Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the compliment. I hope I'm not confusing people on this subject; we do seem to take water for granted.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2005, 05:31 AM   #16

Wheeler
I'm confused, if you return reject water to the tank it would seem to me you are contaminating the RO water in the tank. Or do you get drinking water directly from the RO unit?

Frank, how often should the tank be purified if you don't return reject water to the tank?

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Wayne. You seem to be having happy travels. Good job!

Wheeler's comment and my reply might be confusing. He is apparently using a small RO system for drinking water only - the kind you would put under your kitchen sink at home. His RO water is accumulated in a pressure tank and not the main water storage tank. Since he only drinks the RO water, he saves water by running the waste back into the storage tank.

I haven't sanitized my tank in three years because my membrane is still rejecting 95+%. Assuming you start with a clean tank, I don't think you need to sanitize until and unless you get it contaminated with bad water. If you let the membrane deteriorate to <80%, then I would sanitize and change the membrane at the same time.

I would use 37% peroxide to sanitize. Dump a pint into the tank (how depends on your system), fill it with good RO water, slosh it around, run it thru the plumbing and let it sit a while. Then dump, fill and flush.

I hope this clarifies things.

Vagabondman
Old 09-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #18

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the advantage of the VagRO system may not be apparent to those who are only acquainted w/the under-sink, drinking-only version of the RO device.

RO can be configured in a lot of ways. Wheeler's method is great if you are always in treated water territory where the basic quality is not too bad, you sanitize your tank & lines periodically, or perhaps fall into other, fairly civilized patterns of use. You get some of the best drinking water, & wash w/what's left. In fact I applaud Wheeler's use of the "reject" water and would have done essentially that, except that I fill up in Mexico, & from highly mineralized water sources (AZ, LostWages, El Lay).

The VagRO system is sized to fill your main tank in ~9 hours more or less of hose hook up. And that way you tank always has known, good water. Unless you are hooked up to & running off city water, VagRO gives the excellent taste & spot-free cleaning quality of RO water. Since some ~1/3 of my fill-ups are in areas of Mexico where you "don't drink the water" for bacterial reasons, and ~1/3 from the Southwest w/some of the most corrosive, foul city water (>800ppm), I'd rather simplify my existence & always have good, clean, fresh tasting water for washing as well as drinking. Without having to worry about a tank infestation. And w/the new ShurFlo pump, running off the tank isn't the noisy nuisance it used to be.

RO, in the final analysis, is a fairly adaptable system, that can be conformed fairly closely to anybody's specific habits (Wayne's hose bib, for example). The VagRO system is a well engineered choice for keeping your main tank full of good water.
And I'm not paid to say this stuff. Really.
No, Really I'm not.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Wow! You guys are going to give me a big head. Thanks

Vagabondman
Old 10-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #20

Finished my Vagabond RO system install over the weekend.
The RO removes >97% of the Total Disolved Solids from the OEM-filtered water (the filters remove only about 10%). And I'm getting 11.5 gallons per hour, so if I have a hose connection, I can go from empty to full in <8 hours. WOW.
I installed the RO membrane canister and the diversion valving in the unused space under the driver's side slide, so didn't lose any space under the coach, any maintenance requiring a plumbing disconnect won't spill under the coach, it's a lot less contortionalizationing to get to and maintain, and all controls are available between the under-slide (must be open ~8" min.) and the utility door (where the pre & post canister filter gauges, TDS guages and flow meters are installed). W/the diversion valve I can fill the tank direct or go thru the RO membrane as local conditions determine. And w/the flow meter option, I can dial the amount of reject water down where the excess waste would otherwise be a problem (increases TDS in RO water produced, but not by much.
I can now fill my tank anywhere and be assured of great water.
Even in Mexico. Maybe even in L.A.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
E-Mike,

It was a real pleasure to confer with you on your installation. You had some great new ideas about placing the membrane in the dead space behind the facia; in fact, Tris Swan followed your lead on his (installed while in Yakima for the rally). I look forward to hearing more after you have used the system in Mexico.

Vagabondman
Old 10-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #22

I thought of another advantage of the VagRO system last night. I'm gunna truck over the Sierra's this Friday. If I haul 100 gallons of water over the hill (~10,000 feet of elevation gain net) I'd be buying diesel to haul the 830# of water in addition to the coach. Since I don't have to worry about staying full on water:
I'll haul dry then fill up in Reno for the weekend, and save the fuel money.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #23

Mike so far I can't think of any down side to the Vagabond water system. I usually travel with about 1/3 of a tank of water. I know that in just a few hours I can fill my tank with bottled water quality water.

My favorite use though is washing the rig with no spots. I was just in my buddy's coach and he had just cleaned all the hard water stains off of his shower and was whining about how hard the water is at the ORA in AK. I just laughed my glass and hardware in our shower is just like new and no elbow grease used.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #24

Mike - You forgot to mention the potential energy you will have stored up by filling up with water at Reno. Down hill from there will increase your momentum an you might be able to get home without burning any fuel at all.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
You guys are like a radio commercial! Thanks for the positive comments. The majority of people out there still don't understand the Reverse Osmosis concept and the related benefits, but we're making progress. Pretty soon we'll have to start a "Vagabond" support group.

Vagabondman
Old 10-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #26

Steve- You give me an idea. I'll lay pipe from Reno down to my house, & connect it loosley to my trailer hitch. Then I can place a call to Reno to let a predetermined amount of water run down the pipe. By the time it gets to my house, it should be going fast enough that, given the appropriate volume, it'll propel me all the way over the hill.
For the price of a phone call, a few gallons of H2O and a hundred or so miles of pipe, I can shoot up to Reno and gamble for free
Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
OK EM,
We finally have found your weakness

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> gamble for free </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GAMBLING IS NOT FREE We (other iRV2'ers) can explain it if you want us to.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Howdy All! We haven't been able to log in to the wesite with the laptop until tonight. Tris did the Vagabond installation while we were at the Rally. We weren't hooked up to "purify" the water until Tuesday night. The campground we were at had such low pressure that it proceeded quite slowly but we got close to 1/2 tank of water done. Enough while we are on the road - our big thing is to wash the rig with the water but with all of the rain we have encountered as well as the mechanical problems we have had - it will have to wait til we get home next week to get washed.

Our trip up to Yakima for homecoming started with a front left tire blow out 1 hr north of Fresno. Then we have been laid up for 3days in repairs (dash gauges, inverter automatic transfer switch, holding tanks gauges) and then the worst one happened! We started leaking diesel fluid when we left Yakima - and after 2 days in Chahalis Cummins and them not fixing the right thing - we are laid up in Portland for 4 days in a motel while we wait for Cummins to rebuild the center of the Injector Pump and replace the Accumulator!

We continue to say that to own one of these things - you have to have a good sense of humor and to be able to roll with the punches!!!!
Anyway - we look forward to our great PURE WATER! Frank was great to work with and gave Tris all of the support he needed! THANK YOU FRANK!

Swansnest
2003 Alpine 40' MDTS

#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote