Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We are preparing to do some extended travel and plan to use cell phone technology for internet access. Verizon offers two levels of service, one card offers 50 Megs of useage per month and the other 5 Gigs per month.The higher limit costs more (of course). I don't want to pay for more than I really need nor do I want to run out of useage prior to the end of the month. So... for folks accessing the internet this way, what has been your experience in this area? Any thoughts, insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We are preparing to do some extended travel and plan to use cell phone technology for internet access. Verizon offers two levels of service, one card offers 50 Megs of useage per month and the other 5 Gigs per month.The higher limit costs more (of course). I don't want to pay for more than I really need nor do I want to run out of useage prior to the end of the month. So... for folks accessing the internet this way, what has been your experience in this area? Any thoughts, insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #3

Jeff,
I have Verizon Broadband Rev A service but when I signed up for it I got "unlimited acess" for $60 a month. dont even know what my usage is (although I have looked at my bill but since it is unlimited I really didnt pay attention)
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #4

Just signed up for a trial. Chose the $60 plan because the $40 gives you only about an hour per week (per the Verizon Rep). So far it works well in the Willamette Valley (Oregon).
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Jeff and Cheryl...
I have put a shortcut down to the "Technology Forum" so you get more feedback from some of the overall forum members...
By the way...we have the unlimited verizon...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I just looked at my usage since 7/8/08 it shows I have used 101,337.38kb. I usually only do this website forum and email. On the weekends I might Do a little research on something. It all depends on what you are going to do on line as to how many bites you will need. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #7

Jeff,

When traveling, I've been using Verizon Broadband service for about 2 years. Even with very minimal access to Email, News, and IRV2.COM, I easily far exceed 50 Mbytes per month.

Think about it - one Email from a friend with a couple of pictures attached can be 1-10 Mbytes. You only need a few of these to exceed 50Mbytes.

Both my wife and I do about the same amount of access, so that doubles the usage.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Jeff I say go for the 50 megs, better to have time left over then, rather paying for extra ussage !!! I have had my USB720 Air Card since mid Feb. I have the the $60 a month plan with unlimited access, and have used it from NJ to Fla with no problems at all. As of today my usage from Mid Feb is 534,885.71 KB !!
Old 06-15-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff and Cheryl:
We are preparing to do some extended travel and plan to use cell phone technology for internet access. Verizon offers two levels of service, one card offers 50 Megs of useage per month and the other 5 Gigs per month.The higher limit costs more (of course). I don't want to pay for more than I really need nor do I want to run out of useage prior to the end of the month. So... for folks accessing the internet this way, what has been your experience in this area? Any thoughts, insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a link that will give you an idea on what it would take to use 5GB's a month. Personally, I would go with the 5GB plan because when you go over any plan setting, usuage charges will/can be VERY pricey.
What 5GB will get me
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:50 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff and Cheryl,

Don't purchase from a Verizon retail store - the people there have very little idea of EVDO is. There is an EVDO Info site that will give you great information on what you need and link to the 3G Store which is where we purchased our card. You want the unlimited service. 50 Megs of useage will get you almost nothing. I downloaded a 200 Mg program update this morning and uploaded about 200 Mg of pictures to our web site. We use about 2.5 Gb a month - we're fulltimers who have a web page and a blog, and do almost all of our mail/financial/other business online. Have had the aircard for 2 years and we are finding broadband service in more and more areas all of the time.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #11

I use a Sprint Broadband card for $59.99 per month. It has worked flawlesslsy for about 2 years. Unlimited service.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Coleman:
I use a Sprint Broadband card for $59.99 per month. It has worked flawlesslsy for about 2 years. Unlimited service. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sprint recently announced a 5 Gb limit.
See SITE
Old 06-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you do anything other than very basic email downloaded direct to your computer (not webmail), get the 5 GB service. 50 MB is nothing if you access websites for much of anything and you will easily exceed that amount.

I'm using Sprint rather than Verizon, but both are excellent.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Thank-you all for the information, and ideas. It would seem that the 5 Gig is the way to go. Not unlimited, strictly speaking, but for all intent it is the same as. At $60/month, it seems to be what others are paying. MM thank-you for linking the topic to the Tech forum. Barbara, the link is very helpful, I've added it to my favorites. Hugh, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band sounds like great fun. Iron Mike, our plan is to take the MH to Alaska next summer, your experience with the Verizon card is greatly appreciated.