Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Vansco VMM Issues – Follow Up & Solution

Vansco VMM Issues – Follow Up & Solution

I have made at least 5 post concerning the Vansco VMM’s.
Here they are:
"Dead Coach – Stranded"
Trans Comm Err - Engine Comm Err – HELP”
“Engine Won’t Start or Even Crank”
Vansco Module Support
Vansco Question
The problem is now solved. I purchased two new VMM’s from:
JCA Electronics
Office: 204.415.1104 ext. 218
Fax: 204.489.5104
JCA only accepts wire transfers and for two Model 2820 VMM's the total price was $2,760.00 plus $396.00 FedEx and it took 8 days to get to me. After I received the VMM’s I installed the front one and programed it. Everything worked OK. I took it out and programmed the 2nd one, it also worked OK. I left it in and now I have a spare. In the time that I had I removed the factory bolts and replaced them with 4” carriage bolts [heads toward the front and netted to the firewall. Now the bolts are permanent and the VMM slips right on the bolt studs. Put on a couple of nuts and it’s done. Anyway, the new replacement fixed all the problems. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me although the real answer was to get a new VMM [I opted for two]. I removed the sticker from inside the front cover and when I get home I will scan it and post it to the Alpine Library. Thanks Again.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
How do you program the modules? Glad you're back in business!
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

JCA is one who programs the modules. They have a special computer software to program them.

When you get it from JCA, you don't really program it. You leave the one in that works and replace the bad one with the new one. It communicates through the twisted wires to learn from the good one. I have done it before to have a spare. It is not that hard to replace one, except for the cost.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Vansco VMM replacement instructions.

Programming the Vansco VMM’s

Extend the slide out to get to the nuts on the bolts that hold the VMM to the firewall.

Read all of the instructions first before starting.

1 - Turn ignition key to ON position & leave ON.
2 - Turn OFF chassis disconnect in battery compartment.
3 - Unplug FRONT VMM.
4 - Do Not unbolt the front VMM.
5 - Plug-in new front VMM – just let it hang there.
6 - Turn ON chassis disconnect, leave on for five minutes (This Will Load Software)
7 - Turn OFF Chassis Disconnect For Two Minutes, But Not More Than Three Minutes. ****THIS STEP 7 IS VERY IMPORTANT ****
8 - Turn ON chassis disconnect again, leave ON for five minutes. (This will load ladder logic).
9 - Check and see if this procedure worked by starting the engine ---- if OK continue.
Do not install the next VMM until the FRONT one works. If it does not work repeat above procedure for the FRONT VMM until it works. If something does not work try programming again.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
10 - Turn OFF chassis disconnect, repeat steps 3 thru 8 for the next VMM.
11 - Make sure engine starts. Check all chassis functions. HWH, Slideouts & Jacks, Heater Blower, Headlights, Windshield Fans, Turn Signals, Brake Lights, etc. All these items and more are controlled by the Vansco VMM’s
12 - Unbolt old VMM’s and bolt in the new ones.

Remember: Both VMM’s have the same program & ladder logic. Therefore they can be switched back and forth. If the problem follows the VMM – then it is at fault. If the problem stays in the front or back – then the problem is in the wiring or chassis grounds or other chassis items.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

Ouch!! But Thanks

Hey TJ, thank you for sharing your problem and solution with us. I am glad to see that the VMM's are still available. I am not real pleased with the cost and having to deal with a Canadian vendor. For now I don't have a problem but you never know what the future holds.
I am really glad you are back on the road and have a spare to boot!

Thanks Again
Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #6

When I bought my spare Vansco, we were able to buy direct from Vansco, which is no longer the case. At that time mine came all programmed and I was able to just plug it in and worked fine. Now that we have to buy from JCA, it looks like you have to program them yourself.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote