Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Carolyn,

I'm so sorry you and Tris have had so much trouble with your rig. I can relate to that in with my first rig. Once you get by this "bump" chances are that you will have clear sailing.

I'm happy you're enjoying some good water. Tris was a real pleasure to work with; you told me he was pretty handy, and he really is!

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2005, 02:56 PM   #30

Just back from Bullhead City Rally, and a week at Havasu RV Resort, both on the Colorado River. @ Havasu I filled the tank using the Vagabond system. Got 13 gallons/hour fill rate @ 60psi input pressure. The water there is so hard everybody can walk on water, ~850 parts per million total disolved solids. Vagabond took it down to 38ppm (removing >95%), no salty taste at all, and I watered the palm trees w/the reject water so its good for the environment.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #31

Thats great MIke. I am not quite sure what a "Vagabond" contains to make it work. We have installed onboard our Alpine, a Sears Automatic
water softener (a very small apartment size) and a reverse osmosos filtering system. It works this way. When I fill the tanks the water is softened. And my drinking and ice cube wateer is run thru the R. O. unit. This has worked perfectly and has been used on both our 2000 and our present 2003 Alpine. Its all automatic, other than adding salt to the tank once a year or so. This system cost me about $600. plus installation. Does the Vagabond system do something else that I may need also.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Stretch,

The diference between your softener and the Vagabond System is that a softener works by ion exchange (removes iron, calcium, magnesium, and manganese and replaces them with sodium or potassium and does not purify, while the Vagabond reverse osmosis system REMOVES minerals (dissolved solids) to make the water soft and purifies at the same time by removing the bacteria and spores you remove with your drinking water system. We are basicaly giving you the purified drinking water in sufficient quantity to use it for everything. The Vagabond system may be run manually or you may add options to make it run automaticaly.

In the automatic mode, you would connect your water line to the coach, turn on the system, and enjoy the purified water until you shut the system down. You might want to visit VAGABOND to find out more about the system.

Vagabondman
Old 11-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #33

Stretch- The Vagabond system is the same general theory as your drinking/ice purifier system, only larger, and you don't need the softener. I get lotsa suds w/the Vag water, same as you should w/softened (salt content) H2O.
There are lots of systems out there. What Vagabond does is put out a solution sized to fill your tank w/purified water so all water on board is purified, and you don't have to fuss w/corrosion, bad taste @ the bath sink, you can use tank water to wash your coach, etc. And you don't need any auxiliary system for drinking or ice. Going to Mexico where bacteria is an issue, the RO system assures me of great water even from a hose there, as well as the excellent results w/terrible local water as posted above. Because the production rate is high, you can fill up anytime you have a hose hookup overnight.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #34

Hi vagabond man: I see that your system r.o.'s the whole fresh water tank, and thats great. But what is wrong with my system? My system makes the whole fresh water tank soft first. This make the R.O. membrane last longer. Then I use the R.O. only for drinking and for ice cubes. seems pretty close to the same result for a lot less money.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #35

Mike:
I understand your system now. But ****, mine is close to your result. So no sence in me changing now. But for a new installation ............maybe
Old 11-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Stretch,

You're right except for the fact that you don't have spot free water. Your softener only removes cations (+ ions) and leaves the anions, which includes silica. Calcium carbonate is fairly easy to clean up, but sodium silicate is almost impossible. The only acid that will touch silica also eats glass and you can't buy it commercially. If you aren't concerned about spots, then you won't truly appreciate the RO system. There is a lot of silica in our water (60 ppm) as there is in most desert areas. Silica precipitates at 120 ppm, so the spots start as the water drop evaporates by 50%. Both of our Alpines have always looked like new inside and out because of the RO systems.

We installed several "Whole House" RO systems here in Yakima for discerning people who wanted to avoid silica spots; they were very expensive, but beat the prospect of changing windows and fixtures.

You might also consider not having to dry your rig when you wash it - I hate the toweling!

Keep the RO in mind for your next rig - Maybe an Apex that comes with one.

Vagabondman
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #37

We had Frank install a Vagabond RO system in our Alpine during the MotoSat DataStorm Rally in Oct '07. We've managed never to use park water in the six months since. It's incredible...not needing to squeegee the shower, or dry the dishes. It feels just like softened water during a shower, only better. We're extremely satisfied with the product.
Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Mike, it's always nice to know people are happy with the system.

Vagabondman