Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

VANSCO M.O. is grounding?

Like others ECUs, does the VANCSO simply ground one side of a relay, thereby switching said relay ON?

I be working a driving light issue and read that EM bypassed the VANSCO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
First a disclaimer, I am not a Vansco expert and your answer is not as simple as you may think.

Vansco inputs and outputs were programmed by WRV. Some inputs are looking for a switch to ground for the corresponding output or outputs to be activated. Some inputs could be looking for +12V to activate the output. Some inputs can use an analog signal. It all depends on what WRV programmed.
The ACA site has technical documents that could probably answer your question. If you come to Desert Rat rally there will be more documents to share.

A word of caution on bypassing the Vansco, I have read that the input side of the magic box is very sensitive to voltage spikes and that using an input circuit to signal a relay could in time cause a failure of that input.

If I have misinformed you on any of this please someone else correct me.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

If I cannot find a Vansco-included solution, I'd wire the driving lights totally w/o it, as I've done with old cars I play with.

I didn't see much detail on that unit in the ACA Tech section, but I'll check again. That atop the variability FMC employed fogs the issue more.

I saw your post in the other thread, which echoes the variety of possibles with the flashing LED. It is definitely triggered by the DL switch. Maybe I can tap into the output wire with my DVM to see if it is + or GND. Likely, it switches a relay, so it could be either to complete the circuit. Then, it may be digital, but I expect not.

The wires to the lights are white. WRV didn't color-codes various circuits and I doubt the current printed wires existed. The large bundle that includes the DL wires have some white and many black wires.

I want to attend the tech sessions at the DRR and am working those details, as a newb. I also read the EM was working on a wiring diagram or the '05s, whihc may be quite like my '07.

Thanks for the assist.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
If I cannot find a Vansco-included solution, I'd wire the driving lights totally w/o it, as I've done with old cars I play with.

I didn't see much detail on that unit in the ACA Tech section, but I'll check again. That atop the variability FMC employed fogs the issue more.

I saw your post in the other thread, which echoes the variety of possibles with the flashing LED. It is definitely triggered by the DL switch. Maybe I can tap into the output wire with my DVM to see if it is + or GND. Likely, it switches a relay, so it could be either to complete the circuit. Then, it may be digital, but I expect not.

The wires to the lights are white. WRV didn't color-codes various circuits and I doubt the current printed wires existed. The large bundle that includes the DL wires have some white and many black wires.

I want to attend the tech sessions at the DRR and am working those details, as a newb. I also read the EM was working on a wiring diagram or the '05s, whihc may be quite like my '07.

Thanks for the assist.

For Vansco info look in the “Chassis & Brakes” section, the info is way down on the list (it is alphabetical).

WRV numbered all the wires, that way they could use white wires.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
For Vansco info look in the “Chassis & Brakes” section, the info is way down on the list (it is alphabetical).

WRV numbered all the wires, that way they could use white wires.

I'd read (and printed) that, but upon further review, two things emerge: 1) the DL switch connects the Vansco input to GND, 2) location of output pin: #1 on 35-pin connector.

Unsure what BB1 means in that chart.

I'm surprised that the DL Sw uses ground and will verify that at the switch. (Any relay can be wired to use GND or + for logic.) The Vansco 'knows' that the headlights are on, so there's no need for the DL switch to 'know'.

Unknown is the output signal being GND or +. The LED's rapid flashing indicates a problem with whichever.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
"BB1" is buss bar #1. Outputs #1-9 are powered by BB1 and outputs #10-18 are powered by BB2. Not of any significance to your problem.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
"BB1" is buss bar #1. Outputs #1-9 are powered by BB1 and outputs #10-18 are powered by BB2. Not of any significance to your problem.
Thanks. I'm comparing the sticker in my coach to that posted on the ACA Tech forum; identical.

BUT: When operating various switches and checking which LEDs light, I see a variance between sticker and coach. Ex: HL switch, parking lights, lights Input 19 (ABS light) and Output 8, supposedly the R turn signal. I see five disagrees, so far, yet virtually everything works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDkey.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	228950  
Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #8

Never completed this and it's frustrating to switch on the DLs and see not output # 6 (as shown on this coach's diagram) light up, but #18!

I'm not going to cut (as EM did) Vansco wires until I am certain which are proper.

I await the new passrod to the ACA docs, but expect only the correct '07 diagram will help. I have 2-3 wrong ones already.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

The driving light input is ground off the driving light switch, gets read by front VMM on Input 16. If that LED lights w/the switch ON then that side of wiring & the input to the VMM is good. If it doesn't light #6 input LED then there is either problem in the VMM or problem in the ground in or out of switch or the switch.

If #6 output doesn't light when Input 16 lights, then there is a VMM internal problem activating that circuit, which is what I had. I snipped the upper left VMM input connector wire# 4 which should be marked DR-LPSW and ran that to ground a relay coil (put 1A fuse on the hot side of coil), and snipped the lower right output connector wire# 34 DR-LP which is 12V power out to driving lights and ran that thru the load contacts of the relay. So you need hot for the coil & hot for the lights; I put a 7.5A or 10A fuse on the light power into the relay.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #10

Thumbs up Superb! THANKS, EM

After installing a coach battery watering system, I got back into this yesterday.

I finally have driving lights that only operate when the IGN is on, via a relay. One more (ground wire to switch) to go! Per your excellent, and much appreciated assist, I'll add the 1A fuse in the relay actuation wire which I ran from one of the power strip lugs near that VANSCO.

I was, but am not now, seeing the VANSCO LEDs respond, as you indicated.

There was, evidently, a short in the DL wires, causing the output LED to flash along with their loss of function. I think that caused me problems, plus the vagueness of the VANSCO. Also, the first relay I used was bad. I'm not certain the diagram glued inside that longish right-side cover panel is correct.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #11

I just finished reading this whole thread, and upon completion, I dropped to my knees, and thanked God that all my Vansco controlled systems are working as advertised, and prayed that I promise to be good for the rest of my life, (or at least as long as I own this coach) if everything just holds together; 'cause I don't have a clue how to work on this thing!
Dudley Do-Right, '06Apex40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote