Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #15

You've made mistakes?
I just can't understand that. Heck, I've been in the RV game for over 20 years and I never made a single mistake.

Of course you're going to make mistakes, probably some that I've made along the way. Consider it the tuition cost of an education.

Regarding Warranty/Insurance policies: make sure it's an exclusionary policy naming all that's covered and all that's not. That's why I went with Warranty Experts. However, the proof will be in the pudding when I go for my money back.

I consider owning an RV like I did my boats. It's the "Giggle factor". How many dollars are you willing to spend per giggle?

Ted & Carol and Peg & I were into powered boats pretty heavily for a while. Compared to fuel burn rates of 40 to 60 gallons per hour while going only 20 or so miles per hour, owning an RV is downright cheap (right Ted?). And that's not saying anything about a summer slip, hauling, bottom-painting, shrink-wrapping, winter storage and maintenance.

Observation:
Enjoy all you can while you can.

My goal is to live forever. And so far, I'm right on track.

Good luck and stay safe. There are a lot of crazies out there.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #16

Bob, Peg, Ted, Carol--

We were also into the powered boats heavily for a while. We had a 42' with twin Cummins 330 diesels and bow and stern thrusters. The motorhome is cheap compared to that. We only burned 14-15 gallons an hour to go 18-20 miles per hour but filled a 330 gallon tank, had to pay $400 a month for a slip, had the once or twice a year hauling, quarterly zink replacement with a diver, and an oil change that cost $1500 each time we did it. Plus frequent unscheduled maintenance was truly always expressed in "boat units" -- $1000. We really learned what a "boat unit" meant -- "B"ring "O"ver "A"nother "T"housand $. Seems like every thing we did was several boat units.

So, with all the time, effort, and trouble we've had, owning the coach is a lot less expensive than the boat, not very many Boat Units, easier to access and work on, and it can go a lot more places in a lot worse weather. One only needs a few trips in unforecasted gale force winds with water bouncing over the top of the bridge, a few dockings where the thrusters can't keep you from slamming the dock, sleeping at anchor when you can't stand up when you leave the bed to go to the bathroom because you're bouncing so much, to make the RV look great.

It really is the "Giggle Factor".

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 AM   #17

Ah, yes. I remember all too well the warm feeling I used to get when having to man the helm during rough weather. It seems the distance to the Head is directly proportionate to the weather experienced.

I remember 1 time in particular. The storm came in so fast I could not reverse course without turning Turtle. The seas were high enough to have green-water coming over the top of fly-bridge combing regularly. I was so wet you couldn't see the results of that warm feeling.

I giggle about that to this day.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #18

I didn't giggle till I got home from the gale force wind experience. You are right, the distance to the Head is directly proportional to the weather experienced. At least with a coach you can park on the side of the road or an off-ramp and wait for the weather to pass.

When you've got all hands standing on one side of a 30,000 lb powerboat (not sailboat) to keep it from tipping and then running to the other side for the same thing at the next swell, you know how good it feels to be on dry ground. Sure learned to like those inflatable life preservers even though the water temperature in Puget Sound wasn't above 50 degrees by much.

Some day we'll have to get together and swap boating stories at an ACA rally. May need a bottle of wine or two.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 AM   #19

May need a bottle of wine or two?
It is my experience that sea stories are very dry.

Especially if I start with those from my Navy days, like when the Sub I was on was caught on the surface off Cape Hatteras during the Hurricane that tore Atlantic city's steel pier out.....in 1963 I believe.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #20

Old Forester, out of curiosity what were you doing with bow & stern thrusters in a 42' boat with twin diesels. Did you have to parallel park in a 43' opening with rocks on either end?
Something just forced me to ask that question.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote