RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #1

Vansco VMM and PDM

I just read the post from ZAB regarding the workings of the PDM.

A while back my brother, he has an '05 like mine, ran into a guy somewhere on vacation and they got to talking and as it usually goes they got around to the type of work they do.

The guy said he worked for or has a company in Kansas that deals with wrecked or salvaged MCI buses. My brother asked about the Vanscos and was led to believe that they have them either on the shelf or still in the buses and they are available for sale. They are all used but I believe they are still useable.

I think MCI uses the 2820 just like Alpines. I have no idea if they can be reprogrammed, wiped clean or overwritten, that's for the smart guys to know or figure out.

I'm thinking that the PDMs are probably the same as ours and if so this might be a source for a working PDM for replacement or a spare. I don't know if the PDMs are programmed in any way or if they just sit there and all do they same thing.

Like I said, this is all secondhand information acquired over cocktails on vacation. I'm posting this as a possible source for an item that can be difficult to get.

I am reluctant to post the phone number but if anyone is interested you can PM me and I'll give you the number and you can follow up.

Again I don't know the company or anybody involved with it or even if it's still in business.

Terry

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
ZAB

Alpine Owners Club
vansco pdm

thanks Terry I will try to look into that.

ZAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

FWIW, I did a little looking on line and came up with

Caylor Supply in Kansas 785-878-3405

Worth a look.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

To flesh this thread out a bit, and to answer some of the questions in the op, the Vansco 2820 can be reprogrammed but it needs to be connected to at least two other units that have the new program. My understanding is that there is no stand-alone software available to program the units used in our "old" coaches. Even the Canadian company that is the exclusive supplier needs one of your old, working VMMs to program a new one for you. I believe Engineer Mike has rigged a pig-tail that allows reprogramming of a third, used Vansco to an existing coach's units.

I have also read about the use of the Vansco 2820 in MCI buses and it seems to be a likely source for used, functioning units.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #5

I don't know about reprogramming a used unit, I believe EM has fiddled with them and had some success. If that is the case then a used one from a bus could be an alternative to a new one.

As for programming a new VMM you can do it yourself as long as you have a working one in your MH. I did it when I bought my new one and several others on here have done it as well. It's pretty simple procedure all you have to do is follow the instructions, available on the Tech Library, and you're good to go.

I am always a little nervous when fooling around with expensive electronic stuff.

I wasn't willing to send my working one to JCA in Canada until I had tried it myself. After I programmed mine I got in touch with the supplier JCA and they weren't aware of the self programming procedure. The self programming was one of the Vansco brochures advertising points for commercial use.

I have no experience with the PDM.

Terry