Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
vansco problems?

We have a 2006 36'MD coach. I seem to be having some minor electrical problems that may related to the Vasco unit. First I was having trouble with the step but I think I resolved that issue for now, but then I went to use the fill system for the batteries and it did not work. I disconnected it and ran 12 volts to it and it works fine. Also the trouble light in the battery bay seems to not work. Are these problems related to the Vansco unit? Speaking of the Vansco system, can someone give me a simple explanation of the system or tell me were to find out such info. I do have a list of all the imput and output lights from the previous owner but don't know exactly what they mean.

Thanks for any help,

wittusen36MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
2) please email me the schematic for inputs & outputs to TechLib at AlpineCoach.org
3) Your Vansco system has 3 parts, a Power Distribution Module and two Multiplexing Modules.
4) The PDM is a dumb device, i.e. it has inputs & outputs that act like simple switches, although the outputs are also like self resetting breakers.
5) The VMM's (V is for Vansco) are more interesting. They are like lightweight computers and can do some logic. Their outputs also include a self resetting breaker feature. In your rear VMM, when you are plugged in & charging off shore power for example, you will see output LED #19 lit which powers the "charging solenoid" that connects house & battery banks so they both charge off the same source. The VMM looks at charge voltage for both house & chassis; when it goes above about 13.1V it assumes there is a charge source & that the respective bank has enough charge that VMM can connect the other bank. It sends 12V out to the solenoid coil, which connects the two banks. Other outputs turn on or off depending on other actions in the system (e.g. cruise control drops off if you tap the brakes which are an input to the front VMM that is behind the kick panel in front of passenger's feet; brake switch input on the front lights the brake lights, brake switch input on front IF Key Is Off starts the auxiliary brake boost motor on the master cylinder).
6) stuff at the dash area, including the VMMs, communicate with the rear operating gear & lights via a "CAN Buss" which is a twisted pair of wires to carry signals. This eliminates a giant fat wad of wires that would otherwise be needed to send/receive all the independent signals from front to back of a rig like ours.
7) Not sure how many of your issues are Vansco. When you are having hincky electrical issues, try shutting off the chassis disconnect switch in the battery box area & turning it back on. This reboots the computer circuits in the Vansco devices. Then check to see if that cured a brain fart giving you a headache.

On our Tech Library site under Chassis, there is a preliminary document explaining all the pinouts in the front PDM & VMM, as well as copies of the VMM manual & PDM manual. The lazy bastard author of the preliminary doc hasn't gotten around to doping out all the pinouts on the rear VMM yet, but he keeps promising to so some day. And I'm still promising.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Vansco problems

Thanks for the reply,

I cannot send the schematic right now because we are in Mexico and do not have great email service. I did find some info on the Vansco web site after much searching. As far as my other issues I will research those more when we return home. Hoping I don't have any major issues.

wittusen36MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
I had a similar problem about 6 years ago with my 2005 36MDDS. It is a late model 2005 and has many of the features of the 2006. I called Mark at WRV. He suggested that I turn off the power switch in the battery compartment, leave it off for a couple of minutes, than turn it back on. His explanation was that it will reset the computer. I did it and everything started working properly.
Capt Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote