Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #1

vansco lights

In my 2008 alpine coach I have a vansco light panel in the battery compartment and #19 keeps making the selonoid click on and off. shutting off the 12 switch stops it but would like to know if there is a list anywhere telling what is connected to each light so I can see why it is doing this clicking...
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #2

Mel- there is an captivating discussion of the solenoid intertie HERE.
#19 is the output indicator for the Vansco sending 12V to the charging solenoid intertie between house & chassis batteries. It is set to click solenoid on (tie battery banks together to charge both) when house batteries hit ~13.0-13.1V (YMMV)
No other Vansco circuits are involved in this function that I know of.

I've haven't had this happen when plugged in. I have had it when not plugged in, and the solar panel only (kicks out like 14.1V) is available for charging. Solar doesn't have enough to keep a significant draw above the 13.1V threshhold, i.e. weak chassis batteries will draw the voltage down below 13.1, thereby kicking the #19 and solenoid off; then 14.1V from panel trickles house bank back above 13.1 & #19/solenoid kicks on; repeat.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Mel- there is an captivating discussion of the solenoid intertie HERE.
#19 is the output indicator for the Vansco sending 12V to the charging solenoid intertie between house & chassis batteries. It is set to click solenoid on (tie battery banks together to charge both) when house batteries hit ~13.0-13.1V (YMMV)
No other Vansco circuits are involved in this function that I know of.

I've haven't had this happen when plugged in. I have had it when not plugged in, and the solar panel only (kicks out like 14.1V) is available for charging. Solar doesn't have enough to keep a significant draw above the 13.1V threshhold, i.e. weak chassis batteries will draw the voltage down below 13.1, thereby kicking the #19 and solenoid off; then 14.1V from panel trickles house bank back above 13.1 & #19/solenoid kicks on; repeat.
Sometimes as I sit on my patio in Palm Springs sipping a cold one, I can hear the solenoid click on & off when the start battery voltage dips below 13.1 volts several times a minute. I suspect my start batteries are getting weak.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #4

Well, so far I haven't had time to check the start batteries and they are the original on my 2008. I have stopped the clicking by turning off the coach switch and will keep track of the voltage..I do not find the wire from the small solar panel which i think is for the 12v batteries, like the one from the larger one which charges the bank of 6 volt batteries. will have the batteries checked when i am in oregon on my way home. thanks for all the help.. also, how do we know what is connected to the lights on the vancso panel? Mel
Old 07-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #5

I mapped the front Vansco panel light by light and wire by wire, documented HERE. Note that some earlier rigs may have slight differences in the LED (and therefore wire pin-out) mapping. Mapping the other Vansco panel is on my Bucket List.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #6

What a guy. Does Mike ever sleep. always there for us..
Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Just had my batteries checked and they are good.. still hear the clicking..Just shut off the 12v switch in the battery compartment so we can sleep at night..Mel
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #8

Melorene,

See this link for a discussion of the problem you describe. See my post #6 in this link for my theory on the cause.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/batt...off-57848.html
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Fixed my solenoid clicking off and on problem by setting the Xantrex 2000 battery load to 600ah, instead of 675ah, which is the actual battery capacity. My problem was that the Xantrex charger was not fully charging the batteries, nor was it keeping up with house electrical load. This, apparently, is a known programming fault with the 2000 charger.

See my last post in this thread for more information.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/batt...off-57848.html
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #10

xantred battery load

does anyone know the correct procedure and buttons to push to find the battery load.. i think i may have found it but not sure but was 900 or close..I have 6, 6 volt batteries and 2 12v ones.. thanks, Mel
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Mel:

It will depend on the size of your batteries. Generally, six 6-volt AGM batteries will have about 660 Ah capacity (220 each). Wet cells will be a little different. To wit, my larger sized AGM batteries have 300 Ah, giving me a total of 1120 Ah between the regular and larger batteries.

The chassis batteries are not considered when rating the house batteries and are usually expressed as cranking Amps or cranking capacity.

BTW, when you connect two 6-volt batteries together to get 12-volts, the Ah do not double your figures. Since you are concerned about capacity at 12-volts, the Ah on the 6-volt batteries are only for 6-volts. At 12-volts they are half the capacity, each, therefore equal to the rating, but only when paired to 12-volts.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #12

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
Sometimes as I sit on my patio in Palm Springs sipping a cold one, I can hear the solenoid click on & off when the start battery voltage dips below 13.1 volts several times a minute. I suspect my start (chassis) batteries are getting weak.
Update: I replaced my chassis batteries and the problem went away.Relay activates, light 19 on and all 10 batteries on float.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights