" thing it to make it harder to accidentally trigger it.

As far as not having something with you, almost everyone has a cell phone now days and if it was an emergency, all you would have to do is flop on the ground besides your car or whatever and, more than likely, someone would call 911.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
My Mother in Law has one that is cellular and you wear the button around your neck. You are suppose to press the button once in awhile or it will 'call in'. If you dont respond, they call 911. She had the cops out there about every week as she would fall asleep and not push the button. Became a big PITA for everyone.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
Since we travel and most systems need a phone line or cell service they do not always work of those who far corners of the world. I have found a system that will work anywhere in the world it is called S.P.O.T. It is a GPS system that uses Satellites and SOS button and will notify the service provider to send rescuers to your location. So no Cell service needed. They do have a couple of systems. Check out the web site for more info.

I personally think if I were to buy an alert system it would the S.P.O.T.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Dave is absolutely right.

We purchased this about 6 years ago when our daughter went to Honduras on a medical program to treat children. She was able to let us know she was OK and where she was. Additionally, she and her husband take it with them on their backpacking trips and the BWCA.

Not everyone may need it, but many times we are off the grid as Rv'ers. She had us take it when we travelled to the U.P. of Michigan. Just in case.

Safe Travels

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote