Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Vansco VMM Inputs & Brake Controller, etc.

This has been discussed before, but i can't find where it has been unified, so:
VMM Inputs are (mostly) computer signal inputs, i.e. the labeled white wire out from the VMM is a computer voltage looking for ground. When ground is contacted, the signal indicated to "activate" the applicable function(s).

E.g. Driving Light Switch connects an input to Ground, which tells the VMM computer to send voltage on an Output line to the driving lights. Outputs are auto-resetting breakered lines, most are good for 6A at 12V.

On the Inputs, if you add so much as a relay coil load (<0.2A) to the ground seeking signal, you will over time fry the Input circuit in the VMM. This is a costly mistake. If you get a replacement VMM, its $1,500 for the part & then the labor bill on top. The subject comes up since I'm talking to the second coach owner in a few years to have this happen; she of course had no idea, and probably had a shop do the work to install a brake controller off a relay powered by the brake light Input circuit, and now has no brake lights (which are necessary for brake lights, CC Off signal, and Aux Brake Boost signal that I recall, might be other things powered off brake light signal also that I can't recall).

Good new is- most of these single circuit snafu's can be rectified by taking the signal analog. For my Driving Light switch signal, which came pre-burnt out in my rug, I snipped off the Input & Output wires off the front VMM, tapped new 12V at the large studs at bulkhead, and ran a relay coil to the Switch (still looking for Ground as that was a simple way to leave the wiring the way it was) to power the Output.

For burnt out Brake Light signal its more complicated, but only a matter of hunting down the full compliment of Outputs affected. CC Off is handled by the SmartWheel module, which is also used on Monaco's but in an analog fashion; Aux Brake Boost goes out to the fat relay above the master cylinder and requires power in KeyOff and in KeyON-EngineOff modes so probably two relays new req'd, and of course you have to get power to the brake lights. There is a Rear VMM Output called Brake Signal, which may be to ECM to signal Cancel CC, or it might be to someplace else; if doing this you will have to ascertain what that is & how it operates. Using relays to do the decision making avoids the hefty VMM replacement cost for just one circuit, and will get you on the road faster. For Brake Light signal, the SmartWheel module needs to be reconfigured for analog input and then U need to arrange the appropriate input (see Troubleshooting Guide for SmartWheel on ACA Tech Library site).

If you want to add a trailer brake controller to a Vansco equipped coach, there are threads here on the Alpine forum; use the Search features for full details, e.g. like this thread.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I love when you talk dirty to us normal folk Mike. ����

Jerry and Judy Davis
Fremont, California
05-06 36'FDDS
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
I have added a few LED light circuits to my coach, front step, on door awning and entry lights in a custom wood entry railing. I installed a fused bus bar from the large 12V stud and run all additional powered upgrades from that bus bar.
Jim & Vivian
2007 Alpine Apex
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote