Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2008, 04:10 AM   #1

This is a great forum.

I am evaluating the purchase of a used 36 ft Alpine coach. It has low mileage and is in great shape. It would be my first RV. I would be interested in hearing your opinions as to whether it makes sense, at any reasonable cost, to acquire the unit given the recent shutdown of the manufacturer.

Happy 4th!
florida egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:10 AM   #2

This is a great forum.

I am evaluating the purchase of a used 36 ft Alpine coach. It has low mileage and is in great shape. It would be my first RV. I would be interested in hearing your opinions as to whether it makes sense, at any reasonable cost, to acquire the unit given the recent shutdown of the manufacturer.

Happy 4th!
florida egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #3

This was our first motorhome which we bought last November. The mileage isn't an issue but maintenance may be. Often low mileage vehicles are less well maintained than high mileage ones. If it has all the records and manuals you have a good one. We have spent some money getting ours in good shape and you will have to expect things need fixing often. These are complicated machines. Luckily as you have noticed this forum is great for getting answers so the loss of WRV isn't a major problem. I haven't had a problem with spare parts as they are mostly from well known manufacturers. Are the tires OK? Ours had good tread but they were 10 years old and had to go. Look at $2000 plus for a new set.
One thing I did get was an extended warranty. This came in handy when I had an internal wiring fault in the transmission that cost $800 to fix.
We love ours so I would recommend you go ahead and buy it, but I am biased.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I bought my Alpine 3 years ago and aside from normal maintainance, have had but two repairs. The previous owner had not driven the coach a lot. I was coming back from a trip and the rear brakes stuck. I had to have new shoes, roters, and ABS sensor, 1500 bucks. The other issue, the pump that extends the slide went TU. Replacement was $600 with labor. If you are a do-it-your-selfer most maintainance is not very expensive. Otherwise expect to part with the bucks. This would be true for any motorhome. The outstanding thing about Alpine's is the driving. NOTHING DRIVES LIKE AN ALPINE!!
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #5

We too have a 98 - love love love it - we just put new tires on the front (paid for by the service dept where we bought it - long story there) and even on the short ride back from Les Schwab --- rides like a dream. Ours only had 30,000 miles on it and it is our first diesel. We have had to do some repairs and upgrades but we think the Alpine is one of the best. This forum is the best if you need help or information with anything from big to small.

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

Fortunately, our '99 has given us little problem after almost 15K miles in less than a year. However, the 'little' things count too. Especially on a Saturday night in the middle of nowhere.

If you can buy it right, plan to use it frequently and you really want to enjoy the lifestyle, go for it.

There are those that say the older Coaches, built when someone really cared about making them right, are the best. Only having experience with ours, I can't argue the point.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We too have had very little trouble with our 1999 coach. We purchased it in 2001 with 14,000 miles on it and besides the usual tires and battery replacement and a few minor problems it has been a great coach.

Jim & Viv
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote