Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #1

Looking for ideas for mounting filters and ro system on a 2001 34 fdds. Concerned about freezing if parts are mounted under slide. Maybe only place is on side wall of storage bay???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #2

Looking for ideas for mounting filters and ro system on a 2001 34 fdds. Concerned about freezing if parts are mounted under slide. Maybe only place is on side wall of storage bay???

Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Contact Vagabondman (Frank Rouse) on this forum. He is a great source of information on all things RO. He also sells systems and parts, so he can answer most anything you throw at him. You may want to contact him via Private Messaging since he sells, too.

Also his email is frankerouse@charter.net

Good luck! I know you'll really like the system.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #4

Sandy- You don't change the RO membrane very often, it goes for years. There is a space on the interior ceiling of basement below the main slide that is essentially dead volume for any other purpose. I'd mount it there to conserve usable storage space. You can strap-mount the tubing to the ceiling to keep it from impinging on basement volume also. Another option would be to the basement ceiling, but just outside of a main frame member. that's where I have mine now (PS, rear SmartBed compartment which would be comparable IIRC to your rear basement door on PS). It is easily accessible, and due to conflicting HWH tubing going to the main slide rams, there is a volume of space there which can't be reclaimed for other storage use (unless maybe you install a shelf that would be hard to reach). Because it is a one time install in an uncomfortable position for service, be sure to use the retainer clips on all the stab fittings so they don't accidentally work loose over time.

I think Dale Gerstel can give advice on utility bay alternatives also.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #5

My 34' has a small door in the toilet area that provides access to the utility space where a washer/dryer combo would be hooked up. There is water and a drain there, so I installed a Whirlpool RO system, purchased at Lowes. There is room to mount the cartridges for easy access and the pressure tank fit on the floor.

I have a hose and valve attached and just fill one gallon jugs whenever I need drinking/cooking water. I also plumbed it into the ice maker. Works great.

I can take a photo if you are interested.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #6

Ken, would very much appreciate a picture. My e mail is tulmer1@comcast.net. As I understand it you just take the water that you require for drinking plus you took the little plastic feed tube to the ice maker and feed that also. I was always concerned about the ice cubes not having any filter except what I have on my dockside water.
Thanks.
Ted Ulmer
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #7

1) The cold water inlet is attached to the washing machine cold water valve.
2) The ice maker connection is through the washing machine hot water line, which I re-plumbed to the ice maker.
3) The by-pass water line is connected to the washing machine drain.
4) I have a quick connect on the by-pass water line, and ran a new line to the rear of the coach near the engine. If I have a water connection in a campsite, but no sewer, I can re-direct the by-pass water to the rear of the rig and on to the ground, so I don't fill the grey water tank.
5) To use, simply open the valve, pull out and use the kitchen sprayer to fill your jug.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Sandy1,
I have installed three of the Vagabond RO systems. The one I did on a Alpine 2001, 36 FDDS, would be most like yours. I have some photos of placement. This was one of Franks fully automatic systems. If you want to see them, send me a PM with your email.
D&D Rich
Dan
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Sandy1,

Frank and I installed the system in the Hydrohot bay in our 38 FDTS.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Sandy1,

There are several ways to mount filters/ro membrane in you r rig. I suggest you view the photos offered and you can also go to Vagabond Water and view the photos. There are some creative ideas there.

You can pm me or call anytime.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #11

We purchased a Vagabond system over a year ago. We couldn't be happier with it, and the quality of the water we now enjoy. In fact, we purchased a second RO filter during the NoWACA rally in Toppenish last Spring. Our desire was to increase the rate of loading water through the RO system....now we're never concerned about low water pressure.

Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote

« Alarm | Which TOAD? »