Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone had experience with the Vagabond Purification System? We are thinking about buying & installing it and wonder if anyone has had any experience with it. It will cost over $1000 for the system & I want to make sure it is a good system.

The Swans

#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone had experience with the Vagabond Purification System? We are thinking about buying & installing it and wonder if anyone has had any experience with it. It will cost over $1000 for the system & I want to make sure it is a good system.

The Swans

#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #3

Yes! I installed the complete automatic system last spring. It is the best thing I have done to any of my MH's. The water here at Outdoor resorts is hard 220PPM- dissolved solids. I just checked the water coming out of my tank and it is 2PPM-dissolved solids. I am still on the first set of filters and have not seen a drop in pressure from the inlet side to the output gage. The water taste as good or better than bottled water and no spots when I wash the rig. Besides that Frank is great to deal with.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #4

Frank Rouse (President of Vagabond) is definitely a fantastic individual...as well as an Alpine Coach owner!

Give me a call at the store and we can discuss the system if you'd like...pricing included. If I can't answer your questions, Frank lives here in Yakima and would be more than happy to fill you in!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:10 AM   #5

I have spoken with Mike Glazier in reference to the water filtering system that is being included in the 2006 motor coaches and in addition to Frank Rouse from Vagabond purification system. The system used on the 2006 Alpines is NOT A Reverse Osmosis system. It is a two canister water filter system. Per Mr Frank Rouse @ Vagabond the cost from Vagabond would be in the $ 80.00 range. If you are considering the R/O system Vagabond offers a very good system and yes, complete it could run you as much as $ 1000.00.

Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #6

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
This system sounds like the one that will come in the Apex we ordered. Anybody know?

Found a GREAT new rv park! Heyburn Riverside RV Park right on the Snake River in Heyburn, Idaho, exit 211 off I84, south 2 miles. It must be 50' across my green "front yard" to the next site. My toad is parked in it's own parking space must outside the front door. As I type, I have a great view of the Snake. It is in Trailer Life. Only $21 for "Old *****", $23 single night, $22 multiple nights.

Basil & Sue Shannon
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #7

This sounds like a fine system. I have always been hesitant to install a R.O. system because of my concern about 2/3 of the water going down the drain as waste. This could have consequences in tank capacity and in areas of water conservation.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #8

I bought the RO filter to add to the 2-canister system in the '06 (which is two 5 micron filters, one of them carbon). Haven't installed yet but will start this weekend. I belive Frank Rouse supplies these to WRV.

I was also concerned about the volume of waste water. We stay in a Mexican park on septic, where a few hundred gallons of waste dumped on the ground would make a mess & in the septic system could be an issue. I talked extensively w/Frank & with the adjustable flow meters, I'll be able to dial down the ratio of waste water to product water while in that park. It won't be zero, but should be manageable for the septic system while producing good water, or maybe I'll water plants in the park if I reroute some "waste" to buckets.
I didn't order the automatic controls, cuz I will need to babysit filling & waste, and will need to reroute the waste in some cases. We also stay in Lake Havasu City, AZ, where the total disolved solids is about 750-830 ppm, but there the sewer needs added water for dilution; I expect TDS of <80 and probably <45. If you stay in fairly civilized parks @ all times, you can route the waste to your drain & let it run down the sewer.

I am sure the Apex will be getting Frank's system. The display in the WRV Service Center store is Frank's display. Ditto that Frank is a great guy to work with. Over-the-top customer service, and great directions/owner's manuals.
Vagabond Water Website
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I just want to clarify some of the issues/questions rasied here.

The filters in the 2006 models are similar to the ones in the Vagabond™ system, and use the same 5 micron filter elements; however, the housings are equiped with 1/2" fittings for full flow to the coach. There is a mambrane upgrade kit for the 2006 which includes the membrane and all parts to make the system a full Vagabond™ purification system ( there is a three way valve to allow you to use shore water or make RO water).

The APEX comes with the full meal deal as standard equipment.

For those of you concerned about waste water, consider the following:

In order to keep the RO membrane from fouling it is necessary to have a laminar flow of water flowing across it to wash away the rejected minerals. Not knowing just what kind of water the system will be exposed to, we have designed it to take a lot of abuse and therefore it comes with a fixed flow control that wastes 2/3 of the water. If that is of concern to you, you can install the flow meter upgrade kit which allows you to control the reject flow to a lesser amount; if you do this, you must periodically flush the membrane with a maximum flow!

The Vagabond™ system is available in the "basic" configuration with "automatic" and "flow meter" options. There are kits for Alpine coaches prior to 2006 and 2006 forward.

If you want an explanation of how RO works, you can go to the Vagabond™ web page. http://www.vagabondwater.com

Mike Parker has the kits in stock at WRV.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne,

I'm trying to figure how you wash your coach from the water in the fresh water tank. Or is there a direct hook-up to the Vagabond?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #11

I put a tee on the cold water supply line to the outside shower faucet and add a hose bib. I also use a pressure washer to boosts the pressure from the pump.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #12

Here is a suggestion for those of you concerned about the quantity of reject water from a reverse osmosis system... for me, once I tasted reverse osmosis water (same process as the blue labled Aquafina brand of bottled water you see in stores), there was no going back to any other kind of filtered water. I boondock a lot and didn't want to waste the reject water down the drain. So I had my dealer install a bypass valve and a water line that recycles the RO reject water to the fresh water tank. So I have a choice: I can either send reject water to fresh water tank or to grey waste water holding tank. (My understanding is there's nothing inherently nasty about RO reject water; it just has a higher concentration of the impurities that were already there. I've been doing this for more than a year with no apparent problems.)

An added bonus: even when hooked up to city water I tend to use "coach water," ie., the water pump a lot (greater shower pressure and volume.) Given my small consumption of RO water (drinking, espresso, ice, etc.), reject water seems to add about 15-20 gallons to the fresh water tank daily. I like that.

2004 Alpenlite Venice
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Adding reject water to the fresh tank is a good idea in theory. In fact, large industrial units with multiple membranes process waste water from one membrane to the inlet of the next, so that they have a very high recovery ratio.

My concern with doing that in our coaches is that any cysts or bacteria rejected by the membrane will have an excellent place to be concentrated in the storage tank. If you're going to do this, I suggest you disinfect the tank periodically. There's a lot of grey area here with respect to investment vs. work involved vs. reliability of product water. Further, if you return reject water to your tank, I recommend you get a good TDS meter and pay attention to the brew you're having to treat from the tank.

I haven't personally camped where water was in a short supply, or where it's sanitary quality was a big concern, but you never know what you're being served. Just remember, water that looks good, tastes good, and feels good can kill you just as surely as swamp water.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #14

Excellent suggestions, Frank, thank you.

2004 Alpenlite Venice
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote