Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Jim and I are researching this product and have reviewed the previous positive comments posted. We're "sold", but are somewhat confused about what features to purchase. Would those of you who have a system give us your thoughts re:

1. Manual vs. automatic fill?
2. SeaLevel gauges?
3. One or two membrane install?
4. If you installed it yourself, anything you learned, please share?
5. If you had to do it over again, what would you do differently?

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated!!

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Jim and I are researching this product and have reviewed the previous positive comments posted. We're "sold", but are somewhat confused about what features to purchase. Would those of you who have a system give us your thoughts re:

1. Manual vs. automatic fill?
2. SeaLevel gauges?
3. One or two membrane install?
4. If you installed it yourself, anything you learned, please share?
5. If you had to do it over again, what would you do differently?

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated!!

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #3

Defiantly go automatic, use the newer 2 float system (easier to install). Two membranes would be nice but really not required. Only advice I would give is take your time and plan the install in advance. I like the flow meters Frank has and the built in TDS meter.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #4

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
The Vagabond system came on my 2006 Apex and I will never again have a coach without it. The system produced very soft water from 960 ppm total disolved solids "liquid rocks" in Arizona this winter.

Defiantly go automatic. I later added the TDS meter which gives me some idea what's going on. I may add the more costly flow meters later.

NOTHING DRIVES LIKE AN ALPINE!!!!!!!!!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne and Basil,

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #6

The Sullivans concur with the Shannon's view and would add that Frank the Vagabond man was most helpful. We also added a TDS Meter and a backflush line! (The imperial we, it was a blue job)

Sully
Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Sully,

Thanks for the input. Question: What do you mean by a "backflush line"?

Thanks.

Brandywine
Old 05-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Jim & Ingrid,

Just installed the system on our new 07 last week. Did it myself, just spend time pre planning placement of all components. Used the automatic system with two membranes, (for faster fill) TDS meter and flow gages. Added a three way valve to allow reject water to flow to sewer or to a hose bib to be used where water can be run to lawn or garden. Had to add check valve between filter selector valve and fill/city water valve to prevent back flow to RO system from pump. We bought a Sealevel gage and will install it when I get home. We love the system.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Dale & Dixie,

Thanks for your comments. We were installing the same time as you were! We are very happy w/the results, too.

We're already planning to install the second membrane as well for the faster fill advantage. Jim just needs to find the time to do it! We're going to be on the road for a while so we'll wait to order the additional membrane.

Ingrid & Jim

Brandywine
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #10

1) make use of the water schematic from WRV's owner's manual for planning; its easier to visualize the flow directions & placement of components when you have that plus the visuals of the coach.
2) use a coat hanger piece to approximate the 1/2" poly pipe runs that require bends, then immerse the pipe in boiling water & pre-bend it to the required form. I put the RO filter in the long panel space below kitchen slide so it is accessible from outside w/the slide out (maybe not recommended if you camp where it is freezing buttons at night; we don't) so I have a couple of sweeping bends and one tighter one in 1/2" line and this made it easy.
3) I have TDS meter & metering tubes and like both. I can dial the amount of reject water down when we camp where runoff is trouble, and still get good water from 800ppm input. The meter shows that system is working to spec; eventually if there is an issue w/the membrane the meter should show it in the water results.
4) if you stay where pressure is very low, two filters in parallel will fill twice as fast, but I'm thinking of adding a pressure booster so I can fill from whatever incoming source (even a bucket).
Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Engineer Mike:

Thanks for the input. We saw pictures of your install and were intrigued, but the cold temp issue (we're in NC in Dec/Jan) where temps do go well below freezing, so ruled it out.

We'd like to pic your technical mind re: the pressure booster. Could you be more specific...like parts and how you'll install. We'd like to pursue but don't have your technical expertise.

Thanks.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #12

I've been toying w/adding an Aquatec Booster Pump on the inlet side of the system someplace. It could be rigged with fittings to adapt to the city water hose inlet of the coach, i.e. in-line with the water source to boost input pressure. I park in the winter where pressure is variably low, 25-35 psi, which gives me about 4 gph of product water, 50 gallons overnight, which is sufficient but slooow and requires attention to planning my fillups. When I park where I get 70 psi from city water I'm putting about 8gph in the tank and I can top off in a few hours each day. The RO system actually filters better at higher pressure also (maybe 97% efficient at 70psi, 92 @ 30) so I get better water at higher pressure, all else being equal.
If you camp where there is water but no electricity, you'd want to power the pump from an inverter-powered outlet.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
E-Mike,

As we have discussed before, I specifically opted not to have a pumped system because of the noise and power requirement issues. You might want to consider a second membrane as an alternative to the pump as it's probably cheaper and more trouble free. That said, I have a 12 volt Sureflo pump that will boost your pressure quite nicely. If you plumb it properly, you could use it for low pressure situations and by pass it when it's not needed. Did you ever install the float switch?

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I have used the system for a while now and wanted to report what I think. Have found that we don't need to squeegee the shower any more. We don't get water spots anywhere and the water is great for drinking. The best is when we got to Newport the coach was dirty and I hadn't found anywhere to have it washed. I washed the coach and rinsed with the RO water without drying it, the coach looked great with no water marks. I find it very difficult to do the old wash and dry routine anymore so this is the best for when I can't get done elsewhere. I am not sure if this will work when the water source is extremely bad, but will report back when I find out.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote